1. Hazing Insanity

Hazing Insanity New Member

Too much of a coincidence

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Hazing Insanity, Aug 26, 2012.

I've been wanting to write a trilogy for a while now. From what I've read it's best to write each book as if it were just one complete story. I've been able to do that for most of the first story, but there's a part that really bothers me.

I have this character that isn't supposed to appear until the last book, but is casually mentioned and implied to be stalking the main characters throughout the first two books. While he never actually speaks to the main characters in the first book, he does actually save one of their lives. But since he never actually appears in the story, I'm afraid it might come off as too much of a coincidence.

Does anyone have any advice, please?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is not a good idea to begin your writing career with a trilogy. Publishers are seriously not interested in trilogies from unpublished writers.

Write a stand-alone novel first. Not a sneaky trilogy lead-in, but a truly stand-alone novel. That will be challenge enough.

Your question hints at the greater challenge in writing a trilogy, even if publishers were open to new author trilogies. Each book must truly stand on its own, and yet each must occupy an essential role in the trilogy as well.

3. Hazing Insanity

Hazing Insanity New Member

Thank you for the advice. I actually do have a stand-alone novel in mind, but I was having a lot of trouble focusing on it due to certain aspects of the above mentioned story that were bothering me.