TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

The Wire is a famously slow starter, but trust me, it's going places. If you stick with it you'll be richly rewarded. It may take until the halfway point of season one before you start really, really feeling it, but at that point there's no going back.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Man, I really liked The Wire. Up to about season 3 or maybe it was season 4, it's whichever season concentrates on the political aspects.

Watched the first two episodes of We Are Champions. Was sort of funny. I'm going to try Pennyworth tonight.

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Has anyone watched The Stand?
    The previews for it were pretty interesting. I think i MIGHT watch it

4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I know I've just recently (and violently) sworn off all things Star Trek, but Amazon Japan has The Lower Decks now. I'll give it a shot, on a very short leash. They've already referred to The Monkees as a "classical music" band. Words have meanings, and "classical" doesn't just mean old, so that's strike one.

We'll see.

5. love to read

love to read Senior Member

I just finished WandaVision. I almost missed it because the way Disney Channel advertised it, I didn't think I would like it. Well, I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. The bonus of my procrastination: I was able to watch all the episodes in one go :).

6. Malum

Malum Offline

Came to this topic just to post my favourite scene. First time I watched it, took a month to get through first 6 episodes and a week the rest of it. Better every watch.

Malisky, marshipan and Night Herald like this.
  7. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I've been hearing a lot about Amazon Prime's new Invincible. Just watched the first episode: holy hell.

8. marshipan

This scene will forever live in my head:

Night Herald likes this.
  9. marshipan

Finished watching the second season of You. There are parts I really like about it and some things I hate. It's just odd how the explanations for things are really bad... but I love a good stalker inner dialogue. Hits that Dexter itch I suppose but I enjoy how half-assed everything is for the main guy in You compared to how refined Dexter was.

10. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Ho, ho, ho. You should hold out for season 2..
    ... when the guy will eventually come across a nut job more psychotic than himself. :supercheeky:
    I haven’t watched many programs written from the perspective of the villain
    B97EA7B5-9521-41E0-A593-6D56F76654AC.jpeg
    (yeah he really is as nuts as he looks)
    but I think the narrative is very well written It wasn’t enough to make me tune in to season 3 though.

I finished watching season 1 of a program called Soulmates.

I recommend it because every episode is a different story line so you don’t get bogged down with one central character all the time. It’s about an organisation called Soul Connex that runs tests on people who want to help them find their soulmate. Different people take the test and, like I said, every episode is different - except with that company in common. Can people really get paired up with someone based on - ahem- scientific evidence? In some way the show is futuristic but don’t hold your breath :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  11. marshipan

I finished season 2.
    I liked the twist with the girlfriend but I'm not looking forward to them having a "team" thing in season 3. I was sort of hoping he would kill her because I like him as a lone wolf. However, it still seems like they plan to have him doing his own thing so who knows, I may like it.
    I like shows from the villain perspective. :twisted:
    Looking forward to the reboot of Dexter, although I never watched past season 3 I think. Maybe I should go do that but it sounded like it sort of veered off the course of what the first seasons were about.

That Soulmates concept reminds me of a youtube original I saw. It's about partners being found through a program and two straight men with a huge difference in age get matched up:

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  12. Malum

Malum Offline

I wish the typical comment section was available on that video. Hard to tell if Herc was being sarcastic or not....i'd like to think he wasn't.

Also: On the topic of Dexter I still haven't watched the final six episodes. I stopped watching the final season out of some outraged principle when I was younger regarding just how trash it became.

Reboot? Hmm.

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I believe that's one of the scenes that was lifted from Clockers (the novel, not the movie). I forget the author's name but he helped create The Wire and incorporated several gags from the novel.

