1. Torunn

Torunn New Member

Novel Varying Chapter Lengths

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Torunn, Jan 5, 2021.

I have 21 chapters in the finished book. They vary in length from 12oo words to over 8000 words. This is a minor question in my opinion. Is the variance something I should address or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Lifeline likes this.
  2. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

Torunn what goes on inside the 8000 word chapters. Are there many scenes?

And if you ignore the number of words do the chapters each have a similar impact on the story? A similar time period? A similar amount of detail as seen by the reader?

I guess I'm asking if the extended chapters are obviously justified or, as I found, I produced longer chapters where I had more experience and familiarity of the subject matter.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Lifeline likes this.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Chapters are as long as they need to be. You don't have to worry about keeping them consistent.

Xoic likes this.
  4. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

I don't see any issue. I've read books that had similar variations in the length of chapters.

I would personally not go over 10,000 words in a single chapter, but if the longest is around 8000 that shouldn't be a problem.

5. Torunn

Torunn New Member

I would like to say 'Yes, each chapter has a similar impact.' Consistent detail...yes.

I went back and looked at the longest chapter which is actually 7285 words and it is the chapter when a several story lines converge.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

So sounds justified. The only comment I'd add is, if you take a reading speed of 250 words per minute, your chapter takes half an hour. I'd find that a little long for casual reading. I like to turn the light out at the end of a chapter. But that's probably a very minor consideration and just me :oops:

Lifeline likes this.