1. AJtheWriter

AJtheWriter New Member

Trying to find Crow/Apsaalooke Indian names for women: please help

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AJtheWriter, Jul 5, 2012.

Yikes. I am trying a new story (that is still in the the very early developmental stages), and want the mother to be an Apsaalooke, aka: Crow Indian. But I am having a near impossible time of finding names for her. I can't seem to find any to be honest. I've searched Google, Bing, Ask, but with no luck.

So I'm asking for your help. Do you have any ideas what the women were named? Do you know of any place I can find names? I will be very grateful for any help. I still have so much homework to do on this subject! Thank you. :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what have you been googling for?... i just googled for 'crow tribe women's names' and 'crow tribe female names' and found some...

why don't you just go to the crow tribe's website, email and ask someone?

3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

I have to echo mammamaia's response.
    If one keyword doesn't work, try another - 999 times out of 1,000, your answer is out there. And just about any tribe you can name now has a website. (Yep. Even out their in that godforsaken land the Americans "gave" the tribes in exchange for throwing them off their land, introducing them to European diseases (to which they had no immunity), giving them smallpox-ridden blankets, etc. they have internet!) Just look them up. You'll probably find them more than willing to help you.

And, just for a jumpstart, here are a couple of sites to get you started.

Here is some general information about Crow naming traditions. This should help you in the concepts and practices associated with the naming of children and/or re-naming adolescence/adults.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8491951_crow-indian-naming-customs.html

This site should help you gather insight and help you to select the best name for your character. Just decide what you would like to call your character (generally to reflect the events surrounding her birth) and then help you to translate that into Crow.
    http://www.native-languages.org/crow.htm#language

4. AJtheWriter

AJtheWriter New Member

Thank you both for the help & suggestions. I will look around at the sites provided and will maybe send out some emails. Thanks again.

5. Levi Flinn

Levi Flinn New Member

AJTheWriter,
    My name is Levi Flinn. I am Director of the Crow Tribe Media Department. I recently found your request online and would like to let you know that I have republished your request in the Crow Tribe of Indians News, even though you requested this many years ago... Please feel free to email me at Levi.Flinn@Crow-NSN.Gov for more information on anything else you may be looking for. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Levi! Welcome to the forum. Yours might well be an excellent resource, even though this question is from a while ago. I hope other people also discover your reply here. I know there are a few people here (myself included) who write novels or stories set in the Dakotas and Montana who might find your connection very useful. Hope you enjoy exploring the forum. Are you a writer yourself?

7. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I appreciate how the writer is trying hard to get the facts right. It can pay off in the end, though. After reading Thomas Berger's Little Big Man, a native American activist (I can't remember whether it was Russell Means or Dennis Banks) was reported to have said, "Now here is a most amazing thing: a book about Indians, written by a white man, and there's not a single lie in it!"