TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

@Kinzvlle
    Yeah, that's what I mean. Them going their own ways was more interesting because the pairing was kinda forced really and ultimately stifled their characters' expression and development more than it helped.

Agree. Honestly, how Quentin's death was written feels uncomfortably close to the writing decisions of S8 GoT in prioritising shock and shallow emotional moments over deeper more interesting writing.

Absolutely, especially male/female friendships. And two childhood friends where the boy always liked the girl, that would be such a stereotype of a pairing so I quite like that they have a subversion of that- without a pairing.

I quite liked what they have been doing with Kady too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Kinzvlle likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

*Fen.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You might want to let us know what TV show you're spoiling. I'm assuming it's either The Brady Bunch or Californication, but I'm afraid to to open the spoiler box just in case.

:)

Kinzvlle likes this.
  4. Oscar Leigh

The Magicians, continuing discussion from earlier about the ending episodes of season four.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Finished Harrow, went from one Australian thing to the next. Bring the Funny. It`s actually an American show but Randy Feltface is in it. As is Harry and Chris and The Valleyfolk. Big fan of all of them. The show itself is....not great. The judges aren`t horrible and I do like the idea of a contest open to all comdey forms having both a sketch comic and a stand up (Kenon Thompson and Jeff Foxworthy.) judging but ....whys Chrissy Teagen there? At first,I thought this was like a social media comedian or something but she's just a model? These choices don`t make a lot of sense to me. All the acts I find unfunny seem to be beating the acts I like. I mean sure comedy is subjective but....something that was a full unique act like Randy Feltface gets beaten by a magician and an original song written for and about the competition is beaten by...a song about Disney princesses. In what was the third act to include that theme. Then there`s one with great stage presence...but her jokes...she`s a mommy comic. Yes her jokes are relatable, funny, and she tells them well.. but I feel like I've heard the same thing from most mothers. Hell,a joke about not fitting into your jeans from high school was there and I think most female comics tell that. The judges just keep going on about how they can see her getting a netflix special. She went head to head with a maybe little less polished comedian as far as stage work but who actually twisted and inverted his premise and took you on a journey where you didn`t know where the joke would end up...was beaten by very well told jokes that I could write after visiting my mother friends.

Guess it`s not Bring the Original.

Had to stop watching, don`t even know what happened to the Valley folk.

Been in kinda a depressive mood so wanted something different kinda snacky. Saw hulu had a new season of For the People. Not the best lawyer show out there but it has its charm, and it`s easy to put on and fall asleep to. It`s really trying to say something though with the first two episodes being about swatting and the ICE issue. I don`t know if it does that well...but also doesn`t blunder it in a wholly offensive way. Only two eps in but I worry character developments gonna be lackluster and that's why you watch a show like this for the characters. The rest has been done better elsewhere.

Though there aren`t to many other shows about public defenders somebody get on that.

One last note just something i`ve noticed but the show does make the prosecutor's dynamics very jabbing, shark-like, competitive, hard, and etc whereas the public defenders are shown as more warm, working together, like a family and etc. Even the way they dress, the way their offices are designed and lit. Ones obviously using warmer tones-colors than the other.

6. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I started the reboot of The Dark Crystal with low expectations but after a few episodes I'm completely blown away.

Siriusly and Oscar Leigh like this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

Excellent! I am encouraged then.

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Is that as in the Jim Henson film from the 80s?

Kinzvlle likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

10. OurJud

Interesting. I wonder how long the UK will have to wait for it?

Oh, Netflix. I’ll have to get snide copies of it then.

Kinzvlle and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

As far as I can tell, this site is usually accurate, it is already in Australia so you should probably have it. We usually get things at the same time as or a bit after the UK:
    https://www.finder.com.au/netflix-tv-shows

12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    It's on in Japan, and we're always last.

Oscar Leigh and Kinzvlle like this.
  13. OurJud

Thanks. IAF I wasn’t asking for dates reasons. I just meant I don’t have Wetflix.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

15. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Binge watched The Dark Crystal last weekend. Brilliant escapism, it completely turned my head off. I was able to be five years old for the best part of forty eight hours.

Nearing the end of Too Old to Die Young. Thoroughly weird and fabulous. Like watching big cats slinking through the jungle.

