1. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Research' started by DonalL91, Apr 11, 2009.

Ive read what Cogito has wrote about Plot Creation and I know everyone is sick of threads like this, but i still had to ask.

Recently on this site I came across an interesting idea for an RPG. It really appealed to me and i took the basic concept to see if i could develop it into my own story. I have my characters, plot and theme all basically worked out but I still have one big problem that is stopping me from starting.

The main aspect of the RPG idea that I liked was that the world was that the world was dominated by a monopoly company that uses virtual reality and other advanced computer tactics to dominate markets of merchandise, entertainment,etc. And that the Goverments of the world's countries have become the company's puppets.

I have a few different ideas on how this would work but I'm not happy with them. I don't have that good of knowledge on the subject of Virtual reality and I was wondering does anyone have any ideas on how virtual reality could work to control these markets and the world or does anyone know anywhere where I can get information relevant to this?!

Thanks, :)

2. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

3. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I don't think you have to worry. What Cog means is that you shouldn't ask "Would you read this?" when it's just an idea and not actually written. You're asking how to go about something out of curiosity, not wondering if you're idea will work.

If that made sense.... haha

4. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

Thanks to both of you for your time!

Thanks lynneandlynn for the link, it was helpful! :D

5. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Yay :)

Ah, the power of google :-D

~Lynn

6. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

That gives me an insight into Virtual Reality, by does anyone have any ideas on how a company could use VR to control the markets and the mass population in general? I was thinking maybe brain chips that manipulate what they see, think and even feel?

7. Miswrite

Miswrite New Member

Well, that's kind of your job as a writer to figure it out :p Also, your question marks coupled with exclamation points make it seem like you're shouting.

"Brain chips." So they install them into every individual? How exactly will that work? :p

Companies already use virtual reality to control markets. They put product names into virtual reality games. I believe they call it advertising.

8. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

Yes I don't need to be told its my job as a writer to figure it out. But that still doesn't mean i can't ask for input or opinions. No obviously I didn't mean for it to seem like i was shouting, its a habit of mine from texting.

Yes I know it doesn't sound very plausible, that is the whole point of this thread. I am finding it difficult to come up with a better way and i was looking for opinions.

That's not what I meant, but thanks for trying. I mean Virtual Reality to control the population, to allow this company to control the world.

9. Miswrite

Miswrite New Member

One company controlling the world has a lot of flaws. Not everyone in the world has access to virtual reality devices.

Also, if you're looking for ideas, maybe do something Matrix-like? From what I can tell, your idea is similar.

10. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

The company itself is only a small part of the over all story, but its important. I dunno, i was thinking about maybe with the world in a serious depression they turn to an entrepeneur who has an idea for a society controlled by Virtual Reality. The Governments of the countries just puppets to the regime.

Actually now that I think about it, the Matrix has a lot of similarities. I never thought of that. Thanks, that actually helped a lot.

11. princess_six

princess_six New Member

There is always the idea from Futurama of putting advertising in people's dreams :D

I think that you would need to focus on extreme advertising: Subliminal messaging, things like that. I assume the company rules the world, so to speak? In that case, there would be a ban on all other products...so really, they would control the market and have total control without needing really advanced advertising techniques.

I don't know if that really helps...if the company is already in control, you don't need to worry too much about them keeping control (they are so big they can just squash the competition-basically why monopolies are not allowed now). However, if you want to describe how the company gained power, I think a lot of governmental involvement would be required as well...

Good luck! :D

12. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

It does help princess_six, thank you. :D

I was looking for any suggestions that would suit the idea or inspire me. But your right, how they got in power is in important.

13. princess_six

princess_six New Member

In that case I would recommend doing some marketing research. Look at advertising methods currently used and used in the past, especially in places where there is less law preventing big businesses from taking over.

Additionally, it may be helpful to look at how dictators have taken power. Propaganda can be applied to anything (think of the Buy American! phase the car market went through). It may also be helpful to write up a base outline of your locations government--are they a democratic government? A whole world government? Authoritative? Laizes fair? Controlled by the big business(es) of the world? And how did they become powerful? Peaceful or not? Is the company at all involved with the government? If so, how...

Again, it is all about building the relationships between legislation and business. Although I may just be rambling now due to having spent three hours studying for my marketing exam >.<'

14. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

Wow! That is a lot to think about. But again that is a really helpful suggestion.

Any ideas on where to look? :p

15. DonalL91

DonalL91 Member

Simulated Reality

I realise my mistake was that I confused Virtual and Simulated Reality. Virtual reality is easily distinguished from the experience of "true" reality; participants are never in doubt about the nature of what they experience. Simulated reality, by contrast, would be hard or impossible to distinguish from "true" reality.

It was simulated reality that was relevant to my story, this caused my confusion. Sorry, thanks for all the replys though.:D

16. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

re

Take a look at this article on Hyperreality, which is characterized by one's inability to distinguish reality from fantasy. HR can include VR, but is not VR per say. I started writing about this concept for an rpg but ended up developing a novel out of it. I keep having to go back and either do research or plan it out some more.