1. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Visual Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kingtype, May 28, 2013.

So is anyone else on this site a fan of them?

I know some people on the RPG section are but I wanted to ask the majority.

Examples of VN's would be Fate Stay Night, Tsukihime, Higurashi, Umineko etc.

2. Kingtype

Meh fudge.

This should probably go in the entertainment section. Then again VN's are literature of sorts.....so I wasn't sure where to post it.

No mater I'm sure someone will move it.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmm.... I was about to correct you and say, "Don't you mean graphic novel?" Glad I actually looked before speaking! :D First time I have ever even heard of this kind of media.

I have grown old enough to be confused by the newfangled thingamajigs the kids are into these day. :redface:

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

First I've heard the term, Visual Novel but I'm not a gamer.
    For those of us new to the term:
    Interesting.

5. Kingtype

@GingerCoffee:

They count as both games and novels.

Its confusing trying to place what exactly they are. But what I do know is that they tell amazing stories. Examples of popular VN's would be Fate Stay Night or Higurashi. I can name more but I'll say two for now as it would be a long list.

The only ways to really read them is to import it from Japan and download English patch for them or of course do it the illegal way then download the English patch. Oh or whatever language patch you would need.

Either way its a pleasure to read them.

@Wreybies:

Hey :D they aren't that new. They are actually like the children of those 'choose your own adventure' books and video games.

6. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

They're more novels than game though
    Only few have game features like the Ace Attorney games for DS
    Most of them have choice to decide the path of the story like Fate Stay Night or Tsukihime
    Some are just text without any choices or game features like When They Cry series

Definitively one of my favourite media

Bad part is the margination that they have in the communities though

Because they're more like an unique type of media they're hard to discuss in either a game based comunity or a reading/writing comunity like this one. As most people don't consider them neither a game or a novel

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I play a few ADVs, but I don't really consider myself a 'fan'. It's just a case that if I like the sound of the characters/story then I'll give it a shot. My father and a family friend are both fans so I often borrow from them rather than buy many myself.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

So, for the visual novels that don't have any choices or gameplay involved, how is it different to a graphic novel then, except for the fact that a graphic novel is printed on paper and a visual novel is "read/watched" on a Nintendo? Sounds like the difference between a paperback and an e-book to me... (again, speaking only of the ones without any choices or playing involved)

9. lixAxil

Visual novels tend to add sounds and music as background that usually fits the environment and situation
    Also most of thems are for PC than Nintendo, and regarding consoles a good quantity are in playstation consoles

10. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    I've tried a few less popular titles. I like the fact that we can choose different endings for the character. It gives an illusion of choice. Also, some stories have a beautiful way of crafting a description of the situation.

One particularly popular title I would recommend is Da Capo; I've only tried the first game (there are three or four). Initially, the fun part was trying out every option and determining which choices led to which ending. I had a blast deciphering that. Took me 3-4 days. The story for the main heroine was deep too, if my impression serves me. The only thing I didn't really like about it is that there are some loose ends that were unexplained by the end of her route.

11. lixAxil

Well, been a while since I read VN.
    I'm more hooked into Light Novels for now.
    Though I like to get the true ending usually. Hence why I prefer novels without choice and straightforward text.

My favourite VN as some already know are the When They Cry series (Higurashi no naku koro ni and Umineko no naku koro ni), I don't think that I've read a craziest and original plot than those in a VN, specially Umineko that deconstruct the mystery genre; it's a huge mindfuck and trolling to the reader

Though a good one I recommend is the NDS game 999, that is a mix of puzzle and Visual Novel. That one also has a very original and twisted story

12. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    Have you tried Cross Channel? That might prove to be a huge mindfuck too. I like Light Novels as well, though it's significantly more difficult if you can't read Japanese like me.

13. lixAxil

Never tried it.

Well I'm reading Baccano! currently, but I also don't know Japanese. It happens that several volumes are translated to english

14. Pludovick

Pludovick Member

Want to second the mention for 999 for the DS, as well as its sequel (Virtue's Last Reward) for the 3DS/Vita. Two of my favourite games ever and two of my favourite stories told in any medium. Haven't tried many other visual novels but I've been meaning to get into them!

15. lixAxil

Ever17 from the same team (I think), also is very good, however you have to withstand the first four routes, (half of them boring), to reach the true ending, which is very good