Vampires and Wizards - What Next?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ralinde, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Personally I'd like to see alot more on mutants! I feel like there aren't enough of those. Also topics like eugenics and cloning could become very popular.

2. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

I disagree, with this in mind: Almost every Marvel superhero is a form of mutant in one way or another, including the use of technology, and lately they've been creating hit after hit after hit, or at least from what I've seen.

As for the next "big thing," there's simply no way to tell, although whatever it's going to be, now's the time to do it. After the HP hype dies down, it's almost guaranteed that the Twilight saga will try and take the reigns, and let's face it. Other than teenage girls, nobody will watch the movies (I haven't read the books yet, but it's on my list. Just very far down). It would be interesting to see some Sci-fi take front and center, but the time for that was when new technology was just appearing, such as space travel and satellites. Now, though, people will want to step out of the modern world and go to a simpler time. I'd love to try and get work out, but I've got nothing to give (At least, nothing completed) and my age won't exactly help.

3. proserpine

proserpine New Member

Chupacabra romance novels are definitely the next Big Thing. :D

Actually, I would prefer to read something that hasn't jumped on the current trend bandwagon. Harry Potter was wizardry done well, and Twilight monopolized the vampire genre quite a bit. I would rather strike out on my own than try to mimic a formula that worked well for someone else.

4. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Just a quick check: Have dragons ever made it into the "bandwagon?" I know the Inheritance series did and will probably do well in the past/future, but it really isn't the book to read, not like HP and Twilight.

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I don't think the Next Big Thing will hail from the realms of sci-fi, due to a fundamental and appealing difference between the afore mentioned genre and fantasy; science can be explained and found everywhere nowadays, whereas the key element of fantasy—which is magic—cannot.
    Although not always the case, science fiction is pretty much bound to our world's physical and natural laws. Much like us. Too like us. Fantasy, on the other hand, is not. That's why I think wizards, vampires and pirates have ultimately stolen most of the spotlight.

PD: I've recently ventured to understand the semi-colon, and though not a requirement nowadays, I've always felt an allure to grammatical particularities. To make long things short, I was wondering if I used it correctly above. :D

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Aren't angels becoming popular?

After that, I think it'll be leprachauns. Everone will want their own cheeky, obnoxious leprachaun to do magic and find pots of gold.

Then it'll be wishing wells. There'll be both good and bad wishing wells, and a big war between them. The bad wishing wells will try to interpret people's wishes so they're bad for them. Humans will fight each other using squirt guns and water flasks.

No, seriously, it can be anything. Someone will write a successful book on the theme, and it'll be the Next Big Thing and everyone and their leprachaun will try to ride the wave.

I think so. But try to experiment with different writing styles. I think it's very useful to be able to mimick different people's style of speech when writing dialogue, for example.

7. Ursus_Buckler

Ursus_Buckler New Member

Science fiction seems to be increasingly popular these days...

8. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Butterflies.

Yep, I said it first. :)

9. [ESCAPE]

[ESCAPE] New Member

I would really like to see something with ninjas or ghosts... or rather, a ghost ninja xD

But really, like The-Joker said, I'm thinking it would be something futuristic and sci-fi. About 90+% of my school has read the Hunger Games [again in relation to what The-Joker said], after all.

10. Gholin

Gholin Member

I'm just gonna say what we all want.

The next big thing will be whatever any of us next end up writing and publishing :D

Is that motivation enough to finish your book before anyone else here? 1... 2... 3... go!

11. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It's going to be my story! JK XD. I have no expectations of that happening. Anyway, back on topic. I believe it will be anything that is involved with old folklore with a twist. But yet i hope not, considering the fact i like stuff that's entirely new to pop culture. Im not mentioning my book witch it contains a mix of old and entirely new fantasy races but im mentioning whoever else has the brilliant idea of something fresh. A couple of the users on this very website have a good,solid chance. If thier books don't become internationally popular, then that means the book industry is only interested on what makes the most money. Most industries do it, for an example Call of Duty? It doesn't change a bit, but then yet it overshadows plenty of creative games that are hell of alot better then CoD. The Book industry does this too. I just wish the best for terrific writers on this site, cause i know the book industry is a pain when it comes to publishing and creativity. They rejected Rowling constantly before she became published, but now as she earns all this money and gets all this praise, the book publishers wished they accepted her. I want too see this happen to all the terrific writing on this site, where they become enormously popular but without being rejected a million times. But im always open too see what's next. To be honest if it wasn't for Rowling the book industry would be so different. She went from living on welfare to glamorous luxury and a better life. I see a couple of people on this having it hard, and i only wish the best for them. I myself have been dealing with an on and off struggle, but now im going totally off topic. :D

