1. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

What are some good resources for researching living weaponry?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Flashfire07, May 31, 2018.

Hey all. I'm writing up a science fiction setting in which all technology is biological. This includes the weapons wielded by the characters and their opponents. The problem I've run into is simply that I have no idea as to where to begin searching for information on this topic. In particular, I'm stumped on how to create dangerous ranged weaponry beyond venomous harpoons and acidic sprays. So... does anyone have any sources they suggest for me to peruse? Sorry if this is a little vague, I am literally working from virtually nothing here.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The Tyranids in WH40K are bio-weapons, so try looking into them. :)
    Also their tech is bio-based. They use bio-mass for everything. :p

3. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Yeah the Tyranids are a good source of inspiration, so are the Dalkyr from Eberron and the Zerg... although those are just Tyranids really. I'm more trying to figure out how they'd actually work as I write harder sci-fi and like to keep it scientifically accurate, even if the inhabitants of the world don't know it.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Biologically designed weapons? You'd need access to the DNA you want to target and some safeguards to prevent it from mutating and affecting you.

I guess you could develop a manner of communicating with insects like bees and sicc'ing them on your enemies? Or a symbio type relationship with a creature that is deadly to the people you're fighting against?

5. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Check out any of the Star Wars books featuring the Yu Zhang (Yuuzhan) Vong. They were a race that came to the Star Wars galaxy from another galaxy where they had long ago revolted against traditional technology and used weapons and armour designed from and of other living creatures. Even their ships were large, space faring organisms that they altered for their own purposes.