1. soital

soital New Member

Vague plot idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by soital, Nov 1, 2011.

I've only recently become interested in writing and am trying to learn more, mainly through reading which i also recently became more interested in. Heres my plot idea:

There is a teenage boy or young adult who is in college but has always have a strong interest in nature. He has always been intrigued by environmental science, biology, etc. and is no happy with deforestation, more dependence on technology and "futuristic" advances. He decides to take his future into his own hands. He drops out of school and runs away and begins his own "life" in the wilderness.

A few other subplot ideas I had involve finding an injured dog and becoming companions with on his journey.

I am torn with whether he should settle down or continute his trek. I had one idea involving his trek leading him to Alaska, a.k.a the final frontier.

I have more ideas but want to hold off until I get some feedback first.

2. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

I'm no expert, as my other posts will attest, but the travails of a modern, relatively inexperienced teen as he tries to adapt to a world without technology and other people doing things for him could be very interesting IMHO. I don't know whether I'd go for Alaska or Brazil personally, given that you mentioned deforestation in particular. He could be making a pilgrimage to the rain forests before they disappear, for example.
    The companion idea is a strong one, since the dog can become friend, confidante(!) and bodyguard if necessary. It would also allow the lead character's internal monologue to become external, as he talks to the dog in the absence of other company and tells him/her things that help the reader better understand the character.
    If you intend the trek to be endless, you need to reach a point by the end of the story that has your main character achieving some goal, but then perhaps deciding that he has grown as a person along the journey and his original goal is no longer enough, so he and Fido wander off into the distance in search of further adventures.
    It's standard in books like this for the hero to face the threat of wild animals, whilst coming to terms with a wilderness existence, but I'd be more interested to see the threats coming from other people he stumbles across, such as loggers (or drug farmers!).

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I can suggest the Hatchet books by Gary Paulsen, wherein a teenager has to make it in the wild. I can also say that this is actually the kind of thing I've considered doing in the past to get away from the responsibilities of a society I was born to, but did not choose.

Injured dogs have been done before and it's a tad bit predictable. I suggest you look up the guy who lived in Alaska, during his summers, and had a cabin in bear territory. He'd play fight with bears and stuff, but they all knew that the area around the cabin was HIS, and they didn't screw with that, which I thought was nice.

Anyway, Snappy's right about the loggers/drug farmers. Especially the loggers. Play too much on the drug farmer side of things and you're liable to just remind people of that movie Without a Paddle. Like I said, though, I've actually considered doing this and know of a few places where I could start not too far from civilisation to do it. Unfortunately, we don't have any bears for me to fight with my bare hands here in Australia. I could totally take down a deer unarmed though, I think.

4. soital

soital New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling the dog thing would be a bit overused, but I feel some type of companion would be a good idea. An idea that just popped into my head was, he realizes he is being followed by eitehr someone or something, and in some strange twist of events is follower ends up saving his life and simply enjoyed having someone else in the wilderness and not feeling so isolated anymore.

Any other feedback?

5. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

You might consider a young college student that rebel against technology and moves into a national park or something of the sorts (much to his/her parents disapproval) and then the MC falls for someone who enjoys the woods and is out hiking but also totally embraces technology, although not to the point of texting the person you're sitting next to. That would have some interesting conflict.

6. soital

soital New Member

Thats actually very close to what I had in mind. I'm debating whether or not to have their friendship be the sole conflict and the process of trying to learn who they truly are be the main story. My second and initial idea was to have them travel somewhere more "frontier-ish" where they could create a life of their own with their perfect blend of modern technology and a more natural life.

Another conflict I have is how "dark" I want the story to be. I have a few ideas joted down which are darker, but dont know if it would take away from the overall message.

7. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

8. soital

soital New Member

Thanks Amy, I'kk be sure to post and excerpt once I have some good material written

9. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

This sounds almost identicle to the true story, the movie, and the book "Into the Wild".
    Perhaps you should give it a read? And attempt to further your plot from theirs?

10. soital

soital New Member

I'm definetely gonna check that out, I sure hope my idea isnt to similar. I also have another idea I can focus on if it doesn't work out.