trouble with appreciating foreign lit

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mckk, Sep 24, 2014.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wish I was like Harold Williams, who could speak over 58 languages and dialects.

jazzabel and Mckk like this.
  2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

@Lemex - lol no need to be jealous of me - my grasp of Chinese is very basic. I can read Chinese probably up to the equivalent of the English in Hunger Games or Harry Potter. I wouldn't understand proper literature unfortunately - but that's why I'm starting to think I should try and pick it up again. I'm also thinking when I finally have kids, I would consider putting them through Chinese school or hiring someone to teach them the writing. It's such a feat to learn once you're an adult!

Currently I'm going through a bit of a Chinese craze so I'm now listening to Chinese music lol. Still more interested in Cantonese though, but then again, I'm biased :D

Lemex likes this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This reminds me of a polyglot I found online. He got to conversational level with various languages in the space of 3 months - including Mandarin - which is pretty cool! Mind you, if you're learning in order to understand literature, it'll probably take much longer than 3 months!

I wonder how that Williams guy managed to learn that many languages in one lifetime??

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I always wondered whether there's a degree of synaesthesia, or savant in the extreme polyglot(?ism), especially since the learning continues into adulthood, whereas normally, the older we are the harder it gets to learn a new language. Having said that, if one knows the right basic combination of languages, they could easily master a load more, based on the grammar and vocabulary hey already know.

Mckk likes this.
  5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

This is why I'm impressed with the members of the Nobel Prize committee. They each know a few languages at the academic level, which is more impressive than simply being fluent in those languages.

Mckk likes this.