Watch two Sci-Fi nerds read a Romance Novel

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Commandante Lemming, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Like all bad things, this too must come to an end. :p

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  2. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

upload_2016-3-10_22-56-3.png

3. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

So, I just read most of this thread (skimming through parts) including all of your long descriptions of the chapters...and laughed my head off. Hilarious. Is it just me though, or did this book give anyone else a serious "Much Ado About Nothing" vibe? It really reminded me of some kind of Shakespearean comedy except very poorly executed. (Then again I didn't actually read the book, just your descriptions.)

Also I can't remember who said the thing about feeling that Bink was about to die, but I bet that was because of when Cal told Min that he was in love with Bink. Maybe that's the "time bomb" that was ticking with her that gave you that vibe.

Are you guys starting a "romance genre people read hard sci-fi" thread? I would enjoy reading that thread too!! ;)

4. Cave Troll

No, Much Ado About Nothing was a lot more entertaining. Do not compare Shakespeare and Cruise, that is like blasphemy or something. :p

5. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Lol! Obviously. I still feel like she tried to copy Shakespeare and failed though. :p

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'll miss this thread! Was so much fun. @KokoN - I was thinking of starting the romance reader read a sci-fi novel thread, 'cause I actually did start reading Three-Body Problem that @Commandante Lemming recommended, but I'm not sure I have the stamina like these two do to make it through the book. Chapter 4 and I'm already bored!! :crazy: Like, could I read a different sci-fi, please?

KokoN, Commandante Lemming and VynniL like this.
  7. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Haha well LinnyV wants to read Dune - which is longer but a classic that lots of people go nuts about. You two should discuss that.

8. Commandante Lemming

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!! ^^^^

9. Commandante Lemming

For what it's worth, here's one of my favorite reviewers doing a "Why You Should Read Dune".

I might even consider joining you since Dune is probably the biggest classic on my list that I've not actually read yet.

VynniL likes this.
  10. Commandante Lemming

Haha dude. We're all glad you're free of this (and I'm glad I'm out of it too).

I'm amazed that you slogged all the way through this.

I for one will be taking a long break from "assigned" reading - but if we ever do "Season 2" of this thing, we're definitely getting something grittier and we're consulting a wider audience. Actually, I could do Season 2 if it's like in 9 months to a year and we have a book that multiple people agree is good.

But I had fun doing the joint gripe session.

So, Romance readers, it's on you now. If you ever want Season 2, you're going to have to pick up the slack and keep the show going while we recharge :p

Mckk and Cave Troll like this.
  11. Cave Troll

I am all for a season 2 of this in 9-year. Agree with @Commandante Lemming that it should be grittier, be the consensus of a wider audience. We had way too much fun picking apart this first one, cause it was just all over the place (and over the top :p ).

For the love of all that is, please no more foot fet! :superlaugh:

VynniL and Commandante Lemming like this.
  12. VynniL

Okay... I am still mentally warming up to Dune.

This is me opening my Kindle every other day and staring at the Map at the start of the novel as if I'm somehow going to get more intelligent/inspired looking at it. Then thinking, "Maybe tomorrow."

BUT if @Mckk is interested and you too @Cave Troll (if you have not read it) and anyone else for that matter, then I can be persuaded to accelerate my mental training program. I just don't want to carry the show because I am pathologically lazy, erratic and my brain might explode part way into this Sci Fi Journey.

@Commandante Lemming there is no such thing as being a spectator for you in reference to your other comment elsewhere. If this goes ahead, you're fully in, so you need to grind along like the rest of us.

I suppose if we're to read a Sci Fi novel we may as well go for the best and unlike Crusie, no one can complain it was a dud.

Also, we get to watch the movie at the end as reward!!!

13. Commandante Lemming

Okay, so here's the deal. I'll come with you on a few conditions.

1) I am finishing the book I'm reading now before I start it. I get at least one book I chose freely. But I can do that quickly and I'm likely to catch up.

2) I'm not writing chapter synopses again. I'll do chapter reactions and keep pace, but this is your show. I haven't read Dune but Dune is in my wheelhouse and I've been toying with reading it for like a year (and I can use y'all as accountability, since the main reason I've been avoiding Dune is it's length). But what makes the thread fun is having people read Dune who wouldn't normally read Dune. I would normally read Dune, so I'd kind of be the Gandalf character here - I can add a bit of an informed perspective from inside the genre, but it's y'all's job to get the ring to Mordor .

3) Understand that I'm applying for grad school, engaged, and working like hell to finish a my own novel. If anyone falls off the wagon on this project, it's going to be me.

4) Can we at least watch the more recent SyFy Miniseries at the end?

14. Commandante Lemming

Come on, @Mckk and @Cave Troll ...you in?

15. Mckk

Dune... Oh gosh. But I hate slugging through books I erm... hate! I get bored easily and I'm a pretty picky reader... oooooooohhh.... :superthink:Not saying I'm gonna hate Dune - just saying if I end up finding it dull, I'd hate to have to keep reading it... :wtf:

Maybe maybe... I have seen some TV episode of a part of Dune (it wasn't the first one - it involved some brother and sister) and I remember enjoying that. I've actually always known about Dune and was thinking of reading it.

By the way, if anyone's gonna end up dropping out, it's probably more likely to be me rather than you! My best excuse? I have a 7-month-old who's already standing and wanting to walk. She climbs on everything! :ninja:

16. Mckk

@Commandante Lemming ok, ok. I'm in.

