Using Bad Guy as MC in a mainstream novel. Will it work?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Tea@3, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Thanks for your input here. In the screenplay this is the case, yes. He's 'doing it for his kids' sake' etc etc. So thanks for validating that this is a solid motivation.

I really appreciate all the insightful replies in this thread. What a great site, writingforums.org !!!

2. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Great point. I'm now toying with using a new MC from the first page, a la Watson as you suggested. Or, switching to the second MC upon the mid-way reveal.

I think I will head on into composing the ms and work it out as I go. I feel like giving the MC role to the secondary guy since he's not 'evil' like the original MC is. (unless I can reconcile those motivation/rationalisation' issues) I mean, this is a 'dark' story no doubt about it, but I never meant to write something like American Psycho. I like to have someone to pull for in a story. Anti-heroes aren't really my thing.

:write:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't see any reason why the bad guy couldn't be the MC. Yet again (I can hear the epic eye-rolls) I give the example of the books I am reading now by Gemma Files, the Hexslinger series. Reverend Asher Rook and his lover, Chester "Chess" Pargeter are the MC's of the story, sharing the spotlight in the first book, and then Rook steps aside and gives the stage to Chess from book #2 and on.

It's a love story.

This love story is also a path of destruction. Literal, metaphorical, and metaphysical. They are not nice people. Not at all. And yet, though they are the baddies, there are also worse-ies (horrible coinage, sorry) and you do learn to empathize with them.

Great books, btw. :)

Tea@3 likes this.
  4. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

@Wreybies It's possible I'm limiting myself by not considering all the possibilities. As in, maybe I should 'let go' and allow the story to be what it wants to be; dark from start to finish. Hmmmm...

Wreybies likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with the bolded bit in full. :agreed:

I blame it on the cult of The Likable MC, and their constant proselytizing across the literature-scape. I personally attended Sunday services at Our Lady of the Interesting MC. Baddies can be super interesting. :bigwink:

Tea@3 likes this.
  6. Electralight

Electralight Member

I think it depends on the other characters; are the good guys good? Or is everyone their own version of twisted? Honestly I think we could use more books like this. It might be aimed towards a niche market, but its a very interesting concept. And it also depends on the point of view, and how much the reader would know about the crimes (crimes?) going on.

Tea@3 likes this.
  7. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I don't think it matters if the MC is the bad guy, for me it's how well you can get the reader immersed in this character's world, their thoughts and reasoning. There's a fascination seeing the world through the eyes of a sociopath/psychopath. If you manage to pull off a twist at the end where the MC was the cause of all the wrongs that happened, that would be impressive.

I love an anti-hero for romances but for movies or books of other genres where I am not expecting a strong romantic theme, I don't care if the MC is just plain bad, I just want it to be convincing and interesting.

Good luck with your writing!

Tea@3 likes this.
  8. J. Johnston

J. Johnston Member

Death Note is a hugely popular manga. When the MC writes a person's name in his book (and has their image in-mind), the subject dies. He starts off with criminals, then moves on to cops and others (believes they're foiling his justice).

On your question: Make your character as likable as possible in the first half (charisma, wit, charm), then give him a worthy adversary, whom we wouldn't mind seeing him beat in the second. If need be, make the antagonist either less likable, or more evil than your MC (giving readers reason to root for him/her). Remember many of us still vouched for Walter White by the end of Breaking Bad, and the same holds true for Light (MC) in Death Note. Happy Writing!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Tea@3 likes this.
  9. TheoremAlpha

TheoremAlpha Member

It works AMAZINGLY.
    In fact, I can think of a good example right off the top of my head:

Lolita.
    A very hard to read book that is essentially about a mentally ill, British Writer in the Early/mid 20th century.
    He also happens to be a pedophile with preference towards pre-teen girls.
    And the book is so beautifully written you actually almost like the guy by the end, and see how truly evil he is.

The key point here, is you have to give the person CHARACTER. Make them interesting and more than just an evil person. A person whose just like the rest of us, just with something deeply twisted about them.

The Chronicles of Ridick is also a fairly decent example of someone who would typically be seen as a Villain - A cold hard, non-empathetic killer who is on the run from law constantly. But has a tiny hint of good that's redeeming and covers up all the terrible actions.

Villains CAN be very good main characters.
    In fact, it's among some of the most entertaining writing I've come across.

10. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

I want to say thanks to everyone here for the really great feedback in this thread. I believe I have turned a corner and found the adjustment I was looking for. I feel very energized about this narrative now, and am off to a good start after last weekend.

So, thank you all!

:supercool: :supercool: :supercool: :supercool: :supercool: