True to One's Self

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cacian...
    the word 'true' in that expression refers to the 'loyal' definition of the word... not 'true' as in saying what's what's not a lie, or untrue...

this is another case where you're confusing yourself by not understanding that the same word can have very different meanings/definitions...

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    if you want something a little more abstract, this is a really good summarization of what Kierkegaard thought on the subject.
    http://theosproject.blogspot.com/2009/05/kierkegaard-and-self.html

That said, all this "learn to use a dictionary" crap is incredibly rude, assholes. Language has this wonderful thing called complexity. There is more than semantic meaning (which is what you find in a dictionary) to any word or clause or setence. For instance, if all there was to a word was a definition, then the sentence "Superman is Clark Kent" wouldn't be informative. What Cacain is trying to do is to get at the conventional (human) use of language.

Or, if all that mattered was propositional content (the stuff you find in a dictionary), then nothing would be lost if we were to translate a sentence into propositional logic, such as what Google does when you enter a query. However, "p V q; ~ p : q" is missing emotional, cultural, and God only knows what other sorts of meaning when compared to what is supposed to represent, such as (Either He will do well on the test or He will kill my self. He didn't kill myself, so he must've done well).

The fact of the matter is that when we communicate something, it includes more than the definition of the words, like when I say, "I'm cold," I can communicate to you "close the window," or when a girl I dated said "dancing sounds like fun," she actually did communicate, "I want to go dancing."

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Have you read a lot of Cacian's posts? People have frequently provided detailed, nuanced explanations of the things that Cacian has been confused about. Cacian has ignored or rejected these explanations, often correcting people on their own language. Patience is wearing thin.

Frankly, I thought my explanation earlier in the thread was pretty decent. It was, as I expected, utterly ignored.

4. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

A) I think it's pretty rude to call someone an asshole and even worse to call a whole group by the same name, without making distinction.
    B) The topic starter, Cacian, has a habit of starting threads about the meaning of words that show rhyme nor reason. When asked to elaborate Cacian frequently misquotes online dictionaries. And Cacian persists in the interpretation, even when corrected by forum members.
    C) I, the asshole you're probably referring to since your post comes directly after my post, merely pointed out that confusing the words in the synonym list with the actual meaning of a word is not correct, so Cacian should learn how to read the dictionary he's using.
    D) My intention was to be helpful, but if you think my post is rude/inappropriate, there is a button that you can use to report my post to the moderators.

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Dear Amsterdam I just need to let you know that I am a She.
    I do understand your concerns and must let youlearn that they are duly noted.

6. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

I meant to type s/he to respect your abhorrence to gender specification. :D
    By the way, why the sudden capitalization of She? I thought you didn't like capitalization.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ferret...
    any further rudeness of that sort will be reported... be polite or go find yourself a site where such childish crudity is allowed... it isn't here...