Wayfarer's Tavern

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I deleted Facebook and banged out almost an entire novel in a month. I will say that I was ready to write the novel (however bad the first draft is), but I think walking away from Facebook gave me the focus I might have needed, an extra push.

Hambone likes this.
  2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I am banned from Facebook, old friends are dead to me, Johnny.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family. I stay away from political stuff on FB - it just makes me angry.

4. Hambone

Hambone Member

I've considered the same thing. Just disappear, then come back to promote when the time is right.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  5. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I feel like the last of the Mohicans whenever I say "I ain't got no facebook, love". Been thinking of starting one (for the past 4 years or so). Nobody believes me when I say I don't have one. They think that I live in some kind of cave, communicating via smoke signals.

Seraph751 and Hambone like this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What's a Facebook?

Shattered Shields and Malisky like this.
  7. Malisky

I'm not sure but it sounds like a conspiracy.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Isn't it the book they show you in the police station when you report witnessing a crime?

Hambone and Malisky like this.
  9. Malisky

Then all of my friends must be criminals. Nah! It doesn't sound right. :p

10. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

My Facebook I deleted after it sat stagnant for at least a year.

Honestly it almost always seemed like a waste of time to me, as with most social media.

Hambone likes this.
  11. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

A foot away from my life and it is sheared by the train's departure.

12. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Thoughts and random whimsies have kept me from having a conversation with my eyelids. Thank goodness for pen and paper eh?

13. Link the Writer

Well, I just managed to draw the perfect avatar for this October. >:] Behold: AN EVIL, ZOMBIFIED, DEMONICALLY-POSSESSED MISHU JERNI!!!

upload_2016-8-20_17-28-55.png
    Foolish mortals! I am here to haunt your nightmares and steal the souls of your loved ones WHILE YOU WATCH!!
    THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM ME! I AM THE DEMON GODDESS, I ALONE AM THE TRUE INHERITOR OF THIS WORD!!
    ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE ME OR BE BURNED FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  14. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Well, well, well, I guess it is time I stopped back through here. I hope I still have some friends lingering around. Hope everyone is doing well, too! As per the usual, I've got some things to report on, but I'll keep it briefer this time.

So, since the last time I was here a couple a major things have happened. I have loved and lost, I've taken over more responsibility at work (and I'm on my way to 1 of two possible promotions), and I've revamped my spiritual life.

I met a girl (who actually kind resurfaced in my life after some time) and we decided to try dating. I experienced feelings I didn't realize I had. I tried a lot of new things like Filipino food, cliff diving, being a father figure, being a boyfriend!! ha ha. Things were really good it seemed, but then they suddenly weren't. She was fighting things and I became the scapegoat. She didn't communicate with me. Finally, after we had gotten over a bit of an argument on the 4th of July, and I had given everything I had to give her a great birthday she broke up with me via text and never spoke to me again--ripping away my happiness, my vision for the future, and my sense of purpose all at once, while leaving her muddy footprints in my mind. There was no closure, no goodbyes or any form of reconciliation. It was not a very long relationship at all, tbh, but for what we had, we got really close and had done a lot. I've since moved on, since it's been like a month and a half. but that one stung. ha ha

That whole ordeal showed me just how distracted I had been, though. And it started even before her. had been kinda neglecting my spirituality and floating in the superficial. Since then, I've gotten back into meditation, picked up some new things like tarot, and I've really just been focusing on inner peace and personal power. This has sparked new creativity in me. So this morning I managed to write three small paragraphs. (which is an accomplishment as of late.

I've also refocused at work. A couple months ago I took over a second department. It ha been challenging since I also lost my only two associates at the same time. But I've managed to pull in positive sales comps and hit the marks where it matters. The only thing slipping is productivity and store standards. But my managers think I've been doing a fair job given the circumstances. They asked me if I wanted to put in for the electronics Dept. Mgr position that they've been unable to fill. I didn't really want it, but I told the I'd strongly consider it because it would be a really good move since I want to promote to salaried mgmt. If I don't get that one, they have already said they think I'm ready to move into salaried ranks, so I could put in for that at any point and see if I get an interview in the area.