@LinnyV - you better not pull out on me :ghost: When are we starting?? Should we do 1 chapter per week, or 3 like these guys did? Update every Wed again, or some other day like Fri, Sat?

@Cave Troll @jannert maybe you guys would follow the thread and make that one fun too :D (wanna join in with the read?)

17. Commandante Lemming

I hear the storytelling in Dune is better and tenser than say Three-Body Problem - even though it's a longer book. There's also a really interesting literary device inasmuch as the entire novel is written in the Omniscient point of view - which given that the book has a lot of political intrigue and backstabbing, reverses the way you as the reader have to deal with that tension. In a normal intrigue-based book, the tension is built by not knowing who the traitor is or what they are going to do. In Dune the tension is built because you know exactly who the bad guys are, exactly what they're planning, and you see the good guys walking obliviously into the trap (Dune was one of the primary examples used in Writing Excuses' episode on how to use intrigue as a plot device, and the differences between intrigue, mystery, and suspense.).

Mckk likes this.
  18. VynniL

Oh how weird, I posted the same content twice. Ignore this....see below.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  19. VynniL

Okay, after several attempts I finally updated my avatar temporarily to get in theme and in the mood of this new reading project. I'm feeling very vintage Sci-Fi atm, so that means I am in.

@Commandante Lemming,

1) I agree. I am also trying to read other books too and will probably continue to do so through this project.

You're going to be Gandalf and we're suppose to be heading to Mordor? Seriously, is Dune not intensive and long enough for you that you need to bring in LOTR?! Are you trying to psyche us out before we even start so we fail?!

*Tosses Ring to @Mckk* Here, you take it! I don't want it! It's EVIL.

3) Understand I am a working and mother of young twins and suppose to be improving my writing on top of having other addictive hobbies that keep calling to me. So I bet I will fall off way before you. So when I am here, I will probably have to stop reading other threads and trolling forums if I'm suppose to concentrate!

4) Awww... That 80s film has gotten really bad reviews so I am curious already, and I always enjoy a retro film when they had to make do with the technology they had at the time. Still, I'll go with the majority on this, so if you both want to do the TV series, no problems. I will still watch the old film regardless.

@Mckk since you are a moderator, I think it only appropriate you kick the thread off. I fear a book like Dune requires heavy lifting so refer back to my lazy statement above. Let us put upon your shoulders all the weight and expectations of birthing this project. I promise as long as you keep reading then I will too. Unless partway we become converted into Sci-Fi nerds!

ETA: I can do fortnightly updates or even monthly! Also, it looks like it doesn't have chapters, so that will be a bit confusing... Guidance on appropriate reading pace and tracking oh wise Gandalf Lemming (AKA @Commandante Lemming) ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  20. Commandante Lemming

So it's up to you guys but I would set low reading targets but do more frequent updates. The accountability of doing it weekly is what kept Cave Troll and I on task. So I would set weekly or biweekly goals.

There's no chapters? Well maybe page count targets? I'd get the book, see how it's divided, and set goals from there. I think our pace was a bit grueling for Crusie but we did get through it relatively quickly.

VynniL likes this.
  21. Mckk

Page count wouldn't work - I'm reading it on my phone. I should imagine a target of reading 10 pages would be quite different for me compared to someone else reading the paperback :D

@LinnyV was right - just checked the sample on Amazon and there are, indeed, no chapters. It is simply divided into Books 1, 2 and 3. The first "book" is just over 200 pages long :ohno:

Then I don't know how we should pace this... Weekly updates is fine by me. I agree that monthly updates wouldn't be realistic, @LinnyV - think about it, if we only read a small portion per month, by the time we get back to the book, we would have forgotten everything that's gone on before! That's no way to keep up with a book, and you can't review/critique it properly if you've forgotten what went on previously and all the emotions from the book had already faded for the most part. Monthly updates also means the thread would just die - without enough updates, members will not visit the thread and keep the conversation alive. Half the fun of this project would be gone. So I'd agree with @Commandante Lemming to read smaller portions, but with more frequent updates.

I'd say maybe just review on however much you've read every Saturday? If it's a page, then so be it. If it's 100 pages, which is unlikely, but so be it to that too! :coffee: The only problem with this approach would be spoilers... But maybe the exact chapter synopsis can be put in spoiler tags, and personal thoughts and critique below that without spoiler tags? And each chapter synopsis should be titled with perhaps a summary sentence of what it might be about overall so we could at least guess if it contains spoilers for ourselves?

I've already started reading the first page - it looks all right so far. I already have a negative comment about it though :ghost:

22. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I read Dune years and years ago ...and ended with mixed feelings about it. I'll enjoy watching this thread and seeing how you guys get on.

Mckk likes this.
  23. Commandante Lemming

Hmm. Are there scene breaks? Maybe we could use those as dividers if we get a feel for how long the scenes are on average. Have one person look ahead scanning for a scene break and then give us some kind of marker as to where it is. I can't do that because I'll be on audiobook, but that's the only way I can think to do it.

24. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I just went through this whole thread, great job everyone. My ex would go through a romance novel about every two days & I never could understand the appeal of the genre. (Not that I do now either.)

I have Dune on Audio book & it's broken into 18 parts that they call chapters so I'm assuming those are scene break areas. I might just have to listen along with you if you do a thread on it.

123456789 and Mckk like this.
  25. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

If anyone wanted to read The Three Body Problem, it's a Kindle daily deal today for 99p:

Commandante Lemming and Mckk like this.