12. westofthemoon

westofthemoon New Member

I have to agree with a lot of people here and say some genre of science fiction (I'm also hoping for this trend as well :) ). And I have to disagree with Marcelo and his contention that science can be explained and that SF is bound to our world's physical and natural laws. In the crazy realm of quantum mechanics, for instance, very few phenomena are so mundane as to not blow your mind, and most work contrary to the laws of classical physics. Like the whole thing about entangled particles mirroring each other at opposite ends of the universe...a creative person will have a field day with this stuff.

Biotech and bioengineering, along with bioethics, will probably get more popular too, especially since population issues and Montsanto and their damn soybeans and corn and "babies by design" frequently turn up on the evening news. I'm sure more dystopian futures will be the settings for many books if the economic troubles and free market issues and ineffective legislation stuff persist as well. Who knows? It's anyone's guess...and opportunity!

13. bumblebot

bumblebot New Member

Zombies, maybe. Or something else post-apocalyptic.

I think it might be Hunger Games, with the movie coming out and everything.

14. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Agreed.

15. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

What makes you say that?

16. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Sexy, vampiric zombie-wizards. Then all the teenage bases are covered. It's gonna be a rage. It's gonna take the world by storm. Build your shelters now!

17. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

There is a book series featuring angels, or fallen angels.

Of course, now that Anne Rice is venturing into territory that once belonged to her sister, I have a feeling werewolves will be getting even more attention in the coming years.

18. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

My current story features shapeshifters (I'm using the term Therianthrope).... Maybe they'll become more popular, who knows? LOL.

19. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

I have to say this, mostly for myself to hear (Okay, read). The next big thing is going to be a fantasy novel about magical creatures that were made by the fusion of two other creatures. That's right, it's gonna be Chimeras all the way.

Alright, now that I'm done being completely self-absorbed, I'm going to venture a guess and go with Hunger Games. From what I've heard from friends, it's a really good plotline and a good read, but I don't have the time to pick it up... :(. The movie will probably just make it attractive to everyone who hates reading, so that'll get at least... let's see... at least 85% of Americans to watch it.

20. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Yes, the Hunger Games movies are definitely going to be big... I think the question is, how big? Harry Potter big? (not sure that one's attainable). Will the movies live up to the hype of the books? I'm actually very interested to see how the movies turned out, because I really did like the books.

21. Mikeyface

Mikeyface New Member

*Tween powers activated*

The next big thing-- will be...

Fantasy again. Followed by Angels. Followed by ducks.

Oof, gotta be honest, did not see the ducks thing coming, at all.

22. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

No way of telling what the next trend may involve, personally I can't get enough cyborg, but that's just me.

Expect to see, as technology improves every day, more and more transhumanist SF.

23. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

If a Mighty Ducks live action movie springs from this, so help me...

24. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

In terms of literature, I have to completely agree with Mikeyface (By the way, I swear you look just like one of my friends). Ducks are going to follow up Angels for sure.

As for movies, I'd love to see a comeback of 2D hand-drawn animation, in any genre or subject. I find myself getting more and more disappointed with 3D animation (especially those that TRY to be 3D, as in glasses and the images popping out), and now moreso than ever I find myself tearing my hear out because other than fictional stories, regular actor-and-camera (Sorry, I can't think of the correct term) films can't simply avoid copying or branching off from something that's ALREADY WRITTEN. Where's Disney when you need it :(?

25. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Well get ready. Because the new Spy Kids reboot promises us 4D ACTION!