Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I'm betting Edward, though I'm probably wrong :p

I think she just grew :) Hopefully we'll see. I need to read it one more time.

2. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I just finished reading Twilight over again...and I still love it as much as the first time through! I think I'm going to try to finish the other two before Breaking Dawn comes out.

Any predictions for events that might happen in Breaking Dawn?

3. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I really hope it's not Edward. If anyone I want it to be Jacob. I can't see it being Edward, I think he loves Bella too much to be the one to be hurting her.

I agree that Bella should be a little more excited about getting married. She was the one to mention getting married in the first place.

-Alex

4. Oasis Writer

I'm betting the Vulteri or whatever, are going to try to kill her or do something unpredictable.

Or maybe she'll bring in witches :D

5. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Witches. Nice. I don't know. When I found out that she was writing Breaking Dawn, I was trying to think of what could possibly happen now? What other trouble can Bella possibly get into? It could be the Volturi, but she doesn't love them, I'm pretty sure of that. :D

-Alex

6. Oasis Writer

No, not like a love thing, but like, a reason why she needs to a vamp sooner

7. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

But the preface does say that someone she loves is trying to kill her. But the Volturi could be getting annoyed that she isn't a vampire yet. I know I am. :)

8. Terra Valentine

Terra Valentine New Member

I don't care as long as she doesn't bring in any more creatures. The werewolf was enough of an addition for me. Like Oasis said, if she brings in witches, I'll be pissed. This isn't Harry Potter. (Not saying it's not good, I'm just saying, let's keep the stories separate.) I'm gonna buy it as soon as it comes out. I have to work early that day anyway, I'll just stop by on the way to work. That's what I did for the last Harry Potter! ^^

The perks to having a job.

I agree. That girl needs to get her butt in gear and change already!!

9. Oasis Writer

We're all "Hurry up and die already" :p

10. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Yeah, no more creatures. It's better than Harry Potter anyway, at least I think it is. I have Breaking Dawn pre-ordered and I'm going to Borders at midnight. It's all planned out, not that there was much to plan.

Actually, I think they need to get married really soon, I don't want anything bad to happen before. I think it's also Edward who has to hurry up and change her. :)

11. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I had a couple thoughts on this - first, if it is talking about Edward, he could be biting her. I mean, him turning her to a vampire is essentially killing her...ya know, causing her heart to stop beating and all that. And I could see her reacting that way.

And also, what if it's a metaphorical killing? Like, if it's talking about Jacob - what if his behavior is killing her? Or if something Edward does hurts her and she says it's "killing" her...just a thought!

And I think she will get married - chapter one opens with just a few days until the wedding. If you think of the amount of time the other books covered, there's no way Stephenie Meyer could make a few days last 700 pages. I guess something could still happen to stop it, but for some reason, I think they'll go through with the wedding/marriage. I just think that something else might happen to delay/prevent Edward from changing her...like the Volturi.

And I highly doubt Stephenie Meyer will bring in any other mythological creatures. I hope not, anyway, for the sake of the books :D

12. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I was also thinking that the whole "killing" her thing could be metaphorical. I've tried to come up with as many things that would fit the preface as I can, I'm not coming up with much, but I really doubt it's Edward, It could be the Volturi, but I mostly think it's Jacob. In Eclipse, the conflict with Jacob became more of a thing. I'm not so sure about it being the Volturi because it says, "...When you love the one who was killing you, it left you no options. How could you run, how could you fight, when doing so would hurt that beloved one? If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not give it? If it was someone you truly loved?"

I don't think Bella loves the Volturi, I'm pretty sure of it. But I'm also unsure, if it is Jacob, would she really do something like give up her life when she's married to Edward?

I know she loves Jacob, but she loves Edward more.

I don't know if I can wait another 51 days to find out...

13. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

haha, I know! 51 days seems like forever!

I think that the whole love-affair with Jacob is over. She made her decision (and if you remember back to Twilight, she says something about once she makes a decision she sticks with it). She made a decision that even though she does love Jacob, Edward is the one she can't live without.

Still, I think it could be Jacob that she's talking about in the preface. Him running could hurt her.

On the other hand, Stephenie said in an interview (maybe with Barnes & Noble?) that Breaking Dawn was loosely based off of A Midsummer Night's Dream...if I'm remembering correctly (and it's been a good 8 years since I read that play) there is a love "square" in it...So if that's how Breaking Dawn was written, there would have to be a love interest for Edward. Ugh. I hate thinking that that might even be a slight possibility! But even so, I think it would go extremely against Edward's personality to do anything to hurt Bella unless it was to save her life...

14. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I hope Jacob isn't too involved. But a love square? I'd kill Edward. Even if I can't, it's the thought that counts, right? He couldn't. But what if he could? *shivers* Ugh...

15. kissingtheshadows

kissingtheshadows New Member

YAY I found the twilight thread!!!

Okay so mainly everyone that has posted is for Bella being a vampire, and I was all for that ever since I read the first book.

But until then I will have a massive hatred for Bella. Before Eclipse, I was perfectly fine with her, UNTIL she fell in love with blasted JAKE! "A two-timing little w****" my one friend referred to her as. So I hope the marriage between her and Edward works out, because if Bella and Jake were together, all hell would break lose, considering the fact that Jake is a cocky, immature little prick and Bella is an over-emotional teenage girl.

