What are you cooking tonight?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Medium. The key is the really, really constant stirring, especially once it starts to bubble. It'll bubble a lot for a while, then the bubbles will slacken off and it'll just be kind of syrupy. Then, all of a sudden it will go dry-ish. That's when all the water is gone and the sugar has recrystalized. If you keep going after that the sugar will caramelize and you'll get kind of an almond brittle effect, but to do proper brittle is more conplicated.

But anyway, as soon as it crystalizes pour it out on the butcher/parchment paper. Have that laid out in advance. Use your stirring implement (I have a cheap bamboo spoon) to break up any clumps of nuts. Also, put water and soap into your pan right quickly if you want the remaining sugar ever to come off. Basically, nuts out of the pan, pan into the sink, turn on the tap, back to the nuts breaking up the clumps, add soap to the pan and turn off the water when it's full, walk away for 15 minutes to let the nuts cool.

New trick: It works with the same amount of cocoa powder (unsweetened, pure cocoa powder) as with cinnamon for chocolate nuts. With hazelnuts, cocoa, and a bit of salt, you could have....

[​IMG]

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Ran 20oz prime bone-in sirloins with a bacon-scallop topper, miso-carrot puree, and wild mushroom risotto for a special tonight. $80. Killed an 8 pack case by 7:30. Should have ordered two cases.

3. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Almost smoked out my kitchen because I had the heat on the wrong burner and overheated my frying oil. All I wanted was to fry my spring rolls and turn them into not spring rolls. That was a horrible mess.

But I saved it by baking them instead. Cabbage, carrot and TVP in a Korean barbecue flavor (a packet came with the TVP). I also undercooked my broccoli because, well, the broccoli was on the burner I thought I was heating. The rice was fine! No adventure there.

All in all it was really quite delicious, I just need to remember I'm not good at frying things.

Malisky, Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    TVP... the mainstay of gas station microwave burritos! Charlie D had a car and one night we drove off base to get microwave burritos. Sat on the hood of his car and ate them, then on the way back to base I realized that he was going on deployment at the end of the week and I was getting out in two weeks. We had a quick moment of "well, probably never see you again" and that was that.

No idea what happened to him.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I made a cracker plate. Crackers, cheese, kolbassa, pickles, olives and a croissant. I like to nibble.

6. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Cracker plates/low-grade charcuterie rock! Sunday lunch sometimes looks like this around the Aschendale apartment:

cheese plate.JPG

7. Homer Potvin

A giant pile of scallops. Restaurant is closed for 48 hours and they weren't going to make it.

8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry. Well at least it's good eating.

NobodySpecial and Homer Potvin like this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    So...you used them to lure in something palatable, like rats?

Really, really not a seafood guy, sorry.

Homer Potvin and montecarlo like this.
  10. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Scallops are the only shellfish I will eat, and only if damned fresh. They can be very good.

I imagine Rhode Island is a lonely place if you don’t like seafood

Homer Potvin likes this.
  11. Homer Potvin

I hear you. And I'm sorry too. Seafood is 27% of the business model.

You can eat, but you're missing out.

12. peachalulu

Made my traditional Christmas eve quiche! Mozzarella, bacon and onions with enough left over for breakfast.

The turkey ought to be interesting tomorrow. It takes great stealth to unpack the fridge and stow the leftovers just right.

13. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Japan too.

14. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I’m bastardizing chicken parmesan. I don’t have any parmesan, so I’m using provolone and a fire roasted tomato marinara.

15. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Bambi.

with horseradish, beetroot, and shallots, plus stack of veg.

Dogberry's Watch, s.j, Xoic and 2 others like this.
  16. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Made an omelet for breakfast as opposed to my normal breakfast of....nothing. With pepperoni and cheese cause...that's what I had.

17. peachalulu

Turkey soup. The best way to use up the leftovers.

18. s.j

s.j New Member

Sounds dreamy!

Hammer likes this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I got some trisodium citrate and made some really nice nacho cheese sauce last night.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

It was a delicious Christmas lunch. I am not a vegetarian, but I do have veggie tendencies... call me veg-curious, but venison is terrific meat. Our little haunch was swapped for a bottle of ex-brother-in-law's wine by a guy who "manages" a herd of deer in woods near the vineyard, possibly the best meat I have ever eaten - certainly the best "lean and beef-like" meat.

upload_2020-12-29_9-26-55.png

full scoff - haunch of venison with roast shallots, whole carrots, beetroot, potatoes, mashed swede, steamed green beans, carrots, boiled sprouts, chestnut stuffing balls, and "3 pigs" (pieces of pork chipolata, halloumi, and frankfurter wrapped in bacon), creamed horseradish and gravy made with the meat juices (meat was cooked in port, so quite some gravy...)

I have done a fair few Christmas dinners over the years - they are usually quite stressful (it has to be good, people don't want "ok" at Christmas), but somehow this one was very easy to cook (the meat can stand for ages, the roasted veggies take a long time and can wait in a hot oven, the swede can be re-heated before mashing, gravy can simmer away... the only timing-sensitive bit really was the steamed/boiled veg)

Unless you have venison (c:

Yesterday we had "beef" in black-bean sauce and sweet shredded chilli "beef" with noodles and egg-fried rice - really amazing Christmas dinner leftover meal

(but if we'd had turkey there would have been a soup... probably with noodles)

Malisky, Dogberry's Watch and s.j like this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Turkey. Did pan stuffing yesterday, will do the bird (stuffed, you can never have too much stuffing), mashed potatoes, and gravy today. Smoker's busted so I can do a stuffed turkey. This time it's with a brandy brine, and the stuffing has sun-dried tomato and herb sausage rather than Italian.

No sage in the bird. I'm cautiously optimistic, but the brine recipe didn't call for it, so... we'll see. Also, the taters will have bits of homemade bacon mixed in. Still deciding on skins but I'm leaning towards not.

22. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

...Does it count as cooking if it's heating up store-bought barbeque wings in the oven?

Side note: cooking with a cast iron skillet is amazing because you can just plonk that bad boy right in the oven, no problem.

23. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Turkey is the one meat I refuse to eat at Christmas.

I might do my go-to recipe of beef in oyster sauce tonight. Or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, tacos.

Or if I can be arsed to cut up some chicken, chicken tom yum.

Cave Troll likes this.
  24. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I think this might be Thanksgiving, I've sort of lost track :) . Used to try and have the inlaws and a couple of friends over near American Thanksgiving but that tradition sort of died along with my mother-in-law. Just not the same without her. But I still did a turkey later on in the year, I'd do all my cooking at my house, pack everything into a cooler, and take a taxi to the inlaws' house and have dinner there. This year COVID shot that down, since both Mrs. A and I (occasionally, on my part) work outside the home my father-in-law, who is post-80, told us that visits were off this year. Can't say I blame him. So the turkey is in the oven and once it's done, I'll carve out a couple of generous portions (read: half) and box it up with the sides, they'll meet us in the parking lot next door, have a chat, and take their dinner home with them. Less than ideal, but it's a very 2020 Thankmasoween, idn't it?

Xoic and Naomasa298 like this.
  25. Homer Potvin

Polenta, meatballs, sauce, salad, barbera d'alba... peasant Italian.