Tags:
  1. katina

katina Banned Contributor

weddings in stories

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by katina, Sep 29, 2018.

Ever included weddings in your stories? If so how many have you written?
    And did they last or were there also divorces?

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I wrote an absurd wedding in the first book I ever wrote. It took place during a flashback and all of the bridesmaids in the book later turned out to be victims of a serial killer, the groom had been strong armed into the wedding because the girl was pregnant, during the ceremony when asked if he takes her as his bride he says no and chases the 12 year old flower girl into the bushes while the bride miscarries his baby. It was a bizarre scene. And given that I was influenced by the grunge era I think all the bridesmaids wore black lipstick.
    In my new WIP a character is a budget wedding designer who has never had a descent wedding. In fact most of my characters get married in a hurry. Probably something subconscious about spending that much money on a party.

katina likes this.
  3. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I have a main character who begins the series divorced, but is friends with his ex-wife. I wanted a character with relateable flaws, and his is that he is an absolute workaholic, and it's costing him. The irony in this case being he was working so hard for his family ... that it cost him his family. Part of his character development is dealing with that issue.

In the same series there's another pair of main characters who are dating, and after going through a lot (including surviving a civil war and one of them apparently dying) they get married in the end. I was going to kill one off completely but my brother told me that wasn't satisfying after spending nearly a million words building them up over multiple books, and my readers would punch me in the face.

So I changed it. :p

katina likes this.
  4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

It's kind of funny that I write romance, but have never included a wedding in any of my stories!

katina and Nariac like this.
  5. Nariac

A wedding is kinda like an ending, really. Especially in a romance story. I guess it would usually be assumed to be after the end of the book, if it's not the epilogue. :)

katina likes this.
  6. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

The ceremony itself isn't included, but the first chapter of my WIP features the main character's wedding reception/after-party and wedding night. It's an arranged marriage, so he's not exactly thrilled. The words of a particular uninvited guest get under his skin and lead to him being in the right place at the right time to witness an event that kickstarts the story.

Divorce isn't really an option in this setting, so I guess it will last until one of them dies. Since they develop a certain fondness for each other by the end of the book, that'd not as bad as it could be.

Linz and katina like this.
  7. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

My Current WIP does have a wedding scene, it has quite a few ceremony scenes for that matter, :p .

Crowning, bestowing ranks, and I just wrote my first Christening scene for my WIP (Christening for lack of similar word).

I would have to go look at some of my other stories, but I don't believe they had weddings. usually implied since till this current WIP they have been pretty same. Though one does get interupted by the groom, when he refuses to marry his betrove, instead inviting her to his home so that they can visit and decide if they like each other. He gets the wrath of his father for this. LOL.

katina likes this.
  8. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

I'm going to include a wedding in "Fate" and the two aren't going to get divorced.

katina likes this.
  9. katina

katina Banned Contributor

Fate is that the title of your story?

10. Linz

Linz Active Member

There will be a wedding in my WIP, gets mentioned in its sequel, and no, the married couple don't get divorced.

Although, divorce could be on the cards for one couple married before the book/s started.

That sounds like something I'd be interested in reading.

X Equestris and katina like this.
  11. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

My main characters are all bit too young, confused and not very traditional to get married any time soon from when the story starts. But I would like for this story to go on for a while so maybe it could happen with some of them. Some of them wouldn't want to though.

katina likes this.
  12. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

It's the b.s. title I put on there and now I can't shake it. :p

Linz and katina like this.
  13. Ashley Watters

Ashley Watters Member

My first WIP ends in a wedding. I describe the dresses as they walk down the aisle. I heard that actually writing weddings in romance was cliche. I am not sure if I should keep it.

katina and John-Wayne like this.
  14. Nariac

I'm not sure if it's cliche. I mean, I'm not an expert on romance, but I assume that a wedding would generally be a satisfying epilogue. It would be closure to the story arc!

15. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

At this point, who cares. Does it matter, technically everything is cliched now. It just depends on how you handle it