1. Stacks

Stacks New Member

Touch typing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Stacks, May 6, 2009.

Hi,

Apologies if i have put this in the wrong forum. I am looking for some good PC touch typing tutorial software. Can anyone suggest anything good. My standard at the moment is pretty poor.

Many Thanks

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all you really need to do is keep doing it... the more you do, the better you'll get at it...

i doubt spending money on any software is going to get you there any sooner than if you just practice, practice, practice...

3. David_1988

David_1988 New Member

I have been using a wonderful piece of software called TypingMasterPro. It has helped me greatly. I'm not sure of the price because I managed to download it for free! Hope that helps

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are stealing intellectual property, please don't brag about it here.

The software mentioned DOES have a trial download period, but has a purchase price of 39.90USD. There is a web appliacation by them whichis available for use at no charge.

5. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

I have recently found that I know where the letters are and I've never had any formal training so I guess that all it will take is, as Mammamaia said, practise and more practise.

I suppose it is because I have spent so much time at this keyboard that I didn't leave my brain any choice but to learn where the keys were... :)

6. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Each finger has it's own set of keys. A simply typing-tuter from a book shop will include a diagram of 'Homekeys', along with the required 'finger exercises'. Get this down, with practice, and you're onto a winner. From my experience, once you learn how to type, there's no going back.:)

7. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

this might seem a bit childish but we used to use this at school
    it really helps

touch type game

8. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I have to disagree with the "just keep at it" advice. As with any other skill, if you practice without knowing the proper way, you'll learn the wrong way. Granted, typing is a personal thing, but I believe that if you learn properly, you'll type a little faster. I got to the point of being able to type without looking on my own, but I was still finger typing and it was slow going. Then, I was forced to learn for my college computer class. 4 months of non stop typing with the school program and I eventually learned the technique. Granted, I skipped past the keys that weren't letters, but whatever. lol

Anyway, I ended up practicing at home with programs I found online. I great resource for free programs is to google some Freeware programs. Programmers out there make just about any program imaginable for fun and practice and make them available to the public. Just make sure you are aware of the threat of viruses and are properly protected. A source I trust is freewarehome.com

Hopefully it helps.

9. Atari

Atari Active Member

Well, really, sweetchaos, as long as you learn the basics properly, then you can learn everything else without any kind of tutorial, but with mere practice.

Basics:

Left hand: Pinky on the a, ring finger on the s, middle finger on the d, forefinger on the f, and thumb on the spacebar.

Right hand: Forefinger on the j, middle finger on the k, ring finger on the l, and pinky on the semicolon/colon and thumb, likewise, on the spacebar.

Of course, then you should learn where each finger is supposed to move to press each key. . . phew. Too much to type, here.

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I've never used software that teaches typing technique (I learned to type in elementary school...we had lessons on it like twice a week), but I've seen cds that teach it in office supply stores, some for as low as around $10. I don't know how well they work...but they're there.

11. dagda24

dagda24 New Member

Each to Their Own

I've learnt to touch type just by typing lots and often. It's something that just seemed to happen without me realising. It's funny but as soon as I think about it, I start hitting the wrong keys.

I tried following the rules at school for the right fingers hitting the right keys but found it the most difficult thing, for some reason. I have quite funny shaped hands and to hit any of the keys with my little finger means turning my hands in a way that pulls my forefingers away from the keys.

I'm probably just an alien mutant and my parents forgot to tell me!

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yay! I have a sister! And she's British! How cool is that?!?!:D

I took typing in school (do they even still offer it?) Like Dagda, in no way do I follow the finger/key stroke pattern which I was taught. I am not an executive assistant, I do not have to re-enter info from hardcopy, so I find no benefit in the ability to look away from the key board when I am typing. I can type a good 45 woopums, which is just faster than my brain can usually produce them. Anything more is as silly as a Ferrari in a town with a 35 mile per hour max speed limit and a cop on every corner.

13. MrJoey

MrJoey New Member

Don't waste your money on software. I can comfortably touchtype at 75 WPM, which is faster than I can type when I'm looking at my keys.. doesn't make sense, I know. My point is I've never used any software or had any 'tuition'.. I think learning to touch type is like learning to walk, you have to learn in baby steps.

It comes with experience, and no 'Learn to touch type in 24 hours!' software is going to give you that experience.

14. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I have two things to say about this comment. 1) WTF is everyone obsessed with the British? 2) Being British isn't everything.

15. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I never took typing lessons or any type of tutorials on a computer. At first I used to chicken peck the keys using only my index fingers. Then after I got tired of always needing to look at the keys, I started typing in the normal fashion, with index fingers on the J and F keys. I do do a few weird things like I hit my backspace button with my middle finger, I don't use my left shift key at all, and the numbers always have to be looked at.

I found that the more I typed with my fingers in the right place, even though I was still looking at the keys for several weeks, it became easier and easier the longer I typed. I can average about 87 words per minute now, up from like 20 when I first started typing. I can get going on a role and whip out 115 words per minute, but that is not my constant rate.

For me writing has helped my spelling and typing ability. I never look at my keys when I am typing anymore, and rarely does the spell check catch a wrong word. I've been actively writing on a laptop for 7 years. The learning curve is pretty quick in the beginning only taking a few weeks to stop looking at the keys. Then from there it slows and you will only notice subtle improvement as the years go by, speed improves, spelling improves, and the typing becomes second nature.

16. MrJoey

MrJoey New Member

We get free health care :redface:

17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It's just my cute way of saying hello to a newbie and to indicate that I am multi-culturally friendly.

'Das all.

Ain't no thing but a fried chicken wing on a string, Miss Thing. :rolleyes:

18. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Because they're smarter and more cultured than anyone else in the world. You can tell because of the accents and the tea.

And it's the mother country! No matter how much you dislike her, you've always gotta respect your mamma.

Word to yo' mom. :cool:

19. dagda24

dagda24 New Member

Alas, if only that were true. 90% of the time, when a Brit turns up in an American film it usually indicates that they're the evil baddy of doom. :(

20. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

That's because she's a manipulative, controlling mother. After all, we had to fight a war before she'd let us move out of the house. But we still respect her. Because she has an accent. And tea. And James Bond. It never pays to disrespect your mom when her favorite son has access to guns and martinis.

21. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

It's bizarre, really. The people that founded Britain (i.e. the Gaels/Scots) have more or less forgotten about that. And the people that founded America (mostly Britain...in a roundabout way) have forgotten about that. Only Americans really care about this stuff ;)

22. littleparisdress

littleparisdress New Member

I recently perfected touch typing by researching and using a series of free, online, legal typing programs.
    To learn properly, I suggest starting on this website. It really helped me and it isn't boring.
    http://www.nimblefingers.com/

Then, you can google 'free typing games' which allow you to perfect your typing or go to the following websites:

http://www.freetypinggame.net/ (This website has lessons, games and tests which are fun... it helped to perfect and build up speed)
    http://www.typingtest.com/ (This website is also good for a quick test now and then)

Hope this helped, and remember to google 'free online typing...' for good, inexpensive, helpful results.