Upgrade Feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2013.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

OK, this is bizarro world now. I'm not having the trouble you are, but other weird things are happening.

Yesterday I had a minor issue with some kind of error message that popped up more than once. I managed to work around it. And I've posted other stuff since without problem.

But this morning or, I dunno, last night, I posted the following in this thread:

I just noticed the public acknowledgement of 'who' likes this. All that needs to be done, I think, is have it say the number of likes rather than a name. If we still got a notice who the people were, that's cake icing, but I'd trade that for the anonymity, if that's the main complaint about the new system.

Now when I look at new posts in the thread, my post appears in light grey, until I click on it when it looks like a regular post. But new posts are appearing above it instead of below it and it's the only thread my posts look this way in.

Software glitches are sometimes mind blowing. o_O

2. GingerCoffee

So I tried to test things and tried to quote an earlier post in this thread. Everything looked normal except my above post was missing.:confused:

So I'm posting this test and I'll try to hit reply to the earlier post just to see what happens.

3. GingerCoffee

I only saw the one break through spam, which I reported. I'm curious what you mean by this post.

And this is a continued test to see if the problems I noted above reoccur.

4. GingerCoffee

Everything appears to be back to normal.

I have no clue what is going on, but it is intermittent, the worst kind of problem. :D

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I've gotten error messages as well every now and then. What bugs me a bit are the avatars. Now they look "zoomed in" and blurry (like mckk's cute panda bear is too big!) so it seems I have to re-upload my avatar in a different size to make it look the way it was? Or maybe it's just with my work comp... I don't browse this forum that much at home.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I love giving rep/ likes, and I found the old system annoying because I had to sign my name every time, or risk the person wondering. I was even going to open a thread, telling people to sign their reps, because I hate not thanking someone who went into trouble.

However, I'm not sure I like that now everyone can see who liked what under each post. Somehow, it's a bit too confrontational and name-droppy, I don't need to see my name all over the forum, if you know what I mean.

It would be good to just specify a number of likes under the posts, but for the original poster to be notified which members Liked it. Best of both worlds, perhaps.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Seconded.
    I'm also a little confused about this Follow-function cos I didn't realize I had started following people. Maybe I've clicked somewhere I shouldn't =P I'll have to look into that function in more detail later...

8. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Will have to get used to 'liking' it. Never could find the recommend feature. I think it's the same for others with my comments - far fewer 'likes' than I expected, and only three trophies.

With the new system - Randolf Hitler posts - you want to applaud his/her eloquence, but not kiss a Nazi, is difficult.

On the other hand, there's alot of bots getting through.

9. GingerCoffee

Now that you mention it, I notice. My dragon's blurry.

10. GingerCoffee

A PM (conversation) will substitute for the reps that need specifics.

But I say again that "likes" would be better as a total and not as named persons.

Could you or someone explain this to me? I see the robots noted on the 'who's on' summary but don't understand what they are doing.

11. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

I have this problem as well and it makes posting a nightmare. I typed this post in Word and pasted it into the comment box because typing in-box would've taken minutes. Each paragraph is about a two minute wait. That's how bad it is. The new site is nearly unusable for me.

jannert likes this.
  12. GingerCoffee

I'm using Chrome and I have Mac OS X and I'm not having any trouble in case that helps anyone figure out the problem.

On a positive note, I wanted to say how much I like the fact when you click on a thread it takes you directly to the first unread post. :D

13. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I can't create a thread in the workshop. It says I don't meet the requirements or whatever.

14. BritInFrance

BritInFrance Active Member

I prefer the new system too. If you agree with someone privately you can PM them. I never really understood the Rep thing: it was nice to get, but what purpose (other than receiving what amounts to a PM pat on the back - which you can still give) did it serve?

It is interesting to see how many likes a comment gets ( you can call it something else if you want to distance yourself from facebook - the Guardian uses 'recommends' but it is the same thing), not just as the person who posted it, but as a casual reader. You didn't get that with the rep points.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

THIS! With the old system, even if I clicked the "go to first unread post" thing, half the time it wouldn't take me there - it would just take me to the last post, even if there were three pages of unread posts before that. I found that very annoying - this new system is better that way.

Also, I like how, when you highlight text to put it in bold or italics, you see the effect itself in your posting window, not just the etc. things cluttering up your text. And this new system automatically saves drafts, which can be a lifesaver. There are definitely some clear advantages to the new system, I think.

16. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

17. GingerCoffee

It's a quirk, since you posted it, it's not 'new' on your screen. It's annoying but an easy work around. Go to the sub-forum and it will be there. And I'll post a new post in the thread to test that you'll see it.

18. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

so is anyone else unable to post work in workshop even though u meet the requirements?

Pheonix likes this.
  19. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I am unable to post in the workshop due to insufficient privileges...

And I certainly meet the requirements...

20. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

I also have the workshop problem. I can't post there, and I certainly should be able to.

21. idle

idle Active Member

New Posts do not include those that you have already read. But there's a link on the New Posts page (top right corner, just above the list of threads) called Recent Posts and that one includes all the recently updated threads, regardless of whether you've read them or not. I believe your thread will be there too.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  22. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I often post from my iPad. Since the upgrade, when I type a comment in the comment box, if I back track or delete what I wrote, sometimes nothing else that I type after that shows up. This glitch used to happen before, if I accidentally pressed Fonts button, once the drop down menu appeared, after that nothing written would show. But now it happens on and off all the time.

The only way to 'unfreeze' it is to publish the comment and then Edit, it refreshes and is fine.

Also, if I write the comment and then decide to delete and not post it, every time I visit the same topic, there's my deleted comment in the comment box. It seems to save it as a draft and it doesn't go away unless I rewrite and publish. It's just a bit annoying, that's all :)

23. idle

idle Active Member

The "floppy" icon ("Drafts") has the option to delete the draft, that should help you get rid of it. I'm trying it now... when I click it, it says "Draft deleted" (almost invisibly in the corner of the box), the text doesn't disappear, but it isn't there when I close the thread and return to it later.

jazzabel likes this.
  24. GingerCoffee

Thanks, I hadn't seen that option.

25. GingerCoffee

Odd little things are giving me an internal server errors. The last one was fixed when I took the ':(' out of the quote I was replying to, but I could post the same quote with the frowny face when I hit reply again and typed something else.

I tried copying the offending string here and it triggers the server error again, even before I hit reply.