1. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

What are terrorist code names used for?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Catrin Lewis, Oct 26, 2019.

And what do members of terrorist cells call each other in private?

Yeah, it's a naff question, but I'm running into an obstacle with it.

In real life, as in spy/thriller stories, terrorists (I'm thinking 20th century European leftists) are known by code names.Like Carlos the Jackal. In my WIP, I want the leader of my terrorist cell to be introduced by his code name only; I don't want the reader knowing his real identity till later. In his case, it's a name he adopted for himself, not something the authorities dubbed him.

I suppose it would be good for signing demand letters?

More crucial, would the members of the cell all have code names, and would they call each other by them when they were alone? Seems silly that they would, especially if the Fearless Leader has recruited people he knows.

Would they be on a first name basis? Or would they, for the sake of the revolution, call each other "Comrade LastName"?

Not that anyone here would have first hand knowledge of this . . . :whistle: but if you've studied those times and that sort of group, I'd love to read your comments.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. SouthSideDon

SouthSideDon New Member

I think I know what you're saying. :)

In the book I'm writing, my main characters use code names when out in public, but they use their real names when they're not out committing crimes. My reasoning is that they want to be anonymous when committing crimes so they use code names, but when they're at home or at the bar or whatever, they use their real names so that no one else can link them to their horrible crimes.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Ilich Ramirez Sanchez - was originally codenamed carlos by his cell leader on account of his latin appearance - the jackal tag was given later by the press after a guardian journalist supposedly found a copy of the day of the jackal amongst his belongings

point being that code names for cell use are usually fairly anodyne since their purpose is to obscure and protect the real identity - thus your leader is more like to be known as 'bob' in public that he is to be known as 'the glorious moose' or whatever.

things like 'the jackal' or 'the glorious moose' are more likely to be media inventions

in terms of signing demand letters i'd expect them to mostly be signed from the group rather than the name of the individual - particularly in the case of left wing supposedly egalitarian groups like the red army faction or the PFLP

Cdn Writer and Lifeline like this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

Yeah, you're probably right. Though for plot reasons I like my cell leader referring to himself as "The/Der Wolf" so the reader stays in the dark for awhile about who he really is.

We eventually learn that when he was a student he used to dream of being a revolutionary, and played around with fierce-sounding code names he might use.

Unfortunately for a lot of people in my novel, he's a Wanna Be who turns out to be a very deadly Is.

(If I've put that right.)

It sounds like the cell leader could use the giving of nicknames as a means of control. If he wants you to be "Shorty" or "Fats" or "F***head," that's what you are, no arguing.

I still need to come up with a plausible-sounding name for the group, something that hasn't been used before. Leftist cell names run along pretty predictable lines and it's hard thinking up anything new.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if the leader is 'der wolf' then maybe the others all have animal names too - that has been done before but then so has everything

Cdn Writer likes this.
  6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It's all about anonymity. Your terrorist leader might use a pseudonym because his real name might be recognised and get him killed - especially if he has a realo identy as well as a terrorist one. The counter intelligence people would probably assign one to the group because they don't know the leader's real name, or alternatively they don't want what they know about the man leaking out. And the media will use names because they sound good and sell copy.

Cheers, Greg.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  7. Vellanney

Vellanney Member

Makes me think of superheros and villains. Real names for those you trust, and fake for everyone else. And even when you're friends, you can still use fake names until/if you ever decide they're worth your real name.

Cdn Writer and Catrin Lewis like this.
  8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    A different thought.

I disagree. I'd say if this group is organized (down the line) they would NEVER socialize together and whenever they are together, they would use nicknames, rather than codenames, to maintain operational security.

Look, if your group's objective is to bomb a church, a school, or commit a violent armed robbery that will result in multiple deaths and a place on the "most wanted list" then the group should be thinking long term. Think of it this way, unless the goal is to "die in a blaze of glory" they want to escape so they can commit more terrorist acts or enjoy the stolen money and live the good life.

I could see your plot going along the lines of recruiting members, planning the crime(s), carrying out the crime(s), and escaping. Then novel #2 / story #2 advances the plot further.

Think of it this way, how often do the "godfathers" of crime socialize with the "corner boys" who sell drugs on street corners? It simply doesn't happen due to operational security.

I have a hard time believing that El Head Honcho is sitting around in a bar, sharing a beer with the disillustrated youth that has been convinced to wear a suicide vest into the local school. The immediate aftermath of the bombing, all the investigation is going to focus on that last 24 hours, 48 hours, etc and if El Head Honcho is anywhere near this guy....he's caught.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  9. Cdn Writer

TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Ok....I assumed that the baddies had a minimum level of intelligence. Well....beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here!

I was bored, I watched a couple of hours of "outlaw tech" and the specific show I watched showed how people stole $40 million dollars from various ATM in USA by manufacturing debit cards and credit cards then recruiting a bunch of street level crooks to make the rounds and withdraw the maximum amounts of money from each ATM.

The brain trust that was involved.....they were captured on ATM cameras doing this and then to put the cherry on top of the "you're an idiot" award, some of these guys took pictures and posted them on social media! You know, posing with stacks and stacks of stolen cash and flashing gang signs, bragging in captions - "Ripped off that ATM!! Ya, baby!" - and posting it on instagram and Facebook.

No surprise...they got caught. I really can't believe people were that stupid. If I was able to steal $40 million bucks, I'd be the lowest key individual ever. I'd obey every law - no speeding, no spitting on the sidewalk, no littering and not give the cops ANY reason to even look at me.

If your terrorists are that stupid, then I guess there's nothing wrong with walking into the local pub and having a drink or two or three with people on the terror watch list in public...

ATM = automatic teller machine. Also called an ABM = automatic banking machine.

10. Catrin Lewis

My story happens in 1982-83, pre-social media, so I don't have to worry about bragging on Facebook. I am struggling, however, with how soon my cell will start "taking responsibility" for their crimes and/or releasing manifestos to the national press. At the moment, I have them committing a number of preliminary crimes before the big one, in order to blindside the authorities, then taking credit for the previous acts to prove how powerful they've become so the government will yield to their demands.

What you say about anonymity is very much to the point. My head honcho masquerades, under a number of aliases, as a respectable businessman, with a job that gives him the excuse to travel. Unless they're carrying out a mission, he meets with his fellow cell members only in the safe house he acquires at the beginning of the book. (That's also where they keep weapons, stolen money and goods, hostages for ransom, etc.)

Maybe what I'm calling a code name is really a nickname. He needs one handle to unite all the fake names he goes by in the world.

11. Cdn Writer

You could look at the United Kingdom and Ireland during the time of "the troubles" as there was lots of terrorist activity and bombings during this period and its similar time-wise to your plot. Jack Ryan of Tom Clancy fame prevented an IRA bombing in one of the movies and was targeted by the IRA in reliation I believe....."Clear and Present Danger" or possibly "Patriot Games."

I am sure there are other countries that dealt with terrorism as well, I just don't know if they're relevant. Some South American countries had governments that waged campaigns of terror against their own citizens. The citizens may have tried various counter terrorism techniques against the governments that were trying to kill them but how successfully?

And I realize it's really old fashioned, but you could look at the resistance to the Nazi during World War Two by the various underground fighters in France, Poland, other occupied lands.