1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to
    The New Incarnation of:

Wayfarer's Tavern

From time to time, our open chat thread becomes unmanageably large. It also degenerates into a stream of noise posts, where people are posting simply because they are bored and wish to be entertained. This has happened consistently enough that we have to question whether such a thread should continue to exist.

This remains an open question. The repeated collapse of tis thread into a flood of twittering is a problem that must cease. It's a shame that it has to be this way, but we must place some restrictions upon posting here.

This is the thread to make small talk, i.e subjects which do not merit a new thread. Still, small talk should contain significant content, so we will have to clamp down on posting that generates high volume of content-free posts.

• Don't post to ask if anyone is here, or to announce that you are here. This unfortunately must include posts that only say "hello", or "good morning", "goodnight" or the like. Assume that you are holding an offline conversation, not a real-time chat". The exception is that new members may introduce themselves to the group with a "Hi, I'm new here" post. After all, that is one main purpose of the thread, so new members can feel welcomed and get to know the community.
    • Don't tell us how bored you are. Read a book instead. Or if you are in class, pay attention to the teacher.
    • No pictures or links in this thread. We have other threads for pictures, and there is no need for links in the conversations in this thread.
    • Take private conversations elsewhere. Conversations here should be with the community at large, not with one or two people you hang with.
    • Just say no to netspeak. It's you, not u, and for, not 4. Emoticans and the most common abbreviations like LOL may be used, but sparingly, and may NOT be the sole content.

In short, post when you have something to say, not just to fill space or time. This thread will continue to exist only if members can use it appropriately.

Please do not post about matters which are not suitable for this thread; use your own good judgment. For example, posts complaining about how the forum is run or griping about other members are not permitted. If you have a problem, please use the report post icon [​IMG] (preferred). or contact one of our moderators or the site administrator (to find out who are your moderators please go to the forum leaders link at the bottom of the forums). Daniel is the site owner and sole administrator,

The idea is to keep this a fun, lighthearted thread that everyone can participate in and enjoy, and never be made to file like an outsider.

So put your feet up, raise a pint (we have soft beverages too!), and share some good cheer. Remember to take good care of your servers!

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*pokes head in new tavern, grabs a cup of whiskey and plops on couch*

Guess what I'll be doing this summer? This summer I'll be taking one course (and it'll be my final math class to complete my history degree) and I'll also be (hoping) having a part-time job or something.

So excited!

Of course, I'm still hesitant about that math class, since I'm somewhat bad at it. XD

Anyone else taking a summer course/having a part-time job in the summer?

Seraph751 likes this.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I hope the following is okay (More so saying rather then up for discussion).

But i woke up a few hour ago (1am). I was hoping to get some good sleep tonight, knowing i have to travel into the city for the day. Woke up a few hours ago with a stir.

Not odd, but i usually have a good mind for detail. The bedside draw was open all the way and one of my shoes was on the bed. What is strange about this was a ate dinner before going to bed (which i ate on the bed watching TV) and I had showered and dressed hour's before.

Strange. I am on my own tonight, which kind of killed sleep.

The shoe could easily be explained (somehow), but i have certain OCD's. i don't leave draws open. Never.

I don't sleepwalk or anything like that (Not saying that i couldn't start..)

Woke up to the feeling of thinking i was still dreaming or dead or something as well.

Anyway.....at some point, insanity was going to show.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I started reading The Harafish again for my semester final. Amazing book. I'm afraid that it will consume all my free time and that I won't get my work done. I suppose its better than reality TV though, right?

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

If you'd had the same attitude when you were just born, you'd still be crawling around on the floor eating your foot. Just go for it ;)

I don't know whether it counts as a job, especially as I'm not getting paid. But discovering new villages seems like something that resembles a job. It's my new hobby.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know there is zero relationship between The Harafish and Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series, but I couldn't help making a mental picture when I read that title. Har (s.) and hara (p.) are the terms that Wraeththu use for themselves since traditional gender terms do not apply.

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Yeah, it has nothing to do with gender. Harafish is the term used for common poor people in the book. Normally used as a derogatory term, but lovingly in this text.

8. Ruben

Ruben New Member

My last final exam is tomorrow! HUZZAH! Then full time job in summer. Not so HUZZAH-ish.
    Ruben

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Good luck on the exam, Ruben. What subject? And what kind of job will you be taking on?

10. Ruben

Ruben New Member

It's Classics (Ancient World (Greece, Egypt, Rome), which I normally love but this professor wasn't as good as my first. I hope on working in a bookstore. That way I can get a lot of reading done, but maybe also get good critiques from co-workers.
    Ruben

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I'm trying to walk on eggshells here, so I don't know what exactly to say.

My....knitting is going well.

And school is okay, I guess. I'm getting a D+ in math. Not exactly sure what to do....about that.

:(

12. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I would highly enjoy working in a bookstore, except customers might get a little annoyed with my ceaseless rambling. =/

13. Gigi_GNR

I would like to work in a bookstore as well, but you have to recommend things, and I know I hate it when the salespeople buzz around me, so I feel reluctant to do that, but you HAVE to....

I really don't see the point in anything anymore.

14. Evil Flamingo

Well there's no harm in asking if people need an opinion. Lord knows, I have enough them to go around, so I'd probably do well in that respect. I guess, I never really get annoyed with that unless it's very repetitious. I guess I'm just too patient. =/

15. Gigi_GNR

You're right.

It sounds like we're both depressed today; anything wrong?

16. Ruben

Ruben New Member

Hooray for ceaseless rambling! I would love to recommend books, but I would only repeat myself if I was asked/
    Ruben

17. Evil Flamingo

I haven't been having a good last few weeks and I'm getting tired of more **** piling on. It doesn't help that I had four hours of sleep last night and have been working on homework since I got up (early) this morning. I guess I'm just cranky. But I didn't get two poems done, which kind of makes me happy. I posted one on here. They're done in completely different styles from what I'm used to, so it's all a bit scary.

But anyways, I just don't feel that well. And I'm tired of being sick.

How 'bout yourself?

And yes Ruben, ceaseless rambling for the win!

18. Ruben

Ruben New Member

Well, I'm sorry that you're not feeling too well but I'm doubly sorry that there is not much I can do about it. Just keep smiling buddy! You'll get through it.
    Ruben

19. Evil Flamingo

Yeah yeah I know. It's life, I'm used to it goin' downhill. There's a lot of uphill to climb when you get far down though. =/

But anyways, what's everyone been up to today?

20. Ruben

Ruben New Member

Nothing much, just posting a few things on here, getting ready for a final exam tommorow, being lazy, the usual.
    Ruben

21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I guess that's good. When you're at your lowest, the only way to go is up. :)

Well, I've crunched together the numbers and realized that Monday and Tuesday of next week are big exam times. :( That and one exam this Thursday.

So, what does that equal? Huge study time. Meaning I won't be able to come on much.

22. Gigi_GNR

I'm genuinely surprised and overjoyed at all the good people here. :) While the rest of the Internet is full of trolls and idiots, all the good people seem to be gathered here. :)

Thank you guys so much for being your awesome selves!!!! :D

23. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

^I didn't do anything this time, but you're welcome. :p We love you, Gi!

I don't think this deserves its own thread, so I'm going to ask it here: For my roller derby name, which is better- Miss Behavin' or Half Nelsen (because since I married Joel, I'm half a Nelsen ;))

24. Gigi_GNR

Half Nelson, cuz that's a lot funnier IMO. :) Miss Behavin' is funny but other people can take that name; you'll probably be the only one there that is a half-Nelson. :)

25. Evil Flamingo

You too. =]