Vampires: Over done?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by liusaidh, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

My work here is done.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Excellent movie. The Swedish version is better than the American remake, Let Me In, but I liked both of them.

Looking at the book, it's interesting there is a book behind each one even though one is a remake of the other. Very odd.
    Let the Right One In
    Let Me In

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I've only seen the Swedish version.

The first book Let the Right One In is not a novel. It's the script published for reader consumption.

The original novel is Let Me In.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

No. Let Me In is the title translation into English from the original Swedish, which directly translates as "Let the Right One In". @GingerCoffee's link actually goes to a stage play based on the novel. I can't find a copy of the original Swedish book, because there is no www.amazon.se, and I don't know the names of any Swedish book stores. You'll have to take my word for it, or wait for a web surfer girl to web surf better than me.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Go for a different angle, definitely. I can't think of that many vampire comedies, besides "Duckula" and "Hotel Transylvania" - not necessarily books, but stories nonetheless.
    Perhaps the main character could be a modern descendant of the original Dracula who resents the stereotype put forth by their ancestors just because they wanted to be left alone. Yes, he or she drinks blood, bursts into flames in sunlight and don't cast a reflection in a mirror, but they're not that bad once you get to know them - they just have a bad reputation, and the main character wants to dispel the myths.

Or you could mix it up with another genre, such as the spy genre: the MC infiltrates a gang of vampire hunters, hiding their identity by filing down their fangs, wearing enough make-up to cast a reflection in a mirror and sipping blood from a hip-flask. Their mission would be to take out the hunter gang from within, turning them one by one. Will the hunters realize there's an impostor in their midst before it's too late?

6. GingerCoffee

:rofl:

7. GingerCoffee

Web Surfer Girl went looking for publication dates (and I see now I missed "Play" category on Amazon for Let the Right One In).

According to Wiki, Let the Right One In (Swedish: Låt den rätte komma in) is a 2004 vampire fiction novel by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist.
    This explains why Amazon lists two authors for both books.

Getting back to the OP, I found this story one of the most refreshing vampire stories in a long time. Twilight isn't a vampire story, it's a love story using vampire characters. And all the vampire movies of late seem to be mostly about blood and gore.

But Let the Right One In is true horror, like a vampire story should be.

kfmiller likes this.
  8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

At this point I have to bring up Robin McKinley's Sunshine. Because when the writer of The Blue Sword does vampires, she does vampires like no fucking other.

9. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Can I mention The Lost Boys ... that was a big part of my YA life!

I loved Dracula (the book) more than the film but I do think that Bram Stoker's version is essentially a love story too.

10. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I love Let the Right One In, both versions. I love Buffy and all of Joss Whedon's campiness. Hell, I'll enjoy 30 Days of Night.

Vampires, werewolves, zombies, dystopian YA, whatever it is, even if it seems overdone I don't think there is never not an opportunity for a well-written and inventive story.