Using Italics for characters thoughts?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CodeZone, Aug 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. heal41hp

heal41hp Active Member

You provided a fantastic argument for, well, all of this. I, at least, thank you profusely for your efforts of explaining it in such a fair and neutral manner. I'm not sure why I wasn't thinking of this issue in the same nuanced manner as you clearly do but you've helped me remedy that defect in my thought process. :)

I have attempted both approaches and I can definitely see how they each call on different skill sets. I can also understand now how there could be so much controversy about the use of italics (though the bullheaded conviction behind what I've heard sounds ridiculous and unnecessary). I think it does require a more delicate skill to avoid using italics and I'm anxious now to develop it. Of course, even the possibility of agents/editors/publishers not accepting italics for thoughts spurs me toward this goal, too.

So, um... Yeah. Thank you, ChickenFreak. I think you saved me from the fence.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I would use whatever you are most comfortable with while writing. Before submission, I would pay attention to whatever the stated (if available) attitude is of whomever is receiving your submission. Then, I would go with that.

My own personal preference is to not use italics. I don't find it to be necessary (and my fictional narrator in my current project has a lot of his thoughts presented). But that's just me.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Ah, yes, I agree with you, and in your example it makes sense not to italicize because the thoughts are well-integrated in the narration. But there're situations where the italics just seem to work better. Then there're situations where it gets annoying and clunky.

4. Mia30

Mia30 New Member

I use italics when the thoughts go deeper, and a character thinks directly to himself(herself).

The rule is to use italics as little as possible. In first person point of view, the principle is the same. Use italics lightly, and only use them for emotional impact and when the character is speaking directly to himself(herself).

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The problem with your rule is it doesn't appear to be universally accepted.

But welcome to the forum. :D

6. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Both posts are incorrect. Proper formatting for submission is to underline what you wish to be italicized. Thoughts, when written correctly do not need to be italicized if written incorrectly. Sorry, but to tell folks otherwise is totally incorrect and leading them down a rabbit hole.

Flame me to death, it won't change the reality of the situation in American publishing. British, of course, prefers different than the NYC Big Six.

7. GingerCoffee

Sigh.....

Did you miss the pages and pages of discussion on this issue? We've all said, check with the publisher before submitting. No one has said not to do that. Underlining has been discussed and noted that not all manuscripts are tied to this archaic formatting, especially self publishing sites, but again, the one thing everyone agrees on is to check with the publisher for formatting any manuscript to be submitted.

The rest of the discussion cited editors, publishers, style guides, successful authors, writing advice blogs and personal preferences. Italics for internal dialogue is an accepted convention in a large proportion of the writing community, while still disliked in some circles. The use of italics for internal dialogue appears to be moving toward 'optional' as the norm.

8. Smitty91

Smitty91 Member

What you have here is fine. I use italics for when the characters are thinking as well. While the "thought Bob" part isn't needed, it is useful to know who is thinking what. I look forward to reading more.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm thinking of stickying this thread just because this question comes up SO often.

Watchathink?

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe it would be better to sticky the other thread in Word Mechanics, though. That thread is like 20 pages long, and there's more info there (there are also lots of arguments).

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I can glue this one to that one as well to keep the conversation in one place. Thoughts?

12. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

wow, there's ANOTHER italics-for-thoughts topic, and it's already 4 pages long!!

How about using different font colours for thoughts of different characters? That could be fun! :)

(in a way, that WAS already done, in "Neverending Story" - 2 different font colours I mean... But I won't push the idea, somebody is going to say that it's distracting, old-fashioned, european, or whatever :p)

13. GingerCoffee

I suggest a sticky with a summary and links to the detailed thread discussions which you could merge so it's one comprehensive discussion.

It would be easier for someone to sort through the various positions. And it might prevent people from being misled if they randomly read a post with asserted truths.

You, acting as Solomon-Mod ;), can summarize the positions and if people feel their position is not included in the summary or not summarized fairly they should be able to PM you with a clarification.