TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. al-khataei

al-khataei New Member

Thank you.
    And I am not a Turk.
    And I haven't seen it.
    And that is why İ need translated videos. However, thanks to the Turkish dramas İ am learning the language.
    So you gave me a way out of boredom's prison.
    Are you a Turk?
    PS: How was Boğaziçi Üniversitesi and do they give courses in English?

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! THAT ENDING WAS RUDE. But I do look forward to season 3. I watched all six episodes yesterday because I had no self control and it felt like no time had passed.

Night Herald likes this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Nope, I'm an American, but that summer study left me with an enduring love for Turkey and its people. As for the language thing, at the time (over twenty years ago) the summer semester was in English. It attracted a lot of foreign students (money money money) and gave the Turkish students who took classes then the experience of functioning in an English-language environment. I know there was a minimum TOIEC or TOEFL score for non-native English speakers to join the program, but I don't remember what it was. Very nice people and a great chance to hang out and learn about the country and culture from people our own age, not some textbook.

Now (according to Wikipedia) Boğaziçi Üniversitesi (copy and paste, thanks!) is a primarily English-language school year-round.

al-khataei likes this.
  4. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Right?
    I really liked that as the last episode unfolds, you think the show is done, happy ending, epilogue, bliss eternal, all that good stuff, but no, you're hit with the twist/cliffhanger one-two punch. Loved that.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

EXACTLY. I was so happy it was all going so well and then saw there was still fifteen minutes left to the episode and got pissed. But in a good way, haha. I really love how they're telling the story. Sometimes I feel stuff like this can get bogged down by cheesiness, but it doesn't. It is such a well told story and even when you know the plot twists -- talking about dude with pregnant wife here-- there's still plenty you don't know about.

The disease itself is so fucking fascinating. How does it work? Is it really driven by the worms? How was it spreading so fast at the palace? It's just endlessly scientifically cool and I love it.

Night Herald likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

New Red Dwarf, ready and set to record tomorrow evening. I told myself I was going to wait until it came out on DVD so I didn't have to suffer all the bullshit commercial breaks, but I don't think I have the patience. I'll definitely wait for the recording to finish before I start watching, though. At least then I can FF through them.

7. Dogberry's Watch

I started Freud on Netflix. It starts hella slow but it picks up. A bit. I dunno. I could do other stuff while watching

8. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I was watching this show on Netflix called Unorthodox about a pregnant woman who flees from an arranged marriage in Brooklyn to begin a new life abroad. Except her husband runs after her to bring her back to Brooklyn. It’s a true story!

2677A599-46F4-4197-8FE8-6DC17B5EBA53.jpeg

I’m also tuning in to a program called Quiz about that guy who cheated his way to a million quid on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire -gameshow - when his wife was in the audience coughing out the answers. It’s also a true story!

C850EA94-C313-4609-9E7E-4D34B87A0E3C.jpeg

Guess I’ve just been tuning in to programs based on true stories these days!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Finished Stumptown, still out on whether or not it`ll get a new season. Hopefully, it was good, the last three episodes were gripping. Some of the wrap up was a little to neat and clean but it`s not that big a gripe, and we did get a small cliffhanger for next season. Fun show, slight inconsistency in some of the characters but think it just needs to find it`s sea legs.

10. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

Sunderland 'Til I Die is a great fix until the Premier League comes back on!

11. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I am currently on Season 2 episode 2 of Better Call Saul. I have to say, I think it's just decent so far. It's a strong 7. I'm actually glad I don't love it though, since I've been able to resist binge watching it and dealing with the accompanying self-disgust that comes for me with doing that. If I keep liking it at about this level, I can just slowly watch it a few episodes at a time without becoming obsessed.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. OurJud

Does no one here watch classic tv? Remember? Back when tv was good.

13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed

Xoic and OurJud like this.
  14. OurJud

I was thinking more The Likely Lads, or Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, but each to their own :D

15. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I watch 'Allo' Allo, Blackadder, and Monty Python's Flying Circus now and again. I love Black Books, even if it's probably too new to count as "classic". Knowing this, do you think I might enjoy the ones you've mentioned?

OurJud likes this.
  16. OurJud

Perhaps not. Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, responsible for both The Likely Lads and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (among various others), were/are comedy gods in my opinion. What I love about their writing is that they don't write gags as such, or use farce and slapstick (well, maybe slapstick a little sometimes, but done well). Their humour comes from life and features characters you truly believe in and like.