I always loved Edward, though. Even when he acted all weird in the beginning of Twilight, I was like, this guy is HOT! I remember reading New Moon, I read the whole thing in two or three days and wouldn't stop until Edward came back into the story. Haha I read when he broke up with her in the middle of my geometry class, and I gasped really loudly and had the most shocked expression on my face. The guy sitting next to me was laughing hysterically.

And after I read Eclipse I wanted to burn it. I hated it, and one of the main reasons is inappropiate, but again why Bella pissed me off (someone who knows what I'm talking about PM me, I need to rant about it) but the reason I didn't burn it was because it was my friend's book and she was letting me borrow all three of them.

And noooooo no one give away the first chapter in Breaking Dawn! I haven't gotten the speacial edition of Eclipse yet (what results in being 16 without a license and having a lazy mom). Oh man I'm so excited, hopefully I'm not away on vacation when Breaking Dawn comes out.

16. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I cried when he broke up with her...but I was also 7 months pregnant and overly-emotional, so that may have had something to do with it :p

You should read through the series again...my feelings about Bella changed as I read through it a second time.

17. kissingtheshadows

Haha I was planning on reading them again before Breaking Dawn came out. I just need to buy them because when I read them they were my friend's and I had to give them back to her :( but a lot of people didn't like her because she was all whiny and whatever. I think I liked her until Eclipse because I was really getting feelings for the guy I mentioned in the girls and guys discussion thread so I could understand how she felt. I just hope her and Edward end up together and Jake doesn't ruin anything about that.

But haha I remember reading Eclipse, it was last spring break, and my dad was in town so we did a lot, and everywhere I went I carried that book; I read it in the car, at restaurants, even during some movies if they sucked. I ended up finishing it in three days haha, it's so addicting.

18. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I was being bad when I read Eclipse. I had just finished New Moon, "accidentally" forgetting to go to sleep one night. And I was dying to read Eclipse. The worst part was that I already had it, it was right in front of me, and my mom didn't want me reading it because I had school for the next week...I read it anyway. Almost every night she finds me in my bedroom re-reading one of the three books.

As for Bella, I didn't have a huge problem with her until Eclipse, either. Maybe I'm just used to whiny people. Or whiny people are just really realistic...I don't know.

I wonder if Stephenie Meyer was ever jealous of Bella, I am, and so are a few million other people. I know I'm sort of jealous of my MC.

19. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I just watched the new scene, and my first thought was "where are the mirrors???" that was how they figured out it was a ballet studio, and they took the mirrors out for the movie? Makes me wonder if they location selection comittee actually reads the book before they choose.

As far as the book goes, I've read Twilight. It started off as my walmart book. I have a tendency to go to walmart and pick up a random book off the shelf while my parents shop. Then a few months later, i was 100 pages in, I finally bought it. and read it in an afternoon. Now, I am reading Eclipse as my walmart book. (I rarely read series in order.)

I loved Twilight. It was def. one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the simpleness of it. That bothers some, but for me it left me able to relax and picture the scenes in my mind.

20. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I've also been wondering if anyone read the book, even the actors. I think that anyone who plays a character in a movie that is based off of a book should be forced to read the book that the movie is based off of.

And about the mirrors, I don't know about all over the place, but James did smash Edwards head into a mirror. I think that this scene implies that James is way stronger than Edward. Also, I don't get the point of smashing his head into a mirror when it can't hurt him. It doesn't really make sense.

21. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

They all read the book - the directors, producers, actors. They all read it. Stephenie Meyer was actually a big part of the whole production.

As for James smashing Edward's head into a mirror...it was for the drama, of course! :)

22. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I'm glad that Stephenie Meyer was a huge part of it. Maybe the movie will be closer to the book than most movies are. I really hope that the movie doesn't kill Twilight, I'm still a tiny bit worried...

...Like when Edward gets on a bus...Why would Edward, the stupid, shiny Volvo owner, get on a bus? I don't get that. And there in trees. Why are they in trees?

23. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

You have to keep in mind that it's BASED on the novel...It's going to be a lot like the novel, but it is not going to be the novel acted out on screen. Unfortunately, that would be pretty much impossible!

I heard a rumor (don't know if it's true or not) that they're in the tree tops when he tells her about his being a vampire. If this is true, then it replaces the diner scene. I haven't seen anything where he gets on a bus yet, but I've really only watched the trailer.

24. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I have also heard that they are in the tree tops when he tells her. But I've also heard that people who liked the dinner scene won't be disappointed.

25. kissingtheshadows

There's scenes out from the movie? Oh dang, I'm not gonna watch them but wait for the movie. I don't wanna ruin the surprise :)

But I just got the speacial edition of Eclipse and went right into Breaking Dawn. I haven't finished it, since I was at the mall, then out to lunch with my mom, then to the grocery store, and now here, but I'm glad Bella FINALLY got a new car! I laughed when it said she and Edward had compromises with each other, and of course Edward had to do something silly for Bella that she absolutely hated. That's what I love about some couples, they make me laugh because they're so cute :p

But man the guy who is playing James is HOT! I was looking at the Cullens, and I was like, other than Esme and Emmett, NOPE! The Cullen kids aren't pretty enough (they put way too much makeup on Rosalie, Jasper looks like a wimp, but I do like Alice and Edward, there's just no one humanly possible that can match Edward's and Alice's beauty so I need to realize that) and Bella is TOO pretty! And the actress doesn't seem emotional enough, and I expected they would get a soap opera actress for Bella or something. But I've just seen the previews so what do I know.

But James...lets say he can definitely bite my neck anytime :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.