Quite enjoying Carnival Row, though it's the side stories that are most appealing to me. I don't get any chemistry between the lead actors and Orlando Bloom is so wooden. The model with the big eyebrows is pretty good, Carla/Cara Delthingy? The Victoriana setting is really great, and I love the Pucks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Osprey likes this.
  16. Siriusly

Siriusly Member

I've been on a monstrous Netflix binge. I wrapped up three shows, all awesome: 'Ozark', 'The Spy' (mini series), and 'Mindhunter'.

Currently took a plunge into a show called 'The 100' it's keeping my entertained. It's based on a novel series. Rumor is the TV show is better than the books. I break this show up with the new season of 'Shameless'.

I've heard great things about 'The Dark Crystal' It's definitely on my list.

I'm really interested in what Netflix has in store for subscribers as far as IPs go, with all the networks getting their own streaming services. I think Netflix is going to to surprise the masses with quality content. Netflix will be what Showtime should have become.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Finally, after more than 2 years, I'm able to watch the 3rd season of The Expanse. Which may, all things considered, be my favorite non-comedy show of all time. Well, except for Firefly, depending on whether you consider that a comedy or not. It's the whole adventures-in-a-spaceship thing that does it for me, really. Anyway, it's a pretty big deal.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Started watching Disenchantment. Funny show so far, got to episode 3.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I tried watching Black Mirror: Bandersnatch but after a few rounds through just got bored. I dunno, I don't really care what the outcome is I guess, at least not enough to spend more time on it.

Kinzvlle, Siriusly and Oscar Leigh like this.
  20. Siriusly

Siriusly Member

I gave up that one too. Didn’t really grab me.

Been binging ‘The 100’. I’m currently half way through season 6. Books weren’t that great, I hear. I gave the book a skim; really not as good as the show.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  21. Kinzvlle

Lot of the shows I normally like have new seasons out but I don`t know just not in the mood for anything familiar not sure why. Been re-watching Scrubs from season one. Still love the show JD and his fantasy sequences make it. Two new shows I`ve been watching through Hulu our Stump-town and Prodigal Son. Stump town is pretty good, a PI story based on a series of graphic novels. Not quite the most original concept or set of shows but it has a lot of heart which makes it enjoyable. Prodigal Son, is about a profiller who is a serial killers son. Not sure whether I like or dislike it. It`s....all something,

22. Kinzvlle

Update on Stumptown, it`s second episode is great but makes it feel like a very binge-able show. Which as it`s coming out episode by episode and there`s only two out so far...if wishes were trees. Does seem like it`d be a great binge when its all out.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. Kinzvlle

There was no Stumptown episode this week...what is one to do....

Now Apocalypse (not to be confused with Apocalypse Now) is....a fever dream of a show. I remember seeing ads for the show and being intrigued for the simple reason that I still had no idea what the show was actually about or what the format was no matter how many ads or clips I watched. Finally getting the chance to sit down and watch it and.....like....I....it`s like a slice of life story....I hesitate to even say drama/sit com...though much of ti does center on relationship drama....it`s mostly this group of very sexual very millennial very LA friends living there life exploring there relationships. The whole....plot.....of Ulyses having visions Gaberial being an angel, Ford dating a government Men in Black type person, and all of that....is almost....just background setting.

Like until the very end of the last episode its never really at the forefront....and now it`s cancelled so we`re just left....with that.

I don`t even....

24. Kinzvlle

End of the fucking world season 2 just finished. I wasn`t iffy on how it`d play out. Graphic novel they based it on didn`t go beyond the end of the first season but netflix seems to be doing that a lot lately. It kinda was the perfect ending, season 2 even addresses this in voice over. I liked it, still kept the quirky irreverent tone. A chaotic love story about very not normal people. There`s something so normal in there not normal though.

The first season benefited from a strong plot current. Even if the main push did shift it was allways driving things. They did find one that linked into to the first season but it wasn`t as direct. Maybe that was the point, for this season to show more on James and mostly Alysas recovery and etc. Kinda like how Buffy had the one season with the dweeb villeins to focus more on Buffys development.

My favorite bit of music in a tv show is in the flash back part where the professor comes back into "The Old Man`s back again" playing.

The graphic novel has a even more bizarre intense plot line with cults and all that. Wasn`t touched on in season one, wondered if season two would include it. It didn`t.....might be for the better. Plays well in a graphic novel but may not mesh in the show.

25. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Stranger Things season 4 is a thing. Obviously it would be, but it's good to know they're working on it now.

Script calls episode one "The Hellfire Club"

[​IMG]