1. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

traitor

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by boesjwoelie, Mar 17, 2010.

I have been working on this story. I've got the plot more or less figured out, but I have found this problem:
    There was to be a traitor in the story, who I have been developing. But now that I know him a little better, I really like him.
    So much so, that I kind of feel bad about making him a traitor... but not doing so would of course cripple my story.

Has anyone had this problem before? And how did you solve it?

2. rainy

rainy New Member

You make him the traitor, but give him a valid reason for his actions. It'll add depth.

Don't let sympathy and adoration for your character get in the way of a really good story :)

//R

3. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie New Member

Well sure I could give him a reason to do what he does, but if he promises to guide the main characters through the mountains, and instead hands him over to the villains, he is still going to be a traitor...
    But you're right I guess, it needs to be done :p

thanks

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

You tell the characters what to do, not the other way. :p

5. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

If it feels bad to make him a traitor, but he clearly should be, then it will be an excellent story. Just like how scenes that make you cry will likely ring truer to readers, if it causes the right reaction in the writer, it'll help the readers feel it too.

6. Centurion

Centurion New Member

Give him a good reason why, so that people will understand. People like that can be liked even though they are traitors, you just have to give them a good reason and a sense of humor.