We are back online! Server fundraiser comments.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Just noticed that new sidebar on the main page!
    Nice work, @Daniel. Though the links to the "goal page" leads to a "You don't have permission to view this"-message.
    And the donate-buttons don't work either, but it's a start! :p

Will we be able to choose a custom sum when using that button, or are we bound to predefined values like before?

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

@Komposten, thank you. I hadn't fully enabled permissions yet since I'm still playing around with it, that's probably. I just did so, so everything should be working and viewable now. When donating there'll be several pre-entered amounts, but it'll also have the option to enter a custom donation.

Right now I have entered the January sever fundraiser (which has been met) and an reviewer system new feature fundraiser, which should be considered a test fundraiser for now and shouldn't be donated to, as I'm unsure if we should try to pursue the project and I do not currently have an accurate quote.

3. Komposten

I just read the FAQ about the fund raisers and found the writingforums.org/donate page through it. I've checked the donate-button and links now and it's all working.

I also noted that you've added my suggestion of a $1 subscription. I'm glad I could help.

Daniel likes this.
  4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Maybe a list of donation times and amounts could be linked from the main progress bar? It would be anonymous, with the only name anybody able to see being their own*, but everybody would still know that everybody else would be able to double check their own donations.

That way, the only way for Daniel to lie would be to add imaginary donations to the list that nobody would exist to disprove, and that would only discourage donations from real people by making them think that he was getting more than he really was.

*For example, Person 1 would see:

You donated $15 on the 15th, 4:30 AM
    [hidden] donated $25 on the 15th, 3:00 PM
    [hidden] donated $10 on the 16th, 9:00 AM

Person 2 would see:

[hidden] donated $15 on the 15th, 4:30 AM
    You donated $25 on the 15th, 3:00 PM
    [hidden] donated $10 on the 16th, 9:00 AM

5. Komposten

If you go to writingforums.org/donate and click on the title of one of the goals (e.g. "January Server Bill") you will find a list of donations if you scroll down (with time stamps).
    Alternatively go to that link and press the "List Donations" link underneath each goal's progress bar.
    Whether or not you want your name to be visible is up to you when donating. However if you choose to be anonymous you will be anonymous to everyone, including yourself (I think).

@Daniel
    Have you considered adding a drop down menu for the donate link at the top of the site? It could contain items such as links to the fund raiser and supporter pages as well as FAQ links for both of those functions. Now people might think that the fund raiser is the only way to donate unless they check the FAQ or "Information" menu.

6. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

i kinda jumped from the first page to the last :p.
    i don't know much about the internet, sites and forums, but instead of renting a server or a part of it , wouldn't it be better if you bought your own, again with donations and patience and instead of paying for the email server, for few months put that money aside and buy one , the price range is from 500 to 5000 according to pc masters magazine :p and of course we will support the forum until we find a good alternative, this place is awesome , i didn't notice it was down , this morning it was working fine.

7. Simpson17866

@Komposten Huh, look at that. Never mind then :oops:

Komposten likes this.
  8. Daniel

@Simpson17866 I appreciate the thought, but it just wouldn't work. The donation management software actually lets me make up donations anonymously, apply them retroactively, etc. That's how we have the January fundraiser on the donations page, I added the donations to the software's fundraiser after the fact to see how it works.

@Komposten I have considered it, and probably will. It was actually up for a few hours yesterday, but I felt a donations tab might be too "in-your-face."

Also, while the $1/month donation idea was an easy and good one, it looks like PayPal takes 34% of a dollar donation! So unless I can figure a way around that it might not be the best method of donating and I'll probably remove it.

@Juju Bagdasarian Fortunately donations were raised within four hours and it was brought online - I think a large portion of people didn't even notice. :)

As for the server, buying our own isn't really feasible. We'd only be able to do that if we were a larger company, as it requires knowledge of server maintenance, upgrades, security patches, monitoring, and so on. We'd also risk more intermittent downtime and would require a commercial internet plan. And that's just what I know. I think there'd be many other issues with setting up one's own server. Thanks for the suggestion though!

