Tobacco, my only friend

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Magus, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I guess I was never seriously addicted. My last cigarette was in May of 1983, right after my first daughter was born. I'd decided to quit rather than expose her to second-hand smoke, but the day after the wife and kid came home from the hospital, I snuck out a pack of Turkish cigs given to me by a friend. I took two puffs, then my wife called from upstairs, "Are you smoking down there?" I realized then there was no halfway, and haven't smoked since. The urge disappeared after about a week I suppose.

I'm sure it's harder for some people than others to give up. But of course suffering for lack of a smoke is probably better than suffering through emphysema,lung cancer, or COPD. I've seen enough associates get to that point (all smokers or recent nonsmokers).

And you will get older and probably regret smoking if you don't quit.

Carly Berg likes this.