1. junior

junior New Member

Try hard to write something.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by junior, Jan 22, 2011.

Hi everybody,

My name Junior. I'm from Vietnam. English is not my language. I 've just moved in US for 3 months ago. I must try hard to understand what people saying and thinking. That makes me crazy a lot. Today, I came around in the Internet and I found this website. I am really happy. I think I could write something in here and learn many things to become the good writer.
    I hope I can make many friends in here . I'm sorry if I write something wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Hope you have a nice weekend :)

Junior.

matwoolf likes this.
  2. Hi Junior, welcome to the forums. This site can definitely help you better understand the English language. Your post may be moved to the Introductions section. I hope to read more of your posts in the future. Good luck!

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Hi Junior.

We certainly do welcome ESL people here. One of our senior members, Mamamaia, does a lot of work with people in your situation.

You may find that when you post, if the others here can be critical of your abilities at first, they become very accepting when it is explained that you are still learning English.

Good luck.

-Frank

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Welcome, junior

5. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Good luck to you Junior!

What part of the US did you move to?

I suggest buying some fun science fiction and fantasy novels as a way to learn English better. The enjoyment of reading will make it less work. My mother in-law learned English in that way.

6. D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts New Member

Welcome Junior,
    Don't feel bad. I've lived in the U.S. all my life and I still sometimes struggle with the English.:)

7. A Cat

A Cat New Member

Hello

Hi, Junior!

I am also an ESL person...sorta. I'm from Russia originally, and I moved to Canada about four years ago.
    My advise would be - read as much as you can! :) That really helped me back then. Newspapers, fantasy books, fiction - everything counts!
    Hope you would enjoy living in US

8. junior

junior New Member

Hi all

@ All : You guys are so nice to me . I 'm appreciate about that . Thank you a lot :). And nice to meet you.

@Hi J.Watson: I'm sorry If I post this topic in the wrong section. I plan to create a new topic in here so that I can post something happen around me ( like my diary online ? ). Because I think the more I can write the more I can improve my writing skills. I hope you guys dont feel it boring.
    Sometime I said something or write something but no one can understand what I'm saying ~_~. That make me confuse a lot. Because I can't describe what i'm thinking.
    Anyway. Thank you a lot

@ Hi FrankABlissett : Thank you so much . I'll find about that

@ Islander : Hi Islander. Nice to meet you.

@ Hi Allegro Van Kiddo: I 've just moved in Dallas Texas. The weather in here make me sick a lot ~_~. I haven't any friends in here. That's so sad :( . I dont know how to make a new friend in here .
    Thanks for suggest. I'll try to read English books more

@ Hi D.T.Roberts: When I read your comment , I feel ease . Thank you about that. Whenever I see your avatar , It make me laugh a lot. I think you are a funny guy. By the way , nice to talk to you.

@ Hi A cat : I think you really a cute cat . J.k. Thank you so much. I'll try my best to learn English more. I heard Russia is a nice place, if I have chance , I 'll go there someday. Anyway, have a nice weeken . :)

9. Manav

Manav New Member

Hi, Junior,

Good to see another person who is not a native English speaker. I can assure you this place is going to be very helpful. Participate as much as you can in all the activities here, and by the end of a month or two you'll see that you have learned many new words. Don't hold back, all you have to do is to just ask. You'll be surprise with all the help you'll get from the members.

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hi Junior,

Welcome to the boards! :) I visited South Korea about 7 years ago; that's near Vietnam, isn't it?

It's great that you're striving to improve your English. Do you like to write fiction stories, or mainly just diary entries to improve your writing in general?

If you would like me to critique anything, please feel free to PM me. :)

11. junior

junior New Member

@Manav: I just want to say thank you so much :)
    @Mallory: Nice to meet you.
    I like to write so much. But my problem is I cant think anything. Whenever I begin to start to write a fiction, my ideals are run away from me. (*_*). So, I think I'm not a good writer. But I'll try it later.
    In this topic, I want to share my diary online and try to write something in English in here.
    Again. I'm very happy to talk to you.

12. Xeniyah

Xeniyah New Member

Hey Junior,

you are very welcome here! I'm an ESL person as well, I live in the Netherlands and I do struggle with my English sometimes. This site can definitely help you improve your English!

