Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Werewolf Books Wanted

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by MilesTro, Nov 6, 2012.

Anybody know any good werewolf novels to find at libraries and book stores?

I want to read one that isn't like @#$%ing Twilight. No stories about kids just turning into wolves and making love to humans. Unless they are lesbian werewolves. No gay werewolves either. Gross! Plus no vampires are allowed.

I heard Anna Rice made an interesting werewolf novel called The Wolf 's Gift. It sounds just like The Wolf Man taking place in the modern day.

After I checked out what is available at the San Diego County Library, it doesn't look like they have any good ones. Most of them are teenage paranormal romance books. But they do have some werewolf horror novels too.

I would also like to read funny werewolf books, even if it has some romances.

What books do you know?

2. Velox

Velox Member

Jim Butcher's Fool Moon is about werewolves, and was done very well, I think. His whole Dresden Files series will have small cameo appearances of werewolves, and is a great series.

3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I read a graphic novel of Dresden Files.

4. steve119

steve119 New Member

Coyote Moon by John Vornholt is good it is were-coyotes as opposed to werewolves. Yes it is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel but no vampires in it.
    shame your anti vampire as Charlaine Harris approach to were-creatures is quite good in her books but obviously full of vampires as they are the southern vampire mysteries (true blood books)
    Twilight shouldn't be in a discussion about werewolf novels as there are no werewolves in the twilight saga

5. luna claire

luna claire Member

There is Carrie Vaughn's trilogy,"Long time Listener, First Time Werewolf", but I haven't read it.

6. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Buffy fights different kinds of monsters. Why bother calling her a vampire slayer?

7. steve119

steve119 New Member

true but Buffy still rocks lol

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

There are some vampires in that book.

9. Night Queen

Night Queen New Member

Alpha and omega series or Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs, Blood and Chocolate by Annette Kurtis Klause or the dark powers series by Kelly Armstrong. Some others are Nightshade and Born at Midnight but I, personally, didn't care for those..

10. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

The werewolves in Mercy Thompson, Blood and Chocolate, and Nightshade are just !@#$ing shape shifters. Dark Powers and Born at Midnight deals with different kinds of monsters.

11. luna claire

luna claire Member

There's Poul Anderson's "Operation Chaos" and Robert McCammon's "Wolf's Hour". There is also the non-fiction book, "The Beast Within: A History of the Werewolf" by Adam Douglas. Or the novel "The Wolf Hunt" by Gillian Bradshaw.

12. Angel Toledo

Angel Toledo New Member

Midnight by Dean R. Koontz

13. the antithesis

the antithesis New Member

Wikipedia knows all.

Funny thing about werewolves is that they don't have a Dracula. Closest to a classic novel with a decent amount of fame is Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, which isn't a true werewolf but about a man who turns into a monster. Worth a read as it is short, but won't tell you much of the werewolf mythology.

14. thedarkknight

thedarkknight Member

I thought Jacob and his clan were werewolves. ?????

I would recommend Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King. It was made into a movie called Silver Bullet.

15. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

In the Twilight universe, they are called Werewolves. But I consister them as shape changing wolves.