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

34%? Are you sure? That's sounds way off base. Are you sure it isn't 3.4%?

I just checked and it looks like it's the 30 cent per transaction fee that's the problem.

10. Daniel

Ya, looks like it. So $2 would be like $1.66 roughly, presumably then?

Edit: Changed the donation amount to $1.35.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

If this website can avoid doing what the guild did and not switch servers or something, and not delete all my posts would be great.

12. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Everyone send all your money through me and I'll only charge a 33% surcharge.

jannert and Daniel like this.
  13. Komposten

I see the "Donate" menu is back!
    Looks nice, @Daniel. Keep up the good work!

By the way, for those who've already started a $1 subscription, do we need to do anything or will it automatically change the sum to $1.35?
    An automatic change seems like a bad system for security reasons from PayPal's side, so I just thought it'd be worth asking.

14. Daniel

You would have to cancel it and create a new one the next month. Whatever you subscribed under would stay at that amount and wouldn't change automatically.

Honestly, I think it was a good idea but the PayPal fees just eat up such a high percentage. Now if everyone used bitcoin micro transactions would be so much easier.... :p

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If someone donated $12 for a year instead of $1/month the extra 30 cents per transaction would only occur once.

16. Daniel

Great point. Just added that as an option too.

17. Daniel

Just saw this bit... thought it was your signature!

I renamed help to Information because it makes more sense and allows me to include more information. I forgot to change the "Help" when it was selected though. Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the donation button not being centered... you're right!

18. Komposten

I'm getting too many options... If it continues like this I'll be poor by the end of the month. ;)

To be honest, I had forgotten that I ever wrote that. :D
    Always happy to help!

And that "Support Us" menu is really taking shape, too bad that none of the links work (permission issue) because I want to read about the new stuff! I guess I'll have to wait until everything is finished and stop complaining.

19. the1

the1 Active Member

I like some of the ideas that have been suggested what do you guys think about this one...

Someone suggested that people like to become a Supporter because of the little perks that are offered. I'm sure some of us can come up with a few other things that could be considered perks that people may like to make a small donation for.

For example, currently users are not able to have images in the signatures. What if for an x dollar donation those users are now allowed to have a small image or two in their signature. Obviously rules can be developed for the size of the images etc that's really a non-issue.

But little perks like this I feel some users may be enticed to throw some money your way @Daniel ;)

20. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't like the idea of images in signatures because they can be distracting and don't do much. Also, it takes longer to load a page because of all the images that have to be loaded.

21. Simpson17866

Same here. Avatars seem to work well enough.

22. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

As much as I like the idea of images because of the artistic piece of me lying on a bear rug, not everyone thinks certain images are appropriate for browsing at work even though they may be art, or it takes longer to load, and several other things.

23. the1

the1 Active Member

The website already has advertisements and other types of images, I don't feel loading times are really an issue in this day and age unless you're still using dial up.

Restrictions can be put on the size of the image to curtail this if it is an issue and as it is a paying feature not every user would have them, so loading won't be that bad when you think about it.

As for images providing a distraction I see your point but surely they don't provide that much of a distraction do they? I mean I'm sure this isn't the only site or forum you browse... Images are used to enrich web content these days, I'm not sure if a few extras images on site would be all that bad, especially if it is able to raise some more dollars.

24. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I have nothing against images used for advertisement purposes because that helps keep WF running. But useless images below every single post? That would get annoying fast. I've been on several other forums that allow images in signatures, but it wasn't until I joined this one that I realized how much I prefer not seeing them.

Komposten likes this.
  25. the1

the1 Active Member

Yeah fair enough. But in essence these images in signatures are supporting the site as well, through the monetary donation that would be needed to enable them on a user by user basis.

I wouldn't mind having a nice 460 x 60 px image hotlinked to my blog, grabs the attention of the user (just like an ad) and people would be able to check it out if they wish.