1. need to write

need to write New Member

trying to avoid a adult topic

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by need to write, Dec 15, 2011.

I have a scene in my book where my main character is found in the arms of her best friend and her husband who has come to repair their relationship becomes enraged and uses rape to teach her a lesson for being unfaithful but I am finding it difficult to find a tactfully way of doing this or even better a less extream way of getting to the same point. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That is a quite frightening tale because whilst it is Ok for you to write about say 'rape' it can be very sensitive to others if they read it.
    It is quite a scary not very nice subject to write especially if you say to teach her a lesson.
    This can be quite misleading to me.
    I woud not enjoy reading something like this myself so one has to consider tragic things like this that can affect your reader.
    To go back to your original post I would not what to say or to advice on how you could gp about it because it is case sensitive.

3. need to write

need to write New Member

i am looking more for alternitive roughts to get to a simaler point where the best friend would be angry enoth to kill the husband without using the topic of rape so that it is more audince friendly

4. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

I'm assuming here that the rapist husband gets some kind of come uppance at the end of the story, or the victim at least gets away from him? In that case, from your MC's POV, you can cut the previous scene from where her husband catches her and the look on his face right before the act happens. Start the next scene hours/ days after the rape while she is healing and reflecting on what has happened. You don't have to give exact details, maybe just describe her looking in the mirror at bruises on her face, or taking a shower and washing herself until the water turns cold.

Either way you are going to have to get into a very uncomfortable place as the writer, you don't have to explicitly describe the act but your MC will be fundamentally affected by it for the rest of your story. I suggest you read accounts from rape victims- try experience.com for anonymous accounts- to see what kind of mental turmoil they go through. Rape is a physical act, but the real scars it leaves are mental and emotional.

5. need to write

need to write New Member

the you baba yaga i like the mirror part it has given me some ideas dispite the fact there will be no physical everdeince she might still see what is not there thank you very much. i think i will go down the rought of who she feels rather then what is happening for the actual sceen to avoid it becoming erotica

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I see what you mean.
    Why don't you just show anger in different ways like one could be they split up or that they become less trust worthy of people.
    Or they could have problems forming long terms relationship.
    Cheating is part of everyday life and all sorts cope in all sorts of ways.
    Some get over it
    Some forgive and forget.
    but if you want to express anger then do it in a subtle way rather then brash.
    I would say that when the main character finds out about both husband and best friend he or she becomes shocked at first then because she is angry will demand divorce straight away is one possibility.
    Anger can be managed if you see what I mean.
    The main character can also get over it and decide to start again somewhere else with another person nonetheless issues such a trust becomes a problem for a while for example.
    There are others ways of expressing anger and that would at a psychological level.

7. need to write

need to write New Member

he done not make it that far but he has to be at that point so that people understand why he would not turn back when she calls

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what do you mean?
    I don't understand.

9. need to write

need to write New Member

the "friend" has to be so angry that when he gose after the husband he is in one mind so much so that he dose not look back when she calls after him begging him to stop. insted he is hit by a car adding to her misary