Cheers,
    Xeni~

13. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

I just wanted to say you have very good English even though its its not your native language.

And welcome to the forums

14. junior

junior New Member

Hi Xeniyah and kablooblab: I just want to say thank you a lot. You don't know how much I feel happy whenever I come in this topic and read all of your comments to me. It make my day.

The life in Vietnam is very difference in the US. The big different between both of them which make the people hard to begin in the new life in here is independence life.

In my country , when a child was born, his parents took care almost his life. That's why he didn't do anything. Because they took care of him, they thought they love him so they should do everything for him. It made his life is worse when he grow up. He can't do anything. Whenever he got a trouble, the first thing he think is his parents, and he need them help immediately. What happen if one day his parents die? Or if he should come to another country or something like that, it make he do it by himself. It's really terrible.

I am one of kid in that case. That's why I fear so much when I'm living here. I fear about everything. In college, I dont know how to begin a conversation with new friends. One time, when I take a long time to complete a sentence when I'm trying to talk with the straight friend I realize he disapeared. Maybe he doesnt want to talk to me or doest want to try to understand what I'm saying . Or maybe they thought I'm trying to talk to myself instead of talking with them. I dont know. ~_~. Being a foreign person make me shy a lot.
    The second thing I much deal is make money. I know if I say that " I never do anything before , that make you think I'm lazy" . But the fact is I never go to work and make money before. That's why I'm very upset when I find a job in here. Everywhere need person can talk English and have many skill about the job, but I'm not.
    So, I think I never give up. Whenever I got a trouble, I believe God always help me. He see me and he want me have strenght.
    Today I come to the restaurant, I ask them would they need me do something in there ? And they talk they want to think before they hire me. The only thing I can do in here is pray. I hope I have a job and I can take care my family.

( I'm sorry if I make you guys feel asleep when you read my diary :) )

Thank you so much whenever you help me correct my grammars and ideals .

15. Mallory

Hi Junior,

I think it's very admirable that you are staying strong and working hard while maintaining a positive attitude. And making friends in a place where you're new is ALWAYS hard, even if you've spoken the language your whole life. :)

If you are in college, the college probably has an Asian-American club or an International Student club. I bet joining one of those would help you make friends, because you would meet more people who speak your language or who at least can identify with feeling foreign. :)

16. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

you said "the life in vietnam is very difference in the US" it would make more sense if you said "The life in vietnam is very different than in the US"

Also where you say "the big different between" it would make more sense if you said "the big difference between"

17. junior

junior New Member

@Hi Mallory: I'll try to make friend in here and join in the club at college. :) Thank you for your suggesting me.
    @Hi kablooblab: I'm greatly appreciate your help. Thank you so much.
    ____

Dear diary,

Today was really a long day for me. I had three ESL class this morning and one PE class this afternoon. It made me exhausted.
    After I finished my class, I came to the teacher PE 's office and asked him about the writing test, because I was very nervous about it. He very nice to me. He taught me how to download the document from my account. We had an interesting conversation. I surprised a lot when I realized that he had an Ph.D degree about biology. That's also my major in Vietnam. He said that if I need his help , let him know.
    From the first time I came here to now I received many helps from many people around me. I always thankful a lot. I think the people in here is very nice :)

Anyway, I had a special day today. Thank you so much God. I love you always.

18. Mallory

Hi!

Wow, your English is REALLY good so far. :D

One thing, though: if you're talking about a plural of something (more than one), you usually put an "s" at the end of it, or an "es" if the word ends with "s" already.
    Example:
    Friend --> Friends (if you are talking about more than one friend)
    Class --> Classes (more than one class)

I hope that made sense!

I'm glad for you about the nice teacher. Helpful professors make life easier!

19. junior

junior New Member

Dear diary,

The first time I came to the PE class, I really scared. When I came the class early, I met a guy, he sat in front of the class door. I asked him about the class. After I made sure that I came in right class. I sat next to him and waiting for the teacher. Have many person came to class but noone want to sit next to me, except Joanna. She sat next to me and do something with her cellphone. I didn't have any impressive with her. Untill some class after, I realized that she sat on her foot. And she has many habits like a traditional girl in my country eventhough she lived in the US for 10 years and she is from Chinese. In PE class, she is the only person want to make friend with me. At least, when I ask she'll answer my questions and pleasure to repeat her sentences slowly when I cant hear what 's she saying.
    I dont know what I'm thinking ~_~. But I really excited whenever monday or Wed coming. What should I do ? ~_~ sign

20. Mallory

Hi, that is really awesome about your new friend. :)

By the way, in American culture, people like to have a lot of personal space, so people don't usually sit right next to someone unless it's a friend who they already know well. So if no one sits next to you, it's probably just because of this, not because they don't like you for some reason. :)

I'm happy for you about your new friend. It's exciting. Don't worry, you'll make lots more. It just takes some time.

