1. DopePoet

DopePoet New Member

Weekly Writing Prompts? Just an idea.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by DopePoet, Jun 4, 2013.

I'm new here, so I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. It looks like a nice writing community, btw.

I noticed you have a writing prompts section. Forgive me for saying so, but it doesn't look that active. Before I registered I had the idea of maybe having a weekly writing prompts section.

What do you think? It could be anything. For short stories, flash fiction, poetry. Traditional writing prompts instead of word games. What do ya think?

I also noticed there's no dedicated section to writing poetry or specific genres of writing. Maybe something to consider adding. I'm sure other members would appreciate such in-depth sections as much as I would.

Peace
    ~The Dope Poet

2. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

I think it's a great idea, so long as I don't have to be the one that comes up with the prompts! Haha--but seriously. Anyway, I was also looking for a section here not to long ago that's dedicated to prompts where one can write a brief something about something, whether it be fiction, non-fiction, essay, or a poem.. I'm totally down with this idea.

3. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

First of all, welcome to the forums! I hope you will enjoy your stay ;)

Maybe some forums are still hidden because you are a new member, but:

Poetry subforum: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    Short story - horror: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    Short story - fantasy: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54
    Short story - crime & thriller: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=53
    Short story - scifi: https://www.writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I am not 100% sure what you mean with weekly writing prompt, I have a hunch though. Do you mean that a theme is set each week, and that people write short stories, poetry, songs etc in that theme? Sort of like a weekly writing competition without the competition?

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

There're the workshops, as the guy above me has posted, and there're also short story and poetry competitions that happen weekly I think. But I get what you mean - writing prompts would be kinda cool. For me, the best is using a picture - give me an interesting picture and my pen starts to write all by itself :D Mind you, all those little word games that happen in Writing Prompts - if they're not prompts, then what are they? Like, how would a weekly writing prompt be different to what's already there?

What are traditional writing prompts supposed to be? An opening line, a premise, a picture?

It's a good idea, but I just don't think it feels distinct enough from what's already around to change much...

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Weekly Short Story and Poetry contests serve as writing prompts, and don't require yet another member to maintain them.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

If you are looking for writing prompts, you could check out storyaday.org or google writing prompts and you'll get tons of results.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

As mentioned, we do have the short story contests and poetry contests that essentially act as writing prompts. I do like the idea of separate weekly writing prompts though, perhaps with more diversity (picture, sentence, etc.), that don't run as writing competitions. If someone wants to volunteer for this I wouldn't be opposed - all you'd have to do is start a thread weekly in the writing prompts forum.

As for dedicated writing sections, we do have the writing workshops for writing critique, but we don't currently have sections to discuss writing in specific genres or forms. I'm not opposed to this either, but I don't think there's enough interest to support dedicated forums.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We also have the Writing Prompts forum. Anyone can post a prompt there.