True That

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by stevesh, Jan 12, 2015.

1. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I'd like to apologize to the community for starting this thread. I thought it might be a place where we could post our own 'truisms' about books and all have a little laugh. Instead, as usual, it's descended into argument and sarcasm. I won't be offended if a moderator wants to delete the thread. I'd do it myself if I had the juice.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

It's just par the course here. :D

But yes, if you think we've gone way off track, let a mod know and they'll lock/delete it.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

(Serious question: am I missing something? Everything on this thread seems quite jovial? :confused:)

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

But we're kind of making fun of the OP. Guess he doesn't like that.

5. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

No one does, cupcake.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sorry 'bout that. We were having fun, not trying to hurt you.

7. Void

Void Senior Member

I had to re-read the thread in case I somehow missed the point at which it became vicious enough to warrant a lock/delete; I'm yet to find this elusive point.
    Aside from a few casual quibbles, none of the posts seemed born out of offence or intended to cause it.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

For the record, I didn't make fun of you. I'm sorry if you think I did (saying that just in case - I'm not saying you are accusing me of anything).

9. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

@stevesh, I didn't intend for my sarcasm to be at your expense and I certainly don't have an issue with the topic. I thought I was being light-hearted and 'having a little laugh,' though I do see that can easily be offensive. Sarcasm is usually kind of mean, now that I think about it.

Of all threads that 'descend' like this, though, I think one that involves labeling primary styles or features of books as sure signs of low quality (even jokingly) is likely going to get that reaction from a community of writers. You may as well have started off with: "If the protagonist's thoughts are/aren't in italics..."

Touchy subjects:unsure:.

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Like I already told you, Steve, if they hurt your feelings again you just have to let them know.

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

You might. Enough monkeys and enough typewriters might produce the works of Shakespeare. They haven't yet, though.

12. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Don't get down about forums @stevesh, it wastes your time. In the main your point is right.

I like the books where they stick all the 'hate reviews' on the jacket, that's always funny.

I read a 'NY Times Bestseller' about crematoriums and it was a horrible read - really heavily marketed but the POV was a little squiff and the prose flabby, dull - so a 'marketing triumph.' Then earlier I'd read a 'Penniless Round Britain' which was published by his Mum, I think, and whilst it was often terrible, it has stuck with me. Kind of weirdo, you know: an old hippy and his dog begging for a 1000 miles, inspirational.

How about that, eh? Walking around the country without any money?

In the old days we used to have tramps and it was accepted practice they'd shuffle to the door for scraps and stuff, I miss those guys. If I got a dog I could do it, get published, but I need the dog first.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015