Malum likes this.
  14. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I have been binge-watching the crap out of several shows this year. Here are some of my takes:

Salvation- Liked it! Bummed that it was canceled before finishing their plot. The last episode was a cliffhanger that will never be resolved now.
    The 4400- Another one I was really enjoying until I realized they were canceled before finishing. Another bummer ending, but only bc I don't get to know what happened.
    Umbrella Academy- Good show with really intriguing characters. I look forward to the next season starting hopefully soon.
    Manifest- Fun and intriguing premise that they have managed to maintain over 2 seasons. Following along with currently-airing season 3 now.
    Travelers- Sounded good but was kinda dry and boring. Did not continue.
    Misfits- Slow plot, characters were meh. Did not continue.
    Debris- Really liking this one. Good sci-fi plot with some nefarious government agendas. Good characters that keep me involved. Following along with current (first) season.
    Under the Dome- Was going pretty well until season 3, where they lost me. Did not finish.
    Fringe- How did I miss this gem from 2008-2013? Really good, love the characters and the plot, fresh mysteries each episode keep me coming back. Currently on season 2 of 5, and I hear they DID finish the plot and weren't canceled, so yay!

love to read and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. dbesim

Has anyone tuned into the first season of Leonardo on Amazon prime? I watched the first episode thinking that it was going to be more like a true story showcasing something about the artist’s works and his life and learn something worthwhile about his paintings

but all I got was a half-baked subplot that hasn’t got anything to do with nothing... cliche storyline.. and I got bored really quickly. Really fast. Shall I be tuning in to episode 2? Only if I’m a more amount of bored than I was while watching this crap.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  16. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Oh, you should have given 'Travellers' a chance, I really liked it. Sadly, it was cancelled after season 3 so the end was a bit rushed to weave in all the loose ends. But even that wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    'Fringe ' was good indeed, though if I remember right it got quite confusing at some point. At least I think that was the reason I haven't watched all seasons yet :confused:. Maybe I'll give it another try.
    All in all a nice selection :agreed:!

17. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Has anyone discussed if 'Debris' was inspired by 'Roadside Picnic'? The last time I looked at the wiki it didn't mention it, so I guess it's just a similar premise the writers came up with.

18. dbesim

I’m currently watching Little Fires Everywhere with Reese Witherspoon and Joshua Jackson.

Yes. I’m quite into it though season 2 isn’t yet out. I’m sure there will be a season 2. Who knows? There usually is.

The story is about the differences in the lives of a struggling, single mother (MIA) who tries to support her kid (Pearl) and a rich mother (Elena) who has four kids. It starts with the rich mum renting out her property to the struggling, single mum, and tries to help her in a lot of ways eg. by offering her the property rent-free and giving her a job at her estate. The single mum, however, resents the Elena for her privileged lifestyle and for not understanding that things don’t always come that easy. Mia’s daughter, however, is dazzled by Elena and her family and she becomes friends with Elena’s kids and hangs out with them at school.

A lot of the show presents how different the lives of the two American families are and there’s also a depiction of who these parents were when they were a lot younger and how events all lead up to a succession of who they are now.
    I adore Reese Witherspoon and her acting skills and am totally hooked on this TV show right now. I’ve only got two other episodes to watch.

If anyone else has seen this show, I’d be interested to know your take on it. If not.. consider this a recommendation.

19. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Really getting (3 years late, as usual) into the BBC/Netflix Watership Down miniseries. Some really great performances, John Boyega in particular steals every scene he's in. Not bad for computer-generated rabbits.

About that computer animation, though...if this were like a PS2 game I'd be impressed. Circa 2021 (or even 2018 when it was released), it's...it's just not very good. Almost distracting, especially during the fight scenes, which are the absolute worst. Makes me wish they'd taken a chance on a more traditional animation style for this.

20. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson Active Member

Evil Genius. It's an alarming true-crime documentary on Netflix. It will raise the hair on your neck.

dbesim likes this.
  21. dbesim

I’m currently tuning into The Marvellous Mrs Maisel. This show is set with a backdrop to the ‘50’s about a woman aspiring to be a stand-up comedian. I’m enjoying it very much.

22. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson Active Member

I'm currently re-watching Vikings. I love the show.

23. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Currently re-watching Band of Brothers. It’s hands down the most visceral and engaging series I’ve ever seen.

24. Shayne

Shayne The Virus Queen

Huge fan of The Walking Dead!:)

ThunderAngel and dbesim like this.
  25. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

OK, guys, I finally finished Fringe (so good!) and need a new show. Suggest me some fantasy/magic/sci-fi stuff please.