1. DoctorFitz

DoctorFitz Member

Torn between two options to sacrifice my side character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DoctorFitz, Nov 2, 2019.

So here's the case: the side character im working on right now was a big jerk who did a lot of bad things to MC in the past. But in the present, after a revenge attempt from MC failed due to an unexpected event, they set aside their past to team up and eliminate the threat. Near the end of the story, i want him to have a redemption arc where he would sacrifice himself in order to move MC to next point of the story, with hope that MC would forgive him after everything is over.

Im thinking about two options to do the sacrifice thing:

1. The "blocking the undodgable fatal attack to save MC" style which is more simple to write, but in my opinion, was used too many times
    2. Risking his life by using his own body as a source of power to open a portal to another dimension, in which MC could defeat antagonist safely

And while im at it, should i just kill him off after that and make an honorary funeral scene in the end, or keep him alive, but physically deformed (or such) for the rest of his life?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

You know, if you end up canvassing opinion on all your plot and writing decisions, you'll end up confusing yourself more and never finishing it.

Write the one that YOU like best. If you like them both equally, plot out the consequences of both choices and see which one contributes most to the story.

Good luck.

DoctorFitz likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

what nao said - although tbh the whole sacrifice the side character to save the MC trope is way over done

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    EFMingo, DoctorFitz and Naomasa298 like this.
  4. DoctorFitz

DoctorFitz Member

Thank you for both of you. Now i've made up my mind and i know what to do with him