1. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

"We are the music makers,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by murasaki_sama, Mar 10, 2013.

"And we are the dreamers of dreams."
    Ode
    - Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy

Greetings and salutations!

I am called Mura, although you may feel free to develop another nickname for me. I am a younger writer, in my early twenties, aspiring to one day be published. Technically, any time something is posted online it is self-published, but I will not count that if you don't.

I prefer to write science fiction and fantasy, and seem more prone to longer stories than shorter ones. I hope to work on my short story writing ability, as I want to be published in Asimov's Science Fiction one day.

I am an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy. I have a lot of writers I enjoy following, well over 100, so I will spare you even the short list. Currently, however, I am focusing my attention on reading books on writing. I feel I am learning a lot, and would love a chance to practice the knowledge I am pursuing.

Prior to joining this website, I explored my writing by roleplaying on various community forums. I currently feel that roleplaying has, at least to an extent, offered me more than enough. I need to start focusing on actual stories, and plot development and on working on my own. This doesn't mean I will stop roleplaying, and in fact, I look forward to joining a roleplay or two on this website.

I look forward to making friends, learning, and further exploring my writer's craft.

Hi?

2. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Hey Mura! Welcome to the forum. The Role Play here is the best I've ever found. There are some great games going and more great ones coming. Hope this place helps you develop your short story skills.
    See you around the RPG portion of the forum.

3. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Thank you for your welcome. I will definitely look into the RPs then, if you recommend them.

4. Revenant

Revenant Member

Hello, Mura. I hope you fit right-on-in here. We're happy to have you.

5. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Thank you Revenant. I hope I fit in too!

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi there Mura, welcome on board.

7. supportivemember

supportivemember Banned

("...and how you got it so right when you felt that to post is to publish on forumland now..." ventured the goblin suspecting too, that whereas most writers probably didn't feel that they were their posts to their readers, almost every reader saw the author by their posts, continuing "...me, I don't go into roleplaying as such, as I can't write as you humans do, instead I just like to write in a manner that is more me to my pen here, and besides, since most literature is written in third person, plus I'm here to write too, then why should one be stuck writing posts with neither narration nor dialogue to suit some dull given norm...", at which point the goblin realized that he was just standing on ceremony then, so without further ado he splayed his hand in a wide circle in front of murasaiki_sama to reveal a long red carpet thronged with railings and snapping paparazzi that lead to a huge black limousine whose door was held open by the very man of her dreams who simply held out to her an exquisite engagement ring and a limitless credit-card no less, "...so, what do you say then, you'll write with us awhile won't you, I mean if this doesn't please you, I can always change it for coffee and doughnuts instead...", and yes, to post did seem to publish where all one had to do was steadily entice readers to one's pen here)

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, Mura!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirements. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills. The requirements of the Writing Workshop don't apply to the contests, so new members are allowed (nay, encouraged!) to get stuck in and enter!

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

9. murasaki_sama

murasaki_sama New Member

Thank you for your greeting, Banzai. I actually read through all of that (info on the workshops and the rules and stuff) before I even made an account. In fact, in addition to the RP system, the workshop is the entire reason I joined. Its so hard to get reviews anywhere else, and when I do, they are rarely constructive. I like that this site sort of requires them to be so, and has a system that makes it fair to everyone wanting a review. Its great!