1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Up all night

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Apr 7, 2021.

How many other writers here pull all-nighters. I don't like to do it often, but sometimes it happens. Here's hoping the payoff for this one is good. But I'm way too old for this and do need sleep. Anyone else stay up all night writing? Have you done it in the past? It's such a bad practice to fall into, but sometimes I just can't fight it. Will someone pick me up a coffee?

2. alittlehumbugcalledShe

alittlehumbugcalledShe Active Member

Always. I'm slowly dying, of course,but it's always fun. Especially when you come up with some bomb-ass idea and it ends up making it all worth it, anyway. What comforts me is knowing Tolkien pulled all-nighters writing and just went straight into work the next day. What a legend. Also same.

I've never quite been able to do the get-up-at-6-go-to-bed-at-9 thing. I'm a totally useless functioning adult, but hey, I'm self-employed so it doesn't matter, and anyway, my writing and other stuff more than makes up for it.

Sometimes if I can't focus enough on /serious literary writing/ then I write poetry or lyrics or come up with new music, etc. It's pretty cool, but you can't show anyone your work, either, because it's like 4am.

Am currently up late again tonight, but managed to get a bit further on the chapter I'm working on. Have you ever actually calculated how many all-nighters you've ever pulled in your life? I think mine's probably into the hundreds by now.

deadrats likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I used to write and do other creative stuff all night long. I was almost totally nocturnal. It made me feel like shit sleeping in the day, and I had insomnia really bad.

But I saw a youtube video recently (not sure if I watched it, but I saw the title) saying that if you're nocturnal you're actually way more creative at night, and trying to write (or whatever) in the day won't work nearly as well.

Now I've got myself on a daytime schedule and I'm getting old, so it's hard to stay up past bedtime, but sometimes I do anyway, usually if I get caught up in something fascinating. Then I suffer for a day or 2 afterwards. I wonder if I had remained on a nocturnal schedule if my creativity would have been better? It sure seemed better then, but I also wasn't working to high standards like I try to now.

deadrats likes this.
  4. alw86

alw86 Active Member

I'm weird, I absolutely cannot do all night, at 11-11:30pm my brain crashes no matter what. However, for some bizarre reason 7-10pm and 3-6am are some of my most creative times. One of the best things for me about having a more flexible work schedule is the ability to take advantage of the 3-6am period when it hits, rather than trying to sleep through it because the alarm will go at 7.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Yeah, those twilight periods at the fringes of sleep. I'm most productive/alert in the morning, most creative at night.

deadrats, 123456789 and alw86 like this.
  6. alw86

alw86 Active Member

Yeah, my favourite is when I have a brain dump of ideas in the early hours sitting with my phone or laptop in bed, then have time to make something structured with them once I get up.

deadrats and Xoic like this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I typically don't get home from work until 1-2am anyway... does that count?

deadrats and Cave Troll like this.
  8. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Usually, I only work through the night when I'm off the next day. Mornings are torture for me, so I'll sleep through them when I can. :)

deadrats, Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  9. DaiFesXII

DaiFesXII Member

I can't pull all-nighters. I need to sleep.

deadrats likes this.
  10. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm not sleeping. I should be writing or something, but I'm just not sleeping.

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I litterally just did that... its 7am and i haven't yet been to bed... i have however written 6.5k words (fortunately ive got this week off so day sleeping is an option)

deadrats and Xoic like this.