1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

WF Short Story Club Selection for October

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by thirdwind, Oct 2, 2011.

This month we'll be reading and discussing A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I loved his novels, so I'm really looking forward to reading this story.

2. thirdwind

I finally got around to reading the story. It's a bit different than what I'm accustomed to reading, but I still liked it. I don't want to comment too much on the writing itself since this is a translation. Perhaps someone who reads Spanish can see if anything important was lost in translation.

As far as the story is concerned, it's clear as to what Marquez is trying to say/argue. In fact, this story sort of reminds me of The Grand Inquisitor in Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. Ultimately, people want proof that their faith in something/someone is justified. When that something doesn't live up to expectation, people would rather criticize it than reform their personal beliefs.

I don't want to give too much away since I'm not sure how many of you have finished reading it. Hopefully we can get a few more replies to get a conversation going.

3. thirdwind

Is anyone else reading this story?

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I've only read the first paragraph and will read the rest later when I can concentrate better. But one thing I noticed was the length of the opening line. Personally, I would've put more punctuation in or split it into a couple of sentences. I guess this was a technique of making the reader finish the first sentence and then hopefully read on. Although this could be down to the translation. Anyway, will offer my thoughts on the actual story soon.