1. kaloni

kaloni New Member

What are the different genres in children's books with their ages?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by kaloni, Sep 4, 2012.

What are the different types in children's books with their ages?

Hi all,

Can somebody provide me the info on the different types or categories of children books available with their ages?

For ex :

picture books ( from ages 2 to 4yrs old)
    early readers ( 4 - 8 yrs old)
    transit readers ( 6 - 9 yrs old)
    short chapter readers ( 7 - 9 years old)
    long chapter readers ( 9 - 12 years old)
    middle grade (9 - 12 years old)
    young adult ( 12 onwards)

I am not sure about the correct order and terms used. Can anyone give me the exact list in the correct order with the right ages and their correct categories.

TIA,
    Kaloni

2. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Member

Those aren't genres - genre refers to contemporary, science fiction, fantasy, horror, paranormal, urban fantasy, dystopian, historical fiction, etc. As for the lengths of books, no idea, although I can say that YA is generally 12/13 onwards (usually the MC has to be in his/her teens, or so that is the norm in YA books from the discussions I've read on the ages of MCs).

3. kaloni

kaloni New Member

Sorry Kaidonni. I used the wrong term and now I have rephrased the question now to what 'type' or what 'category'. Thanks.

I need to have this information because soon I will be querying agents for my children's book series. And most of the literary agent websites ask for the category and the age range.

There are different categories available as mentioned here:
    http://childrensbookcreation.blogspo...ens-books.html

But I need to know the exact categorisation as there has been further additions now-a-days like early chapter readers ( both long and short etc), transit readers etc. I am not finding the articles where I found this info before. So was asking for this info if anybody else knows it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can get all of that with a few minutes of creative googling...

however, there are no 'exact' categories... they vary from publisher to publisher...