Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Haha, well I found it good when I read it, but I could have been reading other things. And I pretty much had to force myself to read New Moon, thats why I quit.

2. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I'm obsessive too =D I know the entire movie by heart. Every song is on my iPod. And Gerard Butler (the Phantom) is a sexy beast.

I still haven't gotten to see the play yet =( But I will.

3. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I totally agree about the movie. The best lines were gone. I loved the morning after Edward stays and the "Breakfast for the human" line. The meadow and night that Edward stays are the two best parts, neither were really in the movie. =(

I love Twilight. Not enough to be overly obsessive about it, but enough that the books are on a table next to my bed and sometimes I feel like I have to read one of my favorite parts.

But I agree that there are some more-than-noticeable flaws. One of my friends thinks that she knows everything. We are competitive and try to out smart each other at school. She had me read Twilight. Before I read it, she told me how well written it was and just how perfect the whole thing was. According to her, Stephenie Meyer is a writing god. I feel smart knowing that it's not perfect =D

4. March301

March301 New Member

I picked up the first book after a recommendation from my friend. When I put it aside, I didn't have much of an opinion of it one way or the other. It wasn't like, "AARGH this is the worst thing I've ever read!" but it wasn't "Oooh, I really like this!" either.

I haven't finished the series, because I couldn't invest myself in Bella enough to, but I did read The Host and found that one rather enjoyable. That one had an interesting premise.

5. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I've thrown my two penneth in before here but as I got books two and three for Christmas and thus finally got to read beyond twilight without having to pay for it myself, I've reached a quick conclusion about the whole thing thus far...

...they get better over time (which is good) and Bella is the most stupidly whiney, irritating and useless character. Plus SHE SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN JACOB!! Edward is dull a dishwater.

Meh, moving on...

6. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Oh no, someone on team Jacob. *hangs head*

=D

7. zorell

zorell New Member

There's nothing wrong with Team Jacob;) He's hotter anyway:p

8. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Only in the movie. And I heard that Taylor L. will be playing Jacob in New Moon. I'm glad. I didn't want a new Jacob...but I'm still team Edward =D

9. zorell

zorell New Member

Aw, you missed the joke:(

I haven't seen te movie, I'm actually refusing to see the movie; it's better safe than sorry and I've learned my lesson after Harry Potter.

10. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

The movie didnt play up the chemistry as much as it could have.

And Im on team edward! YUM!

11. architectus

architectus Banned

<< Team Edward.

Matter of fact, my avatar is my paiting of Edward. You can see the full version on my deviant art page.

12. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I have a sweet Team Edward shirt from hot topic =D

13. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

I... dislike the Twilight series. It's just too 2-dimensional with no character development. It makes the feminist inside me rage.

But that is my opinion. ;[

14. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Hmph. I thought the books were ok. The first one was decent anyway, it went downhill from there. Not to mention the rampant sexism and female stereotyping going on.

The Twilight fans that plague the internet tend to be the most obnoxious species on the planet. They have this jihad against anyone who doesn't like the book that's insane. They have succeeded in making me like the book much much less.

15. zorell

zorell New Member

At that, I think you're not only overgeneralizing, but you're ignoring all the other Fangirls and Fanboys for the jilllion other things in this world. How often do you see people dresses up as Bella, Edward, Jacob, or any of the Twilight characterrs? And who are you comparing them to by the way?

(Yeah, I said "them," I'm not one, I just don't bode well with senseless judgement. And a lot of people aren't trying to start discussion they're just flaming or praising, and that's getting wee bit annoying)

16. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

I find all fangirls and fanboys to be equally annoying. But the number of Twilight fangirls is many, many times greater than any other group. I do not quite understand why you expect me to bring up my distaste for Harry Potter fans (despite my liking of the series just fine) in a discussion about Twilight. Why should I not ignore them? They aren't the point.

I see people dress up as the Twilight characters with disturbing frequency, in fact. It would be much more except that I think it's rather more difficult to make a vampire costume than most sorts of costumes. They were flooding the book release parties which I stopped at for about two minutes, they flood the internet, and they flood life. So I really do not know WHAT point you are making here. Were you trying to make the point that people don't dress up as Twilight characters? Because that's not true.

Who am I comparing them to? I don't know, how about fans of any other book or movie. Do people get obsessive? Yes, and it is annoying. Have I ever seen a craze over a series that was this widespread and this undeserving of attention? Not really. Have I ever encountered fans who were so rude and obnoxious to non-fans? Nope.

And frankly I don't understand why you call it "senseless judgment." Do you want me to go after specific people? I shall if I must. But honestly I don't even think that there is any point in going after specific Twilight fans. They are all exactly the same. It's like a hive mind, and if you say something to the contrary of their opinion they swarm all over you. Not to mention that the entire Internet is just crawling with their mindlessness. There are hundreds of thousands of Twilight flair, bumper stickers, groups...which makes Facebook quite a bit more unpleasant. It's impossible to throw a brick without hitting a fan website. Such websites are, without exception, designed in unreadable colors and horrific disregard for grammatical conventions.

Twilight by no stretch of the imagination deserves the praise it is getting. I can think of many, many of other series, many of them even involving vampires that deserve to be more popular than Twilight. Yet Meyer's misogynistic flat nonsense gets all this unnecessary attention. It's ridiculous.

And lest someone use the old argument that all Twilight haters haven't read the books (B.S.) I have read all of them. And I was frankly under impressed. I mean, the first one was ok but...really? It wasn't that good. And it gets way too much attention.

Now, I understand that there are exceptions to this rule. But I don't frankly care about the exceptions. The exceptions are normal base-level of fandom, not insane-Twilight level of fandom. That isn't the point. The reason I dislike Twilight is because of the very-obsessed people, not because of the normal fans. The normal-level fans I really am fine with. I mean, I disagree with them maybe, but they aren't a nuisance. The obsessed "omgomgiluvedwurdsoooomucjh" people DO get on my nerves. It me want to slap them virtually and just be like "Get over it, it's a mediocre series at best! Go read something decent!"

The only reason I happen to dislike Twilight at this point is because it is currently the most oppressive of the fan-groups. I'm sure some new nonsense will arise and everyone will forget about Edward Cullen and move on to something even worse. And those people will still grate on my nerves just the same. That's just the cycle of popular culture.

And of course if you say even the slightest thing about the books not being good, they swarm upon you with all the ferocity and intelligence of an insect hive.

As for just flaming or praising...well, honestly I think that's true. But forums don't lend themselves to moderate, unbiased, intelligent discussions. People tend to sound more extreme than they actually are. I don't know what else you expect from the slew of one sentence long replies, honestly.

17. zorell

zorell New Member

We're discussing this somewhere else.

But now I have a question for everybody:

What do you think could have been done to improve upon Edward? Jacob? Bella? (That's three, but still)

18. apathykills

apathykills New Member

19. zorell

zorell New Member

Seriously?

YOu seriously posted that...

I'm biting my tongue...biting...

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This thread has ceased to serve any purpose. There is nothing new being contributed at this point, and I see signs that this is degenerating to, "I'm right, and you're full of crap."

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.