1 person likes this.
  21. junior

junior New Member

Thank you so much Mallory. You gave me more strength to live here.

Today is one of my best day god gave for me.
    Firstly, I refuse my friend's invite so that I can wait for a long time before the PE class begin, to wait for Joanna come in class and sit next to her eventhough it just a little bit moment. I really happy about that. I'm happy because I can see her face, I can see her smile and I can talk to her a little bit, because almost time we just sit and dont talk anything. I really like the moment when we sat in front of the door and dont do anything.

When the class time is out. I want to try in it a little bit time and I ask Joanna's facebook. I had a whole day in my school. I really exhausted. But when I think I'm come home and open the laptop, figure her facebook , see her face, my tired is out.

Tonight, I realize that she had a boyfriend. They look happy and cute couples :). My heart almost broken again. I don't know why. Because I 've just met her, I even dont know anything about her except a real name, facebook and her face. That's all.

I had a long time to make myself get out of my ex-lover. A long time I didn't see another girl around me. I really surprise because I had feeling with Joanna. It is the first time I love a girl just some day ?

I can't be a third person in her relationship. I never want to become a person make anything wrong in some one life. Then, I decided forget her. Even though, I really hurt inside.....

When I'm typing this post, my feeling really down. ~_~

_____

I'm very sorry if I make you read my post and have a sad felling

22. Mallory

Awww. :( But hey, you and her can be just regular friends at least, right? :)

And I'm glad my last post helped.

23. junior

junior New Member

Hey Mallory. Every time I read your comments for me, I really happy :). Thank you for that.
    I hope you always happy.

_____

Today, I didn't go to school because the weather is so bad, snow everywhere. Everybody like snow because it's beautiful, me neither. Everytime I see snow, I felt cold and lonely. The only reason I like snow because I dont need to go to school :p. I like shine, warm and a little bit wind :)
    I had a day in my bed. I lack of sleep a long time, today is chance for me to sleep :).
    I really want to make my life is meaning and have a lot of happiness. I want to enjoy my life in the real meaning.

Each day I wake up, I feel heathier and happy, I always thank God because of everything he give for me.

I'll do everything I want and I'll become a helpful person to everybody around me.

Yayy!

1 person likes this.
  24. Mallory

Junior, you seem like a really nice and positive person. :) I hope you're always happy, too.

I live in Florida, so I also prefer sunny weather. I also know the feeling of liking to catch up on sleep. I'm pretty overworked, so it's great to catch up on my sleep when I can.

Here in Florida, in the winter, it gets to be around 40 degrees. Not cold enough to cause snow, but definitely colder than I like. :(

25. Mallory

Junior, one more thing to add:

Making close friends can take a little bit of time in college. When I was new at college, I felt on the outside during my first semester. Most people had a huge group of high school friends going to the same college, so they had plenty of friends right from the start. With my friends, most of them went to a different college, and so I didn't have a big group of built-in friends when I was new. I thought everybody would be looking to make friends because everybody was new, but I found out to my surprise that it didn't work that way. So it was pretty hard. Most of my friends were just study buddies from class and they didn't see me as a close friend, even though they were the people I knew better than anyone else on campus. So I guess you could say all my friendships in my first semester were unreciprocated, to an extent. At the end of freshman year and beginning of sophomore year, though, things fell into place. I met a bunch of really great friends who I'm still good friends with right now, and I didn't feel like an outsider anymore. My life got a lot better.

That's not to say that it will take you a whole year to make solid friendships. It will probably take you sooner. I can have a bit of an abrasive personality at times, so I bet you will make friends much faster than I did. :)

Sorry if I typed a too-long post that was hard to read and translate, but I just want you to know that feeling like an outsider is normal when you're new. True friendship will come, and chances are it will come when you least expect it. :)