Upgrade Feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Mine was from May 2010, can't remember the original operating system, but I upgraded them as they came and when I re-installed it was this latest one 10. something (we did it just a couple of months ago).

2. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I've just noticed I've had my 'points' set to 0 (zero) when previously they'd been 18. Could this be a reason for chicagoliz's having become a 'New Member'?

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, just checked. Nope, I can't upgrade. My Mini is 2008, the requirements for Mountain Lion for the Mini is 2009 or later. Sigh. Well, I was going to buy a new one anyway... thanks for the help, though.

4. jazzabel

Aw, I'm really sorry! Why don't you join MacForums and see if they can help? The community there is really excellent, and you should get someone's answer within a couple of hours. Unless, of course, you are really keen on a new Mini :p

5. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

If it was already mentioned, I apologize, but I have two things to say:

I absolutely love the upgrade so far, but what's up with this 25 min cap on editing? I don't like that, at all. For someone like me, who never gets what he wants to say right the first time and usually only realizes his mistakes way after he's put down a lot of thoughts in a post, a time limit on editing is seriously hindering.

jannert and jazzabel like this.
  6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Interesting. I use Chrome on my MacBook and on my Mac desktop and I like it. Safari gave me more problems than did Chrome.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Goodness. What are you folks doing with those poor Macs? Never had any issue with Chrome on any of my Macs, never had a single issue upgrading to the newest OS, and clean installs, defragmenting etc. is the language of PCs to me. Never had to do any of those things and my oldest Mac runs as quicksilver smooth as my newest. It's why the brand has my loyalty. Are you guys running illegal, third-world sweatshops out of those poor Macs?? :p

Pheonix likes this.
  8. jannert

Ha ha! Nope. But I did just check the Mac site, and if I want Mountain Lion, my MacMini has to be 2009 or newer. Facts, I'm afraid, are facts.

I've been a Mac owner since 1994, and this will be 'our' 8th new one! (Since 1997, my husband and I have each had our own.) This is not counting the used iBook I just bought for £95, which does have Mountain Lion installed. I'll be using that ONLY for writing, and won't have it connected to the internet at all.

I'm a luddite in some ways. I still miss the friendly interface of ClarisWorks. It had a lot under the hood, but it was so easy to get simple things done. I didn't have to choose a template to get started, I just opened it up and started typing. And then chose "Save As" for my first save. Simple. Not any more...

9. jazzabel

@chicagoliz: Maybe new operating system tolerates it better. About 6 months ago, it near paralysed my Mac. On the forums, they don't talk about it kindly at all. You shouldn't have any problems with Safari, though. But it does conflict with others esp Chrome (in my experience).

@Wreybies: Haha, not at all. But I do photography and use Photoshop a lot. I was really lucky, never had a problem, until I had a problem. It just happens sometimes, but it wasn't nearly as annoying as PC trouble I had and I love my Macs :)

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

My points zeroed out too. Daniel is probably playing with his toys again. ;)

I think the 'New Member' resets predated the disappearing points. I think it had to do with certain things not automatically transferring over.

11. GingerCoffee

[​IMG]Here's a screenshot of the error message. This time it happened when I tried to edit in a post quote with a smiley face in it. Once I deleted the smiley the edit was fine. Sorry it's so big, I don't know the board code to shrink an image.

12. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I am getting progressively more irritated with the 5-25 minute limit on editing... :/

Sorry to complain... But I really liked the unlimited editing time. It was really handy, especially for RPing...

KaTrian, jazzabel and jannert like this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I didn't know there was a time limit on editing. Do you mean the time between beginning to write a post and finally hitting the "Post Reply" button? What happens if the time is exceeded?

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

No, they mean the time allotted after a post is posted that the members can return to that post and make edits to it should they spot SDaG or wish to amplify a comment. It seems to have been set to a pretty short span of time since the upgrade. It used to be two days-ish. You and I won't see it happen, @minstrel, because our permissions are different.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

At least two replies to threads in which I clicked Post Reply were never posted. Returning to the thread, I found a draft waiting for submission. In the most recent one, I was careful to submit the post, so I know I didn't simply forget to click the Post Reply button. Also, the draft was missing some text at the end, text I know I had typed in.

16. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Hey, I'm dropping in to say I'm still having the "sticky" issue, (like Jannert mentioned a few pages ago). I'm using Firefox on Windows Vista, if that helps at all, and no other sites give me this problem. (And I had no such problems before the update).

It is virtually impossible to type anything in the comment boxes here, due to the tremendous lag. Each character I type has about a 2-3 sec wait before it appears and it only gets worse as I start typing sentences, paragraphs, etc. I've been getting around it by typing my posts in MS Word and copy-pasting them in. Also, typing is the only slow thing; pages load about the same speed they used to.

17. jannert

I also use Firefox, by the way. I've upgraded Firefox as far as my system will allow me to go. I'm having trouble using eBay as well, since THEY upgraded their site software. I think perhaps we both may be using (sadly) outdated software. I'd suggest that you update your software as much as you can, within your computer's specs. After that ...well, it's new computer time. Bugrit.

18. the1

the1 Active Member

Another thing you guys could possibly try is to clear your browsers settings and cache.

Instructions for Firefox:
    1. On the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences...
    2. Select the Advanced panel.
    3. Click on the Network tab.
    4. In the Cached Web Content section, click Clear Now.

19. jannert

This sounds like something worth trying. However, before I do...would this possibly have a negative effect on what I'm doing on the web? I'd hate to solve one problem by creating another.

20. the1

the1 Active Member

Your web browsers cache just stores information on the websites you visit most regularly. It does this to help the sites load faster. When clearing the cache, if you have websites set to automatically log in, you may notice that you will be logged out. All you have to do is log back in.

Clearing the cache allows the browser to clean itself out and let you start fresh. It's definitely worth a shot I think :)

21. jannert

Thanks, the1, I'll give it a go.

22. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I'm curious what you mean by 'as far as my system will allow me to go'. I take it you're not on the latest release of FF then? I'm on 23.0.1 and having no problems with it, and that's on an 'old' 'budget' laptop from 2006 running Win7.

23. jannert

I'm on version 11.0 for Mac. It's as far as I can go with my current machine.

24. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

I had precisely this issue today. At first I thought it was my connection (I was on a train, in a rather remote area) but it seems more like a general problem.

25. GingerCoffee

You know, I'm on a Mac and using Chrome. You could try Chrome if you think it's the browser causing the trouble.