Anyway, there's the scoop. So now I'm trying to write again and re-cultivate myself. Wish me luck. hopefully I can balance it all this time. I'm actually thinking of building a new webpage and starting a blog there. I've also got a couple of story idea that I'm TAKING ACTION on too. Things feel good right now.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

@Andrae Smith! We have an Andrae sighting! Woohoo! :)

Good to see you around. Too bad about the girlfriend, but good news about the spirituality. And the cliff diving! (I hope the cliff diving was for fun, and into some kind of body of water, as opposed to being onto land and a result of depression about the loss of the girlfriend... It was, right? RIGHT? :eek: ;) )

It's great to hear that you're writing again. I hope it means you'll be around here more often.

Welcome back! :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  16. Link the Writer

Amen, I have Facebook myself but I only use it for the same reasons as you. Politics make monsters out of men, in my opinion.

@Andrae Smith - You need to stay here more, Andrae. We're so cold and lonely without you. So very, very cold and lonely...

Andrae Smith likes this.
  17. cydney

cydney Banned

I like this thread! Just now checking it out.

I think all the rules in the first post are amusing. I wonder if they worked. :)

I guess I can talk about why I'm feeling a little depressed. I was hoping that a new experience in a new place would be better than an old experience in an old place but it turns out it's the same way!

Yeah, it could be my problem. :)

Now, I hope I've sugar-coated my feelings enough for anyone who reads this. :cheerleader:

Wow new (for me) animated smilies !! That's enough to give me a real smile on a dismal day.:superthink:

18. Andrae Smith

@minstrel So good to see you! Yes, the cliff jumping was just for fun, and it was into a body of water. :bigwink: I will definitely try to make it around more often. I actually don't spend nearly as much time on the computer anymore--thankfully because I am out experiencing life instead of hiding in the shadows.

@Link the Writer Awe shucks. I guess I'll have to drop by and bring some sunlight every once in a while ha ha. Open the windows and such. :agreed::bigcool:

In other news I am in SoCal! After 3 years out of state between school Arizona and moving to Colorado, I have finally made it back to my hometown. I'm on my last day, but it has been such a nice trip seeing all of the familiar faces and places. It's so crazy coming back and seeing how much has changed and just how much really hasn't. To be honest, it's largely the same as when I left, we're all just a little older. What was a bigger trip was trying to sort out my feelings about being back. When I left for ASU 4 years ago, I was so ready to leave San Bernardino. I thought I might never come back. Over time I wanted to come back and see friends and go to the beach. Now I am here and have done everything I wanted, and suddenly the city's redeeming qualities have woken up. The best way to sum it up is that, I actually might try to visit more often in the coming years, although I don't see myself living here.

Tomorrow I take the 17 hr drive back to Colorado Springs. This time I won't be alone though. My step-brother is driving back with me and he'll be staying with me, my sister, and my brother-in-law for the next year. We're going to need a bigger apartment. :bigconfused:

19. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

@Andrae Smith Long time no hear! Sorry to hear about the girlfriend though. :( Sometimes relationships are like that, but at least you know it wasn't True Love 'cause otherwise it would've lasted. So move on, meet new people, and enjoy life. Hopefully you'll get around to write some more; I remember you had a pretty interesting story underway. :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  20. Aaron Smith

I'm about to shit myself nervous with anxiety. My heart rate is up and it won't be steadied until she says yes or no. Time will see if I'll have to resort to the Happy or Not Happy Thread.

21. Andrae Smith

Hi @KaTrian ! So nice to hear from you! Thanks for the encouragement. It's strange to say, but I honestly have no recollection of what I was working on the lasttime I was here. I've been trying this thing called "life" and ou know what? It's just like in the movies! Ya knw minus most of the car hasesand explosions. ;)

How have you been?

22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Life, what's life? I live my life in the fiction I write. :D

@T.Trian and I have been busy moving to a new apartment, but we've also near-completed another draft. It's a re-write of an old story, actually. Felt like we had to get it out of our system now.

I remember you were writing some kind of super hero story back then. :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  23. Aaron Smith

she said yes

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  24. Andrae Smith

That sounds really exciting. We're thinking about moving to a bigger apartment or a town home before too long. We just moved our step brother out here wit us, and that isnow a 4th adult in our tiny two bedroom apartment, which also houses two cats... I'm glad you guys are as productive as ever with your writing! It is inspiring. :)

Speaking of writing, that sounds familiar. I've had a few projects come and go in my mind in the last couple years. I just haven't felt the pull toget behind them. Something is coming soon.

KaTrian likes this.
  25. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Yay! That calls for some exclamation points!