1. Eric Gonzalez-Payne

Eric Gonzalez-Payne New Member

Phnum Pénh, Phnum Penh, Cambodia, Cambodia

Twitter/facebook before the query

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Eric Gonzalez-Payne, Mar 4, 2013.

Background: I am writing my travel memoir and to encourage me and help me maintain a fan base I have a travel blog. My blog,has stories from many of my travels, including those I will not be using in my memoir. Beyond that I am putting sample chapters on my blog. My blog has something like 300 Facebook fans and 3000 twitter fans (no clue how it is a 1/10 ratio).

Question: If I send my query to an agent, should I say anything about my social media followers? Should I try to get more first? If so how many?

2. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

The guy who wrote "Sh&T My Dad Says" had just over 100,000 followers on twitter before he was offered a book deal.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Anything that will make your book easier to sell for the agent/publisher is helpful. If you have a large online following, state it - it can't hurt. If the agent thinks it's not large enough to be of use, so what? It's your book he/she is ultimately interested in and you'll get an offer if your book is good, regardless of your following. And if you do happen to have a large following AND your book is good, well, so much the better, innit? ;) The less of a risk you are, the better. Can't hurt to mention your followers, in other words.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

however... if the writing quality on your website is flawed, you could be shooting yourself in the foot, as curious agents checking it out before requesting the ms would assume the book is badly written, too... and there goes your query, into the round file!