The conversation at the beginning of this episode of Whatever Happened to the Likey Lads, for instance, between Terry and his mum. Writing doesn't get better than this.

Night Herald likes this.
  17. Historical Science

I just started Waco. It's great so far. I'm a big fan of Michael Shannon so that helps.

18. Zeppo595

I finished Better Call Saul season 2. SPOILER alert:

I have mixed feelings about the show. On one level, it's superbly plotted. Everything happens for a reason. And there are satisfying moments when things that happen in early episodes are then paid off in later ones.

That being said, sometimes it's overly plotted. I get a feeling watching it every single conversation and thing that happens is plot. I watch it and think Jimmy is only having this conversation so THIS plot point can be built to climax later. However, my favourite TV shows like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Twin Peaks were more than just great stories - they were like worlds you lived in by watching the show. I basically wanted to watch any interaction the characters had because they were fascinating people.

The danger of sinking or swimming on plot points being paid off is that it has to feel worth the build up. And I think it was and wasn't in this season. I think Jimmy screwing over his brother was great and that leading to his brother's collapse in episode 9 was unexpected and powerful. But I felt it was undercut in the final episode. The brother manipulating Jimmy back to secretly record his confession. It was too convenient. The plot demanded that to happen and it technically makes sense, but it doesn't feel right to me. I guess the 'Jimmy going against his brother only to run back when things seem serious' had already been done several times, so it was overkill for me.

I like Chuck's character at times, but the electricity freakouts are also just getting dull to watch. It's such a weirdo condition that is so integral to the plot, but I'm getting tired of watching it.

The stuff with Mike didn't go anywhere. His stuff leading to the arrest of Tuco made little practical sense. And then the gun stuff was all build up with no resolution. Very disappointing.

It's just so damn cleverly written. But sometimes it's smartness is very distancing emotionally.

Breaking Bad also had a lot of spinning it's gears. But the pay offs in Breaking Bad always made it feel worth it. Not so with BCS so far. But I guess I'll continue watching it.

19. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Got bored of Boston Legal around the 4th season, it`s still a ok show but you can tell there ratings were dipping and their efforts to make it grab more viewers...lost some of the charms it feels like.

Been watching Luter, I rather enjoy seasons our very short though. Was fine in the first season, everything felt very succinct and the story was told very well. Drawing it out would have been a determinant really. I guess I don't take issue with the length of the second season ether, it told its story well. It just seemed all so...anticlimatix. Like I hadn`t even realized the season had ended until the third one started right after. Season 3 so far...I don`t mind it seems like it`ll be a good season. Do wonder where the girl is, which side characters could get fleshed out more outside of Luther. More time spent in Ripley's head would be great especially with everything going on now.

I started watching New Tricks with mother, a good BBC show from like 2006. I enjoy it, slowish pace but it tells the story well.

20. Historical Science

Money Heist has been brought up A LOT lately as an excellent show.

I can only ignore it for so long...

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Westworld.

I am deeply, profoundly, upload_2020-5-2_12-25-11.png in love with Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton equally. In Season 3, Aaron Paul has a strong presence, but since I never ever watched Breaking Bad, what I hear is Todd Chavez in a gritty Science Fiction setting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I dunno if this is normal or a function of my color-blindness, but the yellow "y" in "gay-boy" above just about disappeared into the background and I was left wondering what at "ga -boy" was until I sorted it.

23. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It's not you. Same for me, but the next genuinely visible yellow option is baby poop yellow. :/

24. Historical Science

Time for the next two episodes of The Last Dance!

25. Zeppo595

I'm also watching that. Loving it.

I got caught up with better call saul. Now quite why I felt the need to compulsively watch a show I never loved or thought went beyond a 7/8 out of ten is beyond me. I think there's something to just passively absorbing these lengthy narratives.

With the exception of a few shows - The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men - I always think my time would have been better spent reading.

But of course you never know if THIS show is gonna be the next great one. I think we can safely say the shows I mentioned are exceptional outliers.

I feel now we live in the silver/bronze age of TV where a LOT of it is decent and reaching for greatness but not much of it actually lands.

Iain Aschendale and Xoic like this.