What are you cooking tonight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The jarred stuff helps with my laziness. Okay, not laziness. Sometimes I'm just too fucked to be bothered and use it. Tell no none, ya hear?

OT: Mary had a little lamb and guess what? it tastes great. Lamb gyro tonight.

2. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

That lamb followed her to school one day alright...in a lunch box.

I actually did have a lamb like that though, lived in the house. Hung out with the dogs, wore diapers, loved riding in cars, would get dog biscuits from the drive in window at the bank, and do I miss that little identity crisis.

On topic though. Hamburgers with cheese, mustard, and pickles. They should be served no other way. On bread instead of buns because....make do with what you have. No better all American meal.

Some Guy, jannert, Moon and 2 others like this.
  3. Moon

Honesty is the best policy....even if it ruins your taco dreams. Bah. This numbskull called Moon should be grateful the misses cares about my health to begin with. Type two diabetes isn't something to take lightly...like I did/do, sometimes anyway.

So dinner is Peanut butter and sugar-free, fiber rich jelly on whole-grain low crab bread.

Wanted tacos.....oh shut up, brain.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Chinese food. Deep fried pork with sweet and sour sauce, fried rice and garlic noodles.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Funny, I was just thinking about roast lamb the other day, and realising I've never cooked any. (It's not traditional where I'm from.) I did eat a fantastic roast leg of lamb dinner many years ago, cooked by a friend's mother here in Scotland. It was memorably good. BUT I don't remember what went with it? What's traditional accompaniment ...besides the mint sauce? Mashed potatoes? Some kind of vegetable? I just can't remember.

My husband just made a fabulous lamb curry tonight, though. The whole house smells wonderful. But we don't get to eat it till tomorrow. Curry, like most stews, is usually better the second day, or so I'm told....

Hammer and matwoolf like this.
  6. jannert

Oh, yes. Although I also put ketchup on mine, and maybe a bit of onion. But not all this other stuff folks like to stack onto a burger—bacon—cherries—haddock. What have you.

Some Guy and Kinzvlle like this.
  7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Something I have frequently done with roast lamb is a steal from my dear old grandma when I was a kid - suet pudding.

I have never, ever had it served by anyone else, but basically you make a big, flattened, suet dumpling, exactly as you might find in a stew, but bake it in the oven so that it goes crunchy and golden on the outside; kind of the roast lamb equivalent of beef's yorkshire pudd'n. Wholly recommended.

8. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Thanks @J for quoting my lamb philosophies.

Lamb is the £15 investment at the supermarket. You feel like you are helping somebody Welsh, or a New Zealander and you shrug your shoulders. And also as you know it was the damn cowboys destroyed the US lamb industry during our century - with the chasing of steers/wearing chaps/the British Empire.

For me - accoutre sides would be the 'very best' roast potatoes. Nothing but perfection is acceptable. Buttered parsnips, string beans, red sauce, green sauce, bisto, Bordeaux wines again - with any of the remaining family members.

9. matwoolf

[​IMG]

10. Hammer

yeah, well, you say that - but

with lamb???????

upload_2019-11-3_22-36-20.png

Attached Files:

11. matwoolf

The parsnips are for me. ONE thing for me.
    Is it wrong? If it's wrong I shall evolve 'appropriately.' Chicory?

Very concerned.

Some Guy, Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  12. Hammer

The snow fell thick and fast in Yorkshire that Christmas. Thinking that no-one was watching, @matwoolf quietly buttered his parsnip, but he was spotted; it was seen.
    'Is it wrong?' he howled, in obvious pain. 'I ask for ONE thing at Christmas, I LIKE my parsnip buttered! It doesn't hurt anyone else does it?'

Some Guy, Kinzvlle and matwoolf like this.
  13. jannert

Ah, parsnips! If memory serves me right, that's what the lady served ...and roast potatoes? (I've never made roast potatoes, but my husband knows how. Again, not something I grew up with. I LOVE parsnips. And maybe some green vegetable—if not beans, maybe broccoli? And Bordeaux wine ...love that as well, and have some in stock.

I'm not sure what you mean by red sauce or green sauce, though. Do you mean redcurrant sauce and mint sauce? That would make sense. Oh, yum. I think I'll give this a go.

BTW, what also goes GREAT with Bordeaux wine is baked camembert. Served with crusty bread cut into pieces, rubbed with fresh garlic, and dipped into the bubbling cheese. (A few walnuts to munch along with are also delicious, and help the body process all that fat as well.) This might make a great (and fun) starter for the lamb dinner. Like a fondue, without the fiddly forks.

I'll need to concoct a suitable dessert. Something very light and fruity, I reckon.

You're right about the cowboys, though—and cattle and sheep did NOT mix happily on the plains, because of the way they eat the grass. Sheep crop it right to the ground, and that ruins the grazing for cattle. However, sheep weren't raised for meat so much, in the west. It was for the wool.

Lamb and mutton has never actually been popular in the USA, except in certain ethnic communities. To the extent that I never had any (outwith Campbell's Scotch Broth) until I was in my late 20s and tasted it at a Greek restaurant, in dolmades. Wow. It really had a different flavour from the other meats I was used to (mostly pork and beef and chicken.) I like it, and happily eat it when it's served, but I still don't really cook with it myself. Why? Dunno. I guess it still isn't really on my radar as a cook (except for curries and Greek dishes.)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Some Guy likes this.
  14. matwoolf

Roast lamb is from the trencherman manual, page 1.

- You wouldn't spoil the experience with cheese. Maybe a camembert several hours later, spread and groaning on the sofa, no offense.

- Broccoli doesn't quite hit the spot. It's not an elevated vegetable, and is depressing/mid-week/Milton Keynes. Cauliflower would be fine, but essentially for me - runner/string beans, possibly broad beans, possibly possibly tinned or jarred peas, carrots.

- Gravy would have to be box-type Bisto. I mean to many this is the centrepiece - even sub the lamb for a slice of @Hammer bread and some chips. And remember to remain forever wary and suspicious of 'own creation' gravy type individuals. Any fool can make gravy. Those types of men probably manned staff headquarters during the Great War whilst making their gravy.

Yes, I know about the cowboys. We've been talking about this and the US Ambassador's endless lamb receptions for a decade x.

...oh...and seek a tutorial for your potato 'problem.'

Kinzvlle, jannert and Some Guy like this.
  15. matwoolf

WRITER QUERY

Does anybody know the social origins of 'well-done beef' - as in 'burned like St Joan.' Where is the 19c/18c source? Is it Napoleonic Wars and people who eat medium rare, rare beef are/were traitors?

Kinzvlle, Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  16. Moon

Tonight is taco night. Yes. Sour-cream, shredded yellow and white cheese, chicken cutlet diced into it with onions. Oh no..oh...ohhhh that sounds so good. Why can't dinner be here now?

jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK, but I did find a timeline of food, which may have an answer.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodmeats.html

matwoolf likes this.
  18. jannert

I guess I was thinking colour, when I thought of broccoli. Maybe peas instead? Green beans aren't all that 'reliable' in this part of the universe. I like colour with my food.

Yeah, I need to learn to roast potatoes if I'm going to live here. I've been dragging my arse on that one. And Bisto? Never used it. This is all so British.

Some Guy, Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  19. Pikefish

Pikefish New Member

Made a Dutch stew called "Hutspot". It's potato, union and carrot. I ate it with a meatball.

Cave Troll and Kinzvlle like this.
  20. Moon

Pizza tonight. Little fuzzball loves pizza and she recently scored high on an exam, so she's earned her reward.

There is an excuse to eat pizza above this line.

Shut up, Moon, let people think it's for your niece.

No you shut up, Moon.

No you.

No you.

No you.

Some Guy, Cave Troll and Kinzvlle like this.
  21. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Moon and Cave Troll like this.
  22. love to read

love to read Senior Member

A bagel with cream cheese, baby spinach, chicken breast and tomato.

23. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Frozen pizza.

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Pop-Tarts! :D

25. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

As much as I don't want it to be, I'll probably be doing left-overs today. Spaghetti in a meat sauce, and whatever other nonsense is still floating around, maybe even Tom Kha Thai soup if it hasn't gone bad yet. I hate these days.