1. wintersoliderbella

wintersoliderbella New Member

Using a computer game in my story

Discussion in 'Research' started by wintersoliderbella, Feb 21, 2021.

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post on here, so please bear with me.
    Basically, I recently had an idea for a new story, and the basic idea of it goes like this: Character A really likes this guy, character B. B is super into this shooting game he plays on his computer, and to be liked by B, A says she's into the game as well. In reality she has never done any gaming in her life, and so she goes to Character C, who is also really good at the game in question. They strike a deal that C will teach A how to play said game, A in return will help C with some other stuff.
    Now onto my question: I play games on my computer, and there is one game called Valorant I really like. It would be super duper easy for me if this was the game all my characters play as well, because obviously, I gotta know about the game if A is to learn how to play it. Buuut this would mean I have to talk about the game rather a lot; I have to write about the characters in the game, the maps, tactics, weapons, everything, and I just don't know if I'm allowed to do that.
    I don't know how or where to research it either and so I thought I'd ask you guys. Am I allowed to use an existing game in the manner I'm planning to, or do I have to create a new game myself?
    Thanks for your help in advance, I'm excited to hear your answers :)

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

If you're worried change the name of the game and alter aspects of it like names of characters, rules of the game, etc.

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Legally speaking, you're fine. Whether the nuts and bolts of the game--and the character's progress up the learning curve--is an effective and interesting plot mechanism is all about the execution.

Ready Player One is a good book for similar inspiration.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Like any other mention of a brand you have to be careful how you use it... just as its fine to have your character eating a big mac, but if you want tour character to discover half a greyhound in the fridge its better if its in a made up fast food chain, its fine to mention that your protag likes playing call of duty... but if hes motivated to commit mass murder by a video game its better if its a fictional one