1. ianfort

ianfort New Member

Too many ideas, yet at the same time, too little

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ianfort, Jul 8, 2009.

I have an idea for a world in which a possible science-fantasy novel might take place. I've been thinking a lot about this world, and the image of it has grown very complex. I have, in fact, though of so many concepts, themes, and details of this world that I am having a lot of trouble bringing it all together so that it fits into a coherent plot. Even more troublesome is the fact that in order for this world to truly work, I'll probably need to think of even more elements.

Deciding what the plot will be is another issue. I have two incomplete plot ideas, one of which I've since decided should be rethought, and the other would best take place in a later installment in the series (if this becomes a series, anyway.) With all that, I feel like I'm back to square one as far as plot goes.

I have even less in the realm of characters. What little I have created is not much to talk about. most of them are quite vague in my mind, and the main character, as I discovered shortly after devising him, basically has a personality identical to my own.

I intend for the world in my novel to contain a variety of sentient species, however, I have come up with very little of any of their personalities, and virtually nothing in their physical appearances.

I am really lost as to what to do. I have a large amount of back story, little plot, and even less characters. Should I try writing up outlines? (I'm not good at doing outlines, just so you know.) Should I just start writing the story and see where it takes me? Should I just wait for more inspiration to strike? I've been told many times that I'm a good writer, but most of my experience comes from short essays for school (which I hate doing, by the way,) and its been a while since I've written anything, so its possible that I've grown rusty. I believe that if I pull this off, it will make an excellent novel, but right now, the task seems extremely daunting.

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't think anyone can tell you which method is right for you. In these threads, we often just suggest different methods and ways of getting started. But you know what those are already. The secret for you, then, would be to just relax and have a good time. If that's the way your mind works, it might be a good idea to get all your ideas written down so you have an easier time organizing them. If you have an easier time going with the flow, then just start writing and see which ideas take hold.

3. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Beware the World Builder Disease. It's easy to spend more time crafting a universe then actually writing a story set in that universe. And besides, most of the time you don't need a highly detailed world. At least not right away; its fine to let it grow as you go along.

Now, different authors write in different ways, so it's hard to say what you need to do to get the story going. I would work on my characters, though, since my plots are heavily character driven.

Also, consider your themes and motifs. Everyone focuses on plots, and they're nice to have, of course. But I personally don't consider them that important. The plot is just what happens. Themes and motifs is what the story is actually about.