Tags:
  1. Jayesh Sinha

Jayesh Sinha Member

What are some made up titles that could be used in a fantasy for important persons

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jayesh Sinha, May 9, 2019.

Like there is a General, how does Janaral sound?

Or like there is a Lord and Counts and Kings etc. How do titles like Ezar sound? or how about Finaon for King.

Basically I am trying to think of some made up titles and was trying to run those past you guys for how effective they sound.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Janaral I like. Ezar I like a lot. Tabt ...not so sure. Sounds like somebody spitting. :)

3. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

May I ask what the purpose of these made-up titles is, and why you aren't just using Lord, General, and King? I'm not being critical; I'm curious! Anyway back to your actual question.

They sound fine to me, but keep in mind a multi-syllable word like Finaon can get old quickly when you always have to use it with another name.

For example, we never just say "king" or "queen;" it's always "the king/queen," or "king/queen so-and-so." "Your Highness" is also used in place of their name and title, but while being long, it's really easy to say, and thus not very tiring.

Also make sure that your readers understand what these titles mean. They won't automatically have an understanding of them like they would the real world ones ;).

Where did you read Tabt?

4. Jayesh Sinha

Jayesh Sinha Member

I edited the post, and replaced it with Finaon.

As for why I want different titles, I want to set the world of the story apart from the middle times, and one of the ways to do that I feel is to have fictional titles. The context of the story I am flirting with is that humans rose to be super powerful and then there some incident, a war, or something that destroyed humanity to the point only a few hundred/thousand lived after that. They repopulated, but all the knowledge was lost. They recovered some of it but basically it is a humanity reset and how the men walk the old path and reasseble into tribes and kingdoms and empires and so on. And the story and conquests and conflicts of those kings and Emperors.

Its a grandish plot, I doubt I am truly good enough to write it. But well lets explore.

So since there is a reset, I felt they would use new titles.

5. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

This sounds like a post apocalyptic story; am I correct in that assumption? Restarting life wouldn't necessarily mean creating new titles, so if you want to keep to the familiar ones go ahead and do it. If you still want to keep made-up ones than just be careful the readers know their meaning. If they're done well they can certainly add to the "different world" feel of the story.

There have actually been a lot of similar events that's in your story in the real world. Did you know the Romans had running hot and cold water and were performing brain surgery before their fall? And the Black Plague wiped out about a third of England's population. There's a lot of real-world history you can use for inspiration if you want.

Good luck!

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I asked this from Her Wideness Tzaritar Justiina. She told that I must ask from Pack Masters.

Pack Masters told that under Tzaritar there are Jarli and other Dukiis. (Only one of Dukiis can be Jarli, of cource.) Then Countzies and then Lordzies. And that's all the top ranks: Tzaritar, Jarli, Dukiis, Countzies and Lordzies.

Then comes Masters. They don't have static statuses. Masters status depends about His or Her Owner. Pack Masters, Law Masters, Tax Masters, Finance Masters... Name it, you got it.

Under that of course hated Executors, but I suppose you are not interested about such low ranks?

I hope this helps you.

His Loudness Jarli Alan, the Supreme Commander of New Birka, the Highest Löylynlyömä