1. Holo

Holo New Member

Using an overused fantasy creature, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Holo, Aug 31, 2011.

I originally conceived my main character when I was 12 years old and imagined her as a werewolf. The problem is that werewolves, along with vampires, zombies, witches, etc. are seen everywhere nowadays and I'm worried that people will write off my story as "just another werewolf story". The thing is, the story is not even about werewolves. In fact, she is the only main character who is a werewolf and presents its complications and its benefits.
    The way I imagined the werewolf to be in my story is less like the traditional werewolves from European folklore and more like the "wolf gods" you see in Princess Mononoke and Spice and Wolf. Basically, large wolves who descended from wolf deities. I incorporated some typical werewolf traits so that they can change humans into werewolves and so on. But should I stick with this or make her another type of fantasy creature? I was thinking of making her a pixie, but I feel like that might repel male readers.
    So what fantasy creatures should be in the spotlight now? Are werewolves really that overdone? What can be done to spice them up?

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Depends how you write it.

3. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

There isn't much you can do to stop them writing it off as 'another werewolf story' but I wouldnt think its worth changing.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Is there any reason she's a werewolf? Can she just be normal? You said the story isn't about werewolves.

But it does depend on how well it's written, and how much creativity you can bring to the story.

5. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Do whatever you feel like. Take anything - a succubus, a siren, a troll, anything you want and go with it. People will always accuse others of having a lack of creativity, innovation, and drive. Said people are hypocrites unless they have actually done something creative or innovative without a prompt. What you need to do is develop a thick skin to these nay-sayers- the hypocritical and opinionated few that try to stop you from reaching the masses, and just write your story.

As for werewolves, going back to wolf gods like in Princess Mononoke (I approve of this) would be a relatively fresh change. Adding on your own spin is nice as well.

As for spicing them up, I'd recommend curry, a couple bay leaves, and some cilantro. Throw in a a chile if you're feeling brave.

6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It sounds good, but if i were you, i would spice it up a bit. :) Werewolves aren't cliche unless it's the exact same before. As long as they aren't like the ones in Twilight, i don't find anything wrong with it. Many writers on this site have told me : "It isn't what you write, it's how you write it." Is a term that should always be repeated until the writer fully understands. Unless they can prove us wrong and make something up and it become major folklore. Who's to say it can't happen again?

7. Holo

Holo New Member

I see what you mean about making her human, but her being a werewolf actually influences her a character and some plot devices. For example, a werewolf tried to change her mother while she was pregnant. It did not affect the mother, but the main character was born a werewolf. When the parents figured this out, they imprisoned the main character in a cage in the basement every full moon night. And later on, an organization starts an anti-werewolf propaganda. So her being a werewolf affects the story and those are only two instances where it is used though her being a werewolf is very important. So the story isn't about werewolves as a whole, it is about one werewolf in particular.

But my main problem is finding cliches that people hate about werewolves. I want to make sure I avoid these so it doesn't turn off the reader. What kind of traits do you hate the most regarding werewolves? What plot devices are overused in the werewolf stories?

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Don't seek validation. Nothing wrong with werewolves, but if you write one, don't feel chained to conventional werewolf traits or, conversely, pressured to reinvent the wheel by a certain amount. Write it how you want it. My blog entry is all about this stuff. (Although making werewolves sparkling probably won't make many readers happy lol)

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

As others have said, there is no reason you can't use werewolves. Don't let comments on an internet forum change the fundamental aspects of your story. If your story includes werewolves, then right it that way. Just write a damn good story, no matter what elements you include.

10. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

The werewolves in Twilight are cliched, but they were pulled off well, in my opinion. Which is part of the reason why I enjoyed the series. Of course, you should avoid Twiwolves anyway, to avoid rip off claims. And they ARE cliched.

Also, yes, it isn't what you write, it's how you write it.

Nothing you write is original, except the way your write it.

Cogito proved it by writing the famous "man walking down the street twiddling thumbs" story, and I've transformed a boring anecdote from some guy on a forum into a (fairly)gripping short story.

11. Bchantel

Bchantel New Member

It could be considered cliche, but it's really going to be all in the way you write your story. If the plot is different from the typical "werewolf fighting vampire" stuff, then I wouldn't worry about the cliche part.

12. TSC

TSC New Member

As others have said, write it however you like, and with regards to the clichés, as long as your story isn't laden with them I don't think it matters much, and therefore it would be a good idea to simply write the story how you conceive it, afterwards when its completed and you get a few people to critique it for you, if they all universally cringe at the same points it may be worthwhile to alter them away from any possible cringeworthy clichés.

13. Protar

Protar Active Member

The important thing is to add a unique twist to them, like the lycanthropy being supressable with a potion, or the werewolves being american indians. Also try and dig up some old nuggets of folklore that people have forgotten.