1. Monger

Monger New Member

Two words. Power metal.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Monger, Feb 25, 2013.

In High School, I was into death/black metal. I liked it, but I didn't love it as much as my friends did. The 'vocals' really didn't appeal to me. It was a phase that quickly passed. Then, a year or so after I dropped out, I discovered power metal and was instantly in love.

For anybody unfamiliar with the genre, power metal is metal (obviously) but with melodic vocals and lyrics like you might read in a fantasy novel. Dragons, magic, mighty battles between good and evil, that sort of thing. Combine that with soaring guitar solos and the like and you've got power metal.

For those unfamiliar with the genre, check out bands like Hammerfall (my personal favorite), Blind Guardian, In Flames, Kamelot, Dragonforce... I would list dozens of others, but those are the few which come to mind immediately.

Are there any other fans here? What's your favorite power metal band/song?

A few great examples of the genre:

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I just saw Dragonforce yesterday at Soundwaves Sydney.

I never realised how bloody good they were live.

Love power metal. Reminds me of an extension of the glam era.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I just saw Dragonforce yesterday at Soundwaves Sydney.

I never realised how bloody good they were live.

Love power metal. Reminds me of an extension of the glam era.

One of my favourites is Nevermore. Though i guess it depends which album you listen too (depending how much power metal you're after). but they rock.

4. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

Not my cup of tea at all. I like Blind Guardian, but that's pretty much it. I'm more of a Black/Doom-person when it comes to Metal.

5. Revenant

Revenant Member

Check out Pythia. Classical power metal/synthonic power metal. I recommend the song "Eternal darkness".

6. Immat of Kafir

Immat of Kafir New Member

Since some of the bands I like are already listed (though I disagree about In Flames, their early music is Melodeath/Melodic Death Metal, possibly even Gothenburg metal, since that's kinda where they're from.) anyway, try Pathfinder. Their album "Beyond The Space, Beyond The Time" is epic. Quite literally epic. Just give this a listen: www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CJLo5F2hk

7. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

In general, I don't like hard rock or metal songs since the lyrics are often too negative for me.