Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yeah, the movie was pretty bad, but if you loved Twilight, you kind of just tried to focus on the book because it pretty much just follows it.

For those who hated Twilight, you might like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I keep trying to get people to read that book. It was what Twilight was for a lot of girls, except that it can appeal to everybody, has a dystopian setting and fast action that sci-fi lovers will enjoy, has a bit of romance involving 2 hot guys that Twilight girls will love, and Stephen King recommended it, which should say something.

2. Demief

Demief New Member

I got this series a week ago and it was very enjoyable. In fact, I was truly curious about why i hadn't heard much about it before or didn't already have it.

I did the unthinkable though. I saw the movie before i got the book *hangs head in shame*. Liked the movie...then read the book and hated it (the movie not the book).

The books are great. I really enjoy reading them. They are simple yet compelling. I enjoy the character of Bella and it's very interesting for me reading first person from a female perspective.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Wow! I am loving you guys! Everyone else I've talked to loved the movie...book...everything.

Now, the movie could have been better, but it actually made me like Twilight better. I have a Twilight-obsessed friend, and know exactly what happens. But overall, I've read much better and seen better movies. But at least it's getting teenage girls to read!! LOL

4. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

The book is almost always going to be better than the movie, except for The Phantom of the Opera, the book was a bit strange and half of it was in French anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. HKB

HKB New Member

56 pages!?!?!?!

6. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Yea...do you like Phantom of the Opera? I have an obsessive friend.

7. zorell

zorell New Member

:confused:wtf:confused:

8. architectus

architectus Banned

The Hunger Games is still on my to read list.

9. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Kool, sounds good!

10. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood New Member

Everyone I know either seems to love it to death or wants to burn all copies of the book.
    Me, I don't know, as I've never had the chance to read them. But I have been meaning to, so don't kill me.

11. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN TWILIGHT!

Although I bought the book today. It's horrible! I hate Twilight! Yet, I spent £6.99 on the book! I'm going crazzzzy!!!

ggkjhdkhjskhnr

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

What I think amazes me the most is how much the thread for this particular piece of 'lit' has gotten. There are many threads here in the book discussion area of works that have had a significant impact on their respective genres which get little to no play, and yet this bit of blech has gotten some mad play here in the forum.

Interesting to say the least.

13. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Yes, you wonder how they get this popular. At the beginning of the year you could look around and see a few copies here and there. Bu tit was like a ticking bomb that suddenly went off and everyone was exploding, and everyone HAD to read it. :rolleyes:

14. AzricanRepublic

AzricanRepublic New Member

I haven't really taken the time to read the book, but from what I'm told it is actually entertaining. I'm not really into the whole vampire/modern fantasy area, but it does look like a good read from what I've heard. I'm always open to expanding my horizons, however.

15. Spearnymph

Spearnymph New Member

Exactly my reaction when I was a third of the way through Breaking Dawn. I ended up donating my Twilight books to the library (since burning wasn't really an option) because they obviously need them (long, long queues - and that coupled with curiosity possessed me to buy the books in the first place). At least now I know.
    It's a prime example of "curiosity killed the cat" for many of us, I reckon. :D

16. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Well you made it further then me...I got about halfway through New Moon......yea. I didn't think I would like it, but everyone else was reading it, so I thought well might as well see.

17. Malice

Malice New Member

I think the Twilight series just might be the most atrocious repulsive thing I've ever read. It's poorly written, the characters are TOTALLY unrealistic and hard to believe, and what else...hmm.. OH YEAH THERE'S NO PLOT.

18. zorell

zorell New Member

Okay, okay, now I put up my dukes. I can understand some sensible dislike for the piece. But please clarify for me whether you're using the movie against the book or vice versa.

As to lack of plot: simple

conflict: vamp loves mortal and senses need to protect her
    resolution: he remembers his "vegatarian" ways and chooses his own metaphorical heart over her "sweet blood"

Now, pretty, pretty please people, give us a break cause some of us actually enjoy the Twilight saga (which does not include the movie, just saying)

1 person likes this.
  19. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

We need to get Wrey to read Twilight. Just kidding, Wrey! :p

Yeah, well, Twilight is what it is, and has the rabid fans that it has, and literary flaws that it does, and addictive storyline that some of us totally loved.

And on Amazon.com, Stephenie Meyer's books are the top 4 selling books still. Again, I'm telling all of you writers, go and write a story with an addictive, romantic-fantasy storyline too, and I'll buy it.

20. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Wow.....you are all so different then anyone else I've talked to.

I think it does have a plot.

But the non-realistic characters I can agree with. I know it's fiction but they all seem so much older it seems like.

21. zorell

zorell New Member

THat might be because they're supposed to have been teenagers for centuries.

22. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

How is that a conflict?
    I don't see how there is any conflict in there and I don't see how that resolution helps with anything else?
    Everyone else seems so jolly about it really does seem like a big deal really.<-----Edit: I was talking about how everyone in the book seems so jolly about it and how they don't seem to really care.

23. zorell

zorell New Member

The conflict is man versus self, Edward loves Bella as both prey to his vampire side and love to his human side. That may not seem big and interesting to you, but I personally enjoyed the saga. I may not be a die hard Team Edward vs Team Jacob fanatic, but I can still take offense to the way people have been degrading the novel for its storyline and characters.

I didn't enjoy any of Tolkien's pieces, but you don't see me hounding its discussion thread bitching and moaning about all I didn't like. I understand you don't like Twilight or its sequals, but at least use some civility in telling us.

24. zorell

zorell New Member

And if you don't understand why I would say that to you in particular, than understand that I might not be saying it to you in particular, I am simply saying what needs to be said.

25. robertpaine

robertpaine New Member

Okay so here's the thing.

For months I hated Twilight and was repulsed at the obsession it caused but recently I bought the book, out of curiosity.

I was even more repulsed to find myself reading Twilight at 2:00 in the morning the day i purchased it.

My repulsion furthered still when I found myself at the movie the day after.

I don't what it is but however cheesy, however unrealistic the plot and the characters are, however long Meyer can drag things on, however awful the book is, it's shockingly addictive.

Never would I have dreamed myself saying this but it's true.

Everything about the book screams out average at me.

On a different note, the film is appalling, they completely destroyed Jacob, it didn't flow, you could see Edward's stubble, Bella was stoned, Charlie had a fake moustache, her Mom wasn't nearly wacky enough, Mike was a complete reject as was Eric, Lauren didn't even feature, and they managed to destroy every good line the book had!

As far as I'm concerned, the only successes were Alice, Jasper, and Jessica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.