Useless Facts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

In 2013, the average American's data was worth about $19 per year in advertising sales to Facebook, according to its financial statements. In 2020, your data was worth $164 per year.

Cave Troll, Xoic and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Earp

While missing person statistics are compiled for every other demographic, none exist for Native American women.

['Useless' only because, if this hasn't been rectified by now, it most likely never will be.]

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Storysmith likes this.
  4. Earp

79% of Michigan municipalities don't permit marijuana sellers to open stores.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

RI still doesn't have recreational dispenseries. Massachusetts, 5 minutes away, however, has plenty. So we just take our hundreds of millions of weed dollars over the border to fund their schools and fix their potholes. You'd think America's capital of corruption would have figured out how to line government pockets by now. Probably too high to think that far ahead.

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    It was weird seeing the police car parked outside of the recreational shop in IL, and even weirder seeing the cop inside with an orange SECURITY vest on (they're allowed to moonlight in uniform).

Oscar Leigh and Homer Potvin like this.
  7. Homer Potvin

I'm still getting used to it. First time I bought legal weed I went to hide it under my seat and was like, wait, I can leave it out in the open right next to the socks I just bought.

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. Earp

Yeah, it's like fireworks. I'm going to slip across the Ohio or Indiana border and buy them anyway. What do you think you're stopping me from doing?

Homer Potvin likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I wouldn't cross state lines, becomes a federal issue then. Although I was kinda hoping to partake with my mom before she went off and died on me.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I have no idea whether the following is fact, I really, really hope so and it is pretty useless -- it was presented to me as fact so copying here...

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an odd number.

Why was that gauge used?
    Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that?
    Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?
    Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
    Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads?
    Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And what about the ruts in the roads?
    Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's arse came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' arses.)

Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's arse.

11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

^^ Makes perfect sense actually. Everything designed for human use is built to the proportions of the average human body, like the heights of windowsills, tables, chairs, toilets and beds (all at knee height), the width of doorways, windows, corridors, etc. Pencils and pens and razors and forks and knives are all designed to fit the average human hand. The more you think about it it's kind of mind-blowing how utilitarian everything we use on a daily basis is. Desks and books and paper and glasses and... pretty much everything manufactured for human use.

Madman and Hammer like this.
  12. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

@Hammer sounds potentially apocryphal but I like it anyways!

13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Plus it just occurred to me--the width of 2 horse's asses is also a good width for 2 people to sit side by side in a cart, a carriage, or a car (with a little extra room in between for a console). If people were wider they might have linked 3 horses together side by side.

Hammer likes this.
  14. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

It's a good story, but doesn't appear to be true: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/railroad-gauge-chariots/. Having said that, it's interesting to read on that page that the commonality of Union railroad gauges was one of the advantages over the Confederacy that helped them win the American Civil War.

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Every time I see something like that I head to Snopes. I'm rarely surprised.

Hammer likes this.
  16. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Yeah there was really no “standard American gauge” for some time.

Hammer likes this.
  17. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Well I still think that it's "quite interesting" and even Snopes says it's partially accurate, even if more by co-incidence than actual design. As @Xoic says, it would have been wider if they'd used three horses (or if it had originated in the US where there would have been necessity for a burger stall between the passengers :supertongue: :supercheeky::blowkiss:)

Xoic likes this.
  18. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Yes, we do love our burger stalls.

Hammer likes this.
  19. Earp

If the engine is running and the car is in gear, your fob button won't unlock the door (don't ask).

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Homer Potvin

Where is the driver in this equation?

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Earp

Outside the car, watching the wheels spin on the ice and hoping he has a wire coat hanger in the house (he did).

22. Homer Potvin

Who's spinning the wheels? A human operator?

23. Earp

Nope. The engine was running, the car in gear, the doors locked, and I'm outside looking in. (Don't ask how. I could fuck up a wet dream.)

24. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Ice? Where do you live, Antarctica?

25. Homer Potvin

WTF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.