University

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kit, May 16, 2007.

1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I know.I've just booked a whole load of open day visits in June/July. It's really worrying how quickly this year has gone. Have you got exams coming up, Kit?

2. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I want to book my open days, but i'm going to have trouble getting to most of them 'coz my mum and step-dad aren't all that interested in coming with me. I did my first exam was wednesday night in french, my next is on the 22nd May... but i'll be all done by the 6th June. How about you?

3. Banzai

Well, I'm IB rather than A-levels, so I've had my end of year exams already. The only exams I have left are German, because I'm doing the AS, since my teacher is a nutjob. And as for open days, I'm quite lucky, since my parents are more than happy to take me to them (and interfere in my choice...but what ya gonna do?).

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lol... What subjects do you actually do as part of the IB then? :) My dad would take me, and he's really interested in where I go, but he's always working, I don't live with him and he doesn't drive.

5. Banzai

On the IB I'm doing: Maths, Physics, English, German, Psychology and History. You have to do Maths, English, a science and a second language, on the course, as well as Theory of Knowledge, which is kind of like philosophy.

It's a lot of work, but they keep telling me that universities like it.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

To the original question, I am 3 credits away from my BS in Information Technology. I will be completing the final 3 credits by exam in Public Speaking. From there, I am looking for another school to pursue a Masters in Education, in order to teach college mathematics and science.

By the way, I am in my fifties. I never bothered to finish my degree before, but I decided it is time to do so.

7. stav

stav New Member

Awesome!

Let this stand in the face of, "there's no point in going back to school at my age."

I always get stoked whenever someone takes their life into their own hands.

8. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I'm in year 12, T.E.E and am currently being plagued with information about universities. I have no real idea about where I would like to go after school, I suppose it all depends upon the mark I get from my T.E.E (university entrance exam, more or less) as to where I can and cannot go.

BA in psychology looks pretty. If it all turns to crap then I’ll just become a nurse, where I can fail the exam miserably and still be accepted, go the skills shortage!

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The biggest problem with school is it interferes with my studying!

Most of what I have learned and applied to my various jobs, I have studied on my own. When I originally attended college, I majored in chemistry. When I left school, I took a job as a research chemist technician, and studied my way up to staff scientist. While there, I became interested in microprocessors, and learned everything I could lay my hands on about them. I changed professions and became a software engineer.

Now, a couple of decades later, I've gone back and taken courses to get my bachelor degree in information sciences. The course work has mostly covered material I have worked with for years, but the time required to do the asignments does take away from time I would ordinarily use to explore new material.

So why did I go back to complete the degree? One reason is that employers receive hundreds of resumes these days. To trim down the stack, they filter based on things like whether or not you have a degree, and so they never see how much experience you possess.

The other reason is that I am contemplating a second change of profession at some point. I wish to teach mathematics and science at the college level, and for that, I will need a masters degree in education. My current degree is a prerequisite for entering a graduate program to this end.

Yet another reason exists, and I'm not sure just how much it does matter to me. I am completing my degree to prove to myself that I can. It is a long project requiring full commitment.

When I say that most of the material in my classes was already familiar to me, that does not mean I didn't learn a great deal. There were fundamental skills apart from the primary course material that I was able to improve upon, such as working with a team with varying skill levels, presenting before a group, and writing formal research papers.

So in my long-winded way, I